Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an ad on Craigslist for a set of axles. Dana 44 high pinion front and a Dana 60 rear for $450. Is this worth it? They both came off an old Ford and are full size axles, complete from hub to hub, front disc rear drum. He's sending pics tomorrow but he said there's a little bit of surface rust, but definitely not scrap metal.

If they are in decent working condition, would they be worth it? He's not sure of the gearing but was told they were matching.

I'm eager to hear what you all have to say!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If you do end up buying them pull the diff covers off and see what they look like on the inside. Pull the shafts out and make sure they aren't twisted. Where the splines on the shafts are is a common place to twist. ask him to pull the covers and show you the inside. Im sure the fluid needs replacing anyways. Looking at the inside and stuff is only the best way to tell how good they are.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I could be wrong, but, I had an old 79 F-250, that had the same set up. The only problem i would see if i remember correctly, is the Dana 44 frontend is a passenger side drop. Meaning the driveshaft is on the passenger side instead of drivers side like a YJ.

If the 44 is from an F-150, it wont work because of the radius arm brackets are part of the housing. Most of the older F-150's had a 9" rear, but some of them had a Dana 60, they were known as the camper special heavy half ton with the towing package.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
0III0forlife said:
I could be wrong, but, I had an old 79 F-250, that had the same set up. The only problem i would see if i remember correctly, is the Dana 44 frontend is a passenger side drop. Meaning the driveshaft is on the passenger side instead of drivers side like a YJ.

If the 44 is from an F-150, it wont work because of the radius arm brackets are part of the housing. Most of the older F-150's had a 9" rear, but some of them had a Dana 60, they were known as the camper special heavy half ton with the towing package.

You sure its a passenger side drop? I know the d60 fronts for fords are driver side drop which makes them ideal. Never looked into d44s. I really like the fact that they're full width too. I wanna go SOA and adding some width to compensate for height would be nice haha

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I would try to get a 60 front why waste the time and money on a 1/2ton axle its no more work to swap in a 60 over a 44 and its a much better axle.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
i just don't see the point in wasting money on a 44. Its not really any better then the 30 you have at the end of the day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts