Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here who is finally tired of his 02 4runner. I would love to buy a 10a but with the only offers from local dealers at MSRP, I don't think that is a wise first-time Jeep purchase.

So I think a 2014 unlimited is in my future (want the anvil;) bad). After reading many threads on the subject I think I have talked myself into a Rubicon. Here is my reasoning; I would appreciate if anyone with experience would correct any wrong assumptions or miscalculations I have.

I plan to use it as a DD but of course for fun too. I live in Colorado Springs and plan to enjoy the great state of CO. My off road experience is limited thus far but I anticipate that with the right Jeep and a willing attitude I will likely use it for moderate wheeling (fun stuff that may infrequently require another Jeep's assistance on the trail or winch out but nothing that is going to be a hit on Youtube if that gives you an idea.)

If the stock Rubicon transfer case (in a 6MT with 4.10 gears of course) and the stock lockers with 44s will handle 35 inch tires (which is what I will likely ultimately use - perhaps after warranty expires), then I think this is all I will ever need (along with a 2.5 inch lift, upgraded shocks, new bumpers and a winch of course). I think this would still be a decent DD. Initially I thought the optional LSD the sport would help with DD in mixed highway conditions in winter, but I think the benefit is mitigated by the functional BLD system which should be safe enough at appropriate speed. Plus, as I understand it, the optional LSD on the sport is a clutch pack type that will wear with use and become and open diff with time, unlike the gear type LSD's.

If the 44s and stock lockers on the Rubicon are going to likely need replacing with use of 35 inch tires and moderate (not crazy) wheeling, then I think I am better off going with a sport and after warranty ends, going nuts with d60 in the rear and an upgraded d44 in front with lots of extra goodies including maybe 37's.

The second rig no doubt would be better suited for the trail, but seeing as this is a DD I would really like to make the Rubicon version happen to keep it simple but functional and to limit NVH and improve MPG as much as possible for the 95% time I am on the road.

Last option is waiting for a 2016 diesel Rubicon and doing it right from the start:D Really tempting but every year I put off buying a Jeep is another year I am not out doing it.

I know there are lots of threads out there on the subject, but I am specifically interessted in whether a stock JKUR driveline/axle/locker can handle years of use with 35 inch tires and moderate wheeling.

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to start the Jeep phase of life!! Should be good:)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Rubicon will suite your needs very well, 35's are great with the 4.10 gears as Dailey and weekend fun. Join Tread Lightly for 1% under invoice, also order a brochure from jeep, they send a 500$ coupon, try looking further from the locals, the interworldweb is a wonderful tool.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yes, there are probably 10,000 people out there doing exactly what you're describing without replacing the rears. 2.5" lift & 35's and you're good to go. :thumb:

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you really want the 10A I'd go for it, it's not that much more $$ over a regular Rubicon and if you don't get the one you want you'll regret it everytime you drive by one on the street or trail. If you were saying a sport vs 10A I would see not giving up the $$ but Rubi vs 10A isn't that big of a jump.:whistling:

·
Registered
41 Posts
A Rubicon isn't a bad DD. the ride isn't any worse than a normal wrangler. Your axles should handle a 35". If its what you want, get it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you really want a 10a rubi, you can order a 2014 rubi x. And my jeep has 3.73 axles and I've had no problems with 35s.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just moved out of CO Springs and based off what you are saying I think you would regret getting a sport. Get the Rubicon it will handle the trails better and will give you more options in the future without having to replace axles... I just picked up the 10A. I sucked up the extra money as I liked the little things it came with and if you get the Rubicon X package your going to pay the price anyway. I say get the Rubicon and add a winch so you can get started on the trails. Good luck with your choice!
Oh make sure you get the 4.10's. In Colorado with 35's it does great. You will hate not having the 4.10's. People will have a lot of opinions on this but look at where they live. The second you get into the mountains you will want them. HAHA even heading up to Monument on the HWY you will want them ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm in Denver and am doing pretty much just what you are planning on (DD, 2.5" AEV lift, moderate wheeling including Moab, but stock tires at this time). You will definitely be disappointed if you do not get the Rubi. I have a buddy who thought he would not need or want a Rubi and is lamenting that decision every time I talk with him.:nonono:

BTW - the diesel probably won't come out until 2018, which is when the new model has been pushed back to. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use mine for pretty much exactly what you mention, daily driver and get in the CO backcountry on the weekends. My opinion for 35" tires the Rubi is the perfect platform. Make sure to get 4.10 gears. I live in Woodland Park, so running up the mountain everyday and would not want smaller gears. With the altitude we are already losing power. Just got back from a 4000 mile trip and it now rides on the highway as good or better than stock. Gas mileage sucks, but it was not good before mods so oh well. I got mine at Faircy in COS. they have been great, mod friendly and move many jeeps so they will get you a fair deal. Pic below. 2.5" lift with 35"'s.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As expected, a wealth of information indeed. Thanks for all the help! Altitude and location certainly do play a part. Good to hear the 4.10's work with 35's. I'll keep a lookout for a 10a, but am not going to hold my breath. I visited Faircy Bros and was impressed with their laid-back attitude and willingness to just roam the lot and talk Jeeps. Just what kind of gas milage should I expect from a JKUR with 35s and a 2.5 lift at 7000 ft elevation? I am hoping for 16 or 17 hwy. Cheers!

·
Registered
473 Posts
As expected, a wealth of information indeed. Thanks for all the help! Altitude and location certainly do play a part. Good to hear the 4.10's work with 35's. I'll keep a lookout for a 10a, but am not going to hold my breath. I visited Faircy Bros and was impressed with their laid-back attitude and willingness to just roam the lot and talk Jeeps. Just what kind of gas milage should I expect from a JKUR with 35s and a 2.5 lift at 7000 ft elevation? I am hoping for 16 or 17 hwy. Cheers!
16 on a good day :wavey: I averaged 14-16 mixed driving in CO. I am getting about the same here in NE LOL I am now driving a 4 door Rubi 10A with an auto tranny.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just what kind of gas milage should I expect from a JKUR with 35s and a 2.5 lift at 7000 ft elevation? I am hoping for 16 or 17 hwy. Cheers!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I get 19 on the highway, on a good day, in a stock Sport S running a 3.21 rear end pushing 32"s at sea level. And after years in a 2000 TJ I'm HAPPY.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
If you are in Colorado Springs, and you actually plan on using the features, than a Rubi would make sense long term.

If you are going to be on the road 95% of the time and are concerned about mpg...well...you are going to have to make the call. If you plan on going to 35's, with a lift, winch, and bumpers, you need to throw mpg out the window.

One more thing, BLD is not a substitute for LSD. BLD is the computer using your brakes like LSD (in certain situations), to imitate a locker. You might be thinking of the traction control system.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you are in Colorado Springs, and you actually plan on using the features, than a Rubi would make sense long term.

If you are going to be on the road 95% of the time and are concerned about mpg...well...you are going to have to make the call. If you plan on going to 35's, with a lift, winch, and bumpers, you need to throw mpg out the window.

One more thing, BLD is not a substitute for LSD. BLD is the computer using your brakes like LSD (in certain situations), to imitate a locker. You might be thinking of the traction control system.
I learned something about BLD this weekend. Or at least if I understood what was said I learned something. Guy we were with broke his front passenger axle. Because he had open diffs he only had rear traction after that happened. The guys (again, if I understood) said that if he had lockers he could have locked the front to give power to the front driver wheel. Without the lockers BLD was always sending power to the side that was broken which was useless.

Seems at least one argument for having lockers is if you happen to get into that situation you still have some options to drive out by sending some amount of power to both the front and rear. In the case of yesterday with only BLD to rely on he had to be towed/winched most of the way out.

Sound about right?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I learned something about BLD this weekend. Or at least if I understood what was said I learned something. Guy we were with broke his front passenger axle. Because he had open diffs he only had rear traction after that happened. The guys (again, if I understood) said that if he had lockers he could have locked the front to give power to the front driver wheel. Without the lockers BLD was always sending power to the side that was broken which was useless.

Seems at least one argument for having lockers is if you happen to get into that situation you still have some options to drive out by sending some amount of power to both the front and rear. In the case of yesterday with only BLD to rely on he had to be towed/winched most of the way out.

Sound about right?
Very interesting....
Yeah, I guess if something broke, and BLD could kick in because it thinks the broken axle is actually a wheel spinning or at least a wheel where an open diff is sending power to because it has the lease resistance.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
New member here who is finally tired of his 02 4runner. I would love to buy a 10a but with the only offers from local dealers at MSRP, I don't think that is a wise first-time Jeep purchase.

I am also a first time Jeep owner.
And I went 10A and never looked back!
Glad I did, I love it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts