Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a buddy of mine looking at a 2007 Unlimited. It has just over 50k miles and is in OUTSTANDING condition in and out. Only concern that I have in looking over it is some rust under the body. We're in Florida so we don't deal with this much. Thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have almost 65,000 miles on my JK and very little corrision. The rust in the photos looks excessive to me. I think it has been exposed to corrosive salts over the years. It's not the only Jeep for sale, so I would pass and find something in better condition.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Check the VIN. Make sure it wasn't submerged at some point (ie Superstorm Sandy, etc). If it's in immaculate condition with low miles it could have been sitting idle for a long time which would explain the miles and be detailed thoroughly to hide the watermarks. Here in the Northeast I saw tons of nice vehicles that fell victims to water in used car dealerships.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
i have the same question although my jeep is in california and has less than 2000 miles... i know it was customized by the dealership but should the drivetrain (driveshaft) already have rust on it? it still has a sticker on it too....

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they pre-rust the drivelines at the factory, lol
Agreed. My driveline has plenty of surface rust. The one in question has more rust in other areas and that's the concern.

As far as the question on price, it's somewhat irrelevant. If the rust is going to be an issue, then it's a decision to either be ok with it or walk away.

Question I guess is now that it's in Florida and not near the coast, will the rust get worse or just stay as is? Really looking a the 2nd pic as the driveline isn't that bad and the bracket for the side step doesn't really matter anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got a buddy of mine looking at a 2007 Unlimited. It has just over 50k miles and is in OUTSTANDING condition in and out. Only concern that I have in looking over it is some rust under the body. We're in Florida so we don't deal with this much. Thoughts?
That looks a little deeper than regular old surface rust to me. I'd walk away.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Much of what is shown is along the front suspension and the side steps. What does the frame, floor pans and the typical areas where Wranglers start to rust look like... especially along the welds? My 2010 started to show signs of surface rust and I put some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on it. Covered well.

Depending on price it may be worth it... hard tellin.

JB

·
Registered
161 Posts
Agreed. My driveline has plenty of surface rust. The one in question has more rust in other areas and that's the concern.

As far as the question on price, it's somewhat irrelevant. If the rust is going to be an issue, then it's a decision to either be ok with it or walk away.

Question I guess is now that it's in Florida and not near the coast, will the rust get worse or just stay as is? Really looking a the 2nd pic as the driveline isn't that bad and the bracket for the side step doesn't really matter anyway.
Pass on that Jeep, especially since you're in FL. There are PLENTY of southern kept Jeeps here. The rust WILL continue to eat away at the metal. The only way to stop rust from spreading is to remove it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
i have the same question although my jeep is in california and has less than 2000 miles... i know it was customized by the dealership but should the drivetrain (driveshaft) already have rust on it? it still has a sticker on it too....
Yes. The driveshaft isn't treated. Once it has a coating of rust it will be like that and last for the life of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Yes. The driveshaft isn't treated. Once it has a coating of rust it will be like that and last for the life of the vehicle.
ok, thanks! wouldn't the oxidation continue to get worse? being a jeep newbie with a bit of chemistry background i was concerned about the rust... just is strange to be a new part that is already rusty not to mention with a part sticker on it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts