Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to the Wrangler world (but I used to have a Cherokee) and I've got a question.

I'd love to know if anyone more knowledgeable about Jeeps would make the deal that I have been presented with.

I have a motorcycle that I wanted to sell or trade in order to get a Wrangler. I priced the bike at $5800 and a friend of a friend said he has a Wrangler that he might want to trade. I'd be trading the bike straight up and using the Wrangler as my daily driver so I'm not looking to get into something that will require immediate work.

The Jeep offered for trade is as follows:
1999 Wrangler Sahara
Black with Tan hardtop
5 speed
A/C (new compressor)

Jeep has 300k on it and supposedly doesn't leak or use any oil. This is the current owners description when I asked about anything being rebuilt:

"The engine/clutch/Transfer case/ front differential have never been touched. Only serviced and inspected. A dealer put the wrong oil in rear end and I had to replace it did axles as well. Power steering pump was replaced and I recently install a new set of headers with bellow style pipe that avoids cracking. I have a new A/C unit to replace original due to electric clutch had become intermittent. You can check it out but engine uses no oil and the clutch pack flywheel is within tolerance. Never been off road but I do run 4x4 on occasion to keep lubed. Has nice amped stereo cd with 10's behind rear seat. Black with tan HT the green and tan Sahara interior. I will still send a pic. Oh I forgot I serviced the front end and replaced steering box. Battery is high amp best made."

I haven't seen the Jeep yet but, going off the assumption that it is squeaky clean, would anyone with more Jeep experience "buy" a Wrangler with 300k miles on it?

I've been looking on Craigslist and it looks like, for $5k, I'd be hard pressed to find a 6cyl, 5 speed YJ with A/C (gotta have A/C as I'm a wuss in the summer). I can find 4cyl YJ's with A/C but they all have 125k to 150k miles on them and most look a bit rough around the edges.

I guess I feel that I could buy one of them and still have the motor go kaplooey on me.

So the real question (besides the initial "would you...." one) is, "Does impeccable maintenance trump really high mileage?"

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Kenn

·
Vendor
6,288 Posts
Take it to a mechanic you trust and give it a once over. Also, make sure a compression and leakdown test are done. This will tell you if you will be looking into a new motor soon. Never touched the clutch? That sounds iffy. How many miles has he owned this rig?

MECHANIC MECHANIC MECHANIC

P.S. I would not buy that high of mileage rig unless I was planning on a full build anyway. Probably less $$ too. Ask for cash in the deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AOR for the feedback. I'm pretty much leaning in that direction but I'm just bummed as every other part of the Jeep sounds perfect for me. Oh well....guess I'll just wait and see if the bike sells and then search again.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just chiming in to see which one was the typo - Is it a 1999 or is it a YJ? Because if it's a YJ with 300k on the clock, you're going to need him to give you that and like $3000+. If it's a 1999 TJ with 300k on the 'ol ticker, Kelly Blue Book says you need to see at least $1200 from him in addition. Either way, he's looking at paying you AND giving up the Jeep. I'd also want to check it out (or if you're not mechanically inclined, which is fine...not everyone is, I'd have a reputable tech look at it).

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Just chiming in to see which one was the typo - Is it a 1999 or is it a YJ? Because if it's a YJ with 300k on the clock, you're going to need him to give you that and like $3000+. If it's a 1999 TJ with 300k on the 'ol ticker, Kelly Blue Book says you need to see at least $1200 from him in addition. Either way, he's looking at paying you AND giving up the Jeep. I'd also want to check it out (or if you're not mechanically inclined, which is fine...not everyone is, I'd have a reputable tech look at it).
I had the same confusion. 300K miles would be more believable on an '89 YJ vs a '99 TJ.
OP, if it's an '89 YJ, I would pass. I doubt I would pull the trigger for an even swap if it's a 1999 TJ. That mileage scares me if it's on the original engine/trans/clutch.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I had the same confusion. 300K miles would be more believable on an '89 YJ vs a '99 TJ.
OP, if it's an '89 YJ, I would pass. I doubt I would pull the trigger for an even swap if it's a 1999 TJ. That mileage scares me if it's on the original engine/trans/clutch.
I got the impression the OP was just comparing prices to YJ's that he had seen for sale.

I agree with the others, I bought my "99' TJ with 120,000 miles about 3 years ago for $5500. and it was very clean before I got my hands on it...:D. I bought it right compared to what others of that year were going for at the time, but still.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone...yeah sorry for the confusion. The Jeep in question is a 99 TJ and, yes, I was saying that for the basic outlay of "cash" that it would take to get me into that one I've only really been able to find 89-95 YJ's on Craigslist here in Florida. Most of those don't have A/C and most of them are the 4 cyl.

I'm not entirely opposed to the 4 cyl other than it will be my daily driver and I'll need to go faster than 55mph on the highway sometimes. LOL. Also I know the 4.0L (and 4.2L) can last forever and a day but the smaller 4 cyl is a bit of an unknown.

I've decided to at least take a look at the Jeep when the guy gets back in town and then go from there. If it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor inside and out and there isn't any rust hiding in out of the way places then I'd see about having my mechanic look at it. And depending on what he found out I'd then decide if it's worth doing or not; with the understanding that I'd immediately have to start putting money away for "stuff" when it breaks.

I'll be sure to update this post (maybe even with a picture if he ever sends me one like he's supposed to) and let you all know what's going on.

Thanks again for all the advice and thoughts. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts