Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm wanting to do a stereo upgrade to my 07 JKU Sahara. It has the infinity system with sub in the rear. I've been into audio for many years, installed many over the years but don't quite understand how this factory setup works.

What I'm trying to understand is if the factory system has an external amplifier which drives the sub and if so, where is it located and is it possible to tie into it with an aftermarket head unit (I think this is yes for both).

If it's all part of the factory head unit, I don't have a problem adding an external amp to drive the sub.

I'm looking at the Alpine ILX-W650 due to features and it's ability to have 2 cameras. I'm wanting to have the typical backup cam, but also adding a front cam for when needed.

I understand I can get the double DIN mounting kit to mount the Alpine and wiring adapter kits which state it can be used with the factory subwoofer which is why I feel the amp is external.

For those of you who have been through this before, can you enlighten me ?

I've tried the search but not able to find the answers I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
932 Posts
It is my understanding that both the premium Infinity and Alpine factory systems utilize an amp that is external from the head unit and if you use the appropriate wiring kit to connect your new head unit into the factory wiring, you will continue to use that external amp(s). I installed the Alpine I209-WRA restyle kit in my 13 JKU with factory Alpine system and the sub works as it did with the factory head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is my understanding that both the premium Infinity and Alpine factory systems utilize an amp that is external from the head unit and if you use the appropriate wiring kit to connect your new head unit into the factory wiring, you will continue to use that external amp(s). I installed the Alpine I209-WRA restyle kit in my 13 JKU with factory Alpine system and the sub works as it did with the factory head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you and very nice setup. More than I want to spend though on a weekend driver.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
What I did with my 09 with the Infinity system is the following:

1. Replaced the HU with Pioneer. First was a AVHX-2700BS. Replaced that with a AVH2300NEX for Apple Carplay. The stock HU attenuates the highs and lows. I think it is to protect the amp and speakers. Been running this for almost 4 years now.

2. Tweeter mod. Search for it. If you replace the cap in the tweeter it will lower the cutoff frequency from 15khz to 5 khz. It "brightens" up the dash.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-tweeter-mod-cheap-662985.html

3. Speaker mod. Replace the speakers in the sound bar with 2 ohm speakers. Doubles the power. Haven't killed the amp yet.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/speaker-upgrade-infinity-6032si-904409.html

4 Sub mod. Replace the stock sub with a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/subwoofer-mod-replacement-921921.html

I am picky about my sound and this combo gets me good clean loud sound. Not sure what they are substituting for the 6032 speakers in the sound bar as those are discontinued. Read through those postings and I highly recommend doing that before you drop a ton into amps and sub enclosures.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I just installed this unit 2 weeks ago from Crutchfield. Keeps the steering control and amp. Usually just use the Bluetooth to the phone for Pandora, but like the Carplay to show waze on the screen during trips. Also hooked up a front cam. Haven't found it very useful yet though. The audio control options really brought the stock speakers to life. Bit bright at nite for my liking, but aver all very happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I did with my 09 with the Infinity system is the following:

1. Replaced the HU with Pioneer. First was a AVHX-2700BS. Replaced that with a AVH2300NEX for Apple Carplay. The stock HU attenuates the highs and lows. I think it is to protect the amp and speakers. Been running this for almost 4 years now.

2. Tweeter mod. Search for it. If you replace the cap in the tweeter it will lower the cutoff frequency from 15khz to 5 khz. It "brightens" up the dash.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-tweeter-mod-cheap-662985.html

3. Speaker mod. Replace the speakers in the sound bar with 2 ohm speakers. Doubles the power. Haven't killed the amp yet.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/speaker-upgrade-infinity-6032si-904409.html

4 Sub mod. Replace the stock sub with a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/subwoofer-mod-replacement-921921.html

I am picky about my sound and this combo gets me good clean loud sound. Not sure what they are substituting for the 6032 speakers in the sound bar as those are discontinued. Read through those postings and I highly recommend doing that before you drop a ton into amps and sub enclosures.

wow, thank you very much, I wasn't aware of these mods, looks simple too and makes alot of sense.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just installed this unit 2 weeks ago from Crutchfield. Keeps the steering control and amp. Usually just use the Bluetooth to the phone for Pandora, but like the Carplay to show waze on the screen during trips. Also hooked up a front cam. Haven't found it very useful yet though. The audio control options really brought the stock speakers to life. Bit bright at nite for my liking, but aver all very happy with it.
Great feedback ! Thank you very much. I'm sure the front cam will rarely get used, but I have a couple spares laying around so I figured, why not???

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
With the aftermarket HU youll want to purchase a PAC RP4CH11 so you retain the factory subwoofer.
That is you can-bus adapter. With that adapter you will loose your fader. I had one with the first Pioneer that I installed. With the NEX I used a Maestro from iDatalink. For some odd reason, some engineer at Chrysler thought it would be a great idea to send the fader signal through the data network instead of from the the HU itself. The Maestro will allow access to the data network if the HU supports it. If you go to their site and input the car and the HU it will tell you what is supported.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts