Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The owner is a good friend of mine that recently got a brand new jeep. This one is completely refurbished with nearly all parts exchanged within the last 5 years. However the rusted frame is concerning me. I know these pictures are not the best, however I was wondering what someone more familiar with Jeeps would say about it's worth? Or if the rust makes it too risky of an investment?

Thank you!

·
Registered
715 Posts
need better photos of frame/skid plates and exhaust and price.

I bought a beater TJ that came from the rust belt, was a fun little machine but plan on spending money on a total new exhaust/cat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
need better photos of frame/skid plates and exhaust and price.

I bought a beater TJ that came from the rust belt, was a fun little machine but plan on spending money on a total new exhaust/cat.
Thanks Jeff. Here is a list of amenities/maintenance history. I know this doesnt help with rust pictures, but I see he mentions a frame replacement in 2017. He is trying to get $6500.

·
Registered
715 Posts
That rather answers the exhaust system and frame. I think most folks here thought the 4.0 liter was their best overall engine. I would expect later to see rust bubbling on the lower side panels, it is like a living thing, it was with mine.
Mileage is always a factor as is what is the purpose and use of the vehicle, you have probably already checked Craig's list for going price. If me, would offer less knowing how rust will continue to live. Other's will chime in.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
If the frame was replaced, how is the tub?
if the tub is OK and it drives OK, go for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the frame was replaced, how is the tub?
if the tub is OK and it drives OK, go for it.

I went out and drove/inspected today. It looks and feels in good condition, floor plans may need replacing within a couple years and radiator doesnt cool well. Probably around $300 in fixes?

Another question of mine would be: if the new engine they threw in has 30k miles on it, can I expect quite a few more years considering I take care of it? It would be my main vehicle.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The more I hear, the more it may be a salvage title. Sounds like it has been in salt water, if the floor is going to be replaced in a few years...I would walk away unless super cheap, I mean cheap and buyer beware. I would not touch it myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts