Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 2008 wrangler jk X at a Mitsubishi dealership, has 164k - 2 owners - clean car fax. Waiting on a phone call back with more details. Assuming this will need a tranny if not replaced already, maybe I can have the dealership throw that in for 10k total? How much does a transmission cost? The salesman said they're asking 8k but wasn't sure if an employee was going to buy it, and would call me back.

Assuming a certified dealership wouldn't sell a vehicle with major problems, would you jump on this? Would be my daily driver, for at least a year or two.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Why would you assume it needs a tranny? I know of a bunch of 07-09 Wranglers with that type of mileage and no tranny issues. Did the dealer tell you it had a tranny problem? $8K is cheap....I would look it over good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would you assume it needs a tranny? I know of a bunch of 07-09 Wranglers with that type of mileage and no tranny issues. Did the dealer tell you it had a tranny problem? $8K is cheap....I would look it over good.

I just figured 160 something thousand miles in 8 years seemed like a bunch, I guess not if it was maintained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quick search only shows 4 JKs in the country under $9k, and all are salvaged and not repaired. I'd say jump on it.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I wouldn't expect an $8k JK to be able to serve as a DD for 2 years if it didn't need something... A trans will probably cost closer to $5k installed at warranty rate.

Frankly, I would be more curious about the 3.8L engine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They called back to set up an appointment to check it, they offered to lift it up and go over everything w the repair center, so we'll see what happens. They want 7,999 and she told me to her knowledge everything runs and works fine. Can't deny I'm intrigued

·
Registered
366 Posts
If it's the 4 door, make sure it actually has 4 wheel drive. For some reason, Jeep made a few early JKU's 2 wheel drive. If you plan on building it, by the time you put a front axle and transfer case in it, you might be looking upwards of $13000 depending on parts. Other than that, if it checks out, I would go for it.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I'm at just under 191K in an '08 JKU - original engine and trans with regular maint. - second owner... no worries - I would expect another 100k from what I've read...

Now - it will consume some oil - its just what the 3.8L is known for... about a quart every couple of months in my case.

If the frame is solid and it runs/drives well - its a steal. I paid $13K for mine last year.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Maybe you but if not - Have someone that knows what they are looking at check the Frame. That age that will be the tell.
Measure it and see if it has swelled. IF swell - walk away for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it needs a tranny, in gonna see if they can add it to the price , but I'm going to look at it with the repair shop at the dealership on the loft

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
for $8K in good shape, I would jump on it!

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I just figured 160 something thousand miles in 8 years seemed like a bunch, I guess not if it was maintained

That mileage/age tells me - Highway miles. My concern (as stated) would be rust.
IF no serious rust issue with the Frame - that is a decent deal and I'd grab it.

I have a '99 close to here with only 90k runs great (4.0 6cyl) asking $5,000. With the Frame the way it is - PASS.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Something smells a bit fishy. I'd waffle and waver, then let it be sold to someone else, then bitch and moan about losing a great $8k deal, while the new owner is realizing, oops, $8k doesn't include floorboards.

The bitching and moaning is free, too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Something smells a bit fishy. I'd waffle and waver, then let it be sold to someone else, then bitch and moan about losing a great $8k deal, while the new owner is realizing, oops, $8k doesn't include floorboards.

The bitching and moaning is free, too.

Haha! Car fax shows it was well maintained w oil changes regularly etc, just has a lot of Milage, I'm wondering why it's so below kbb value when nothing fishy shows l up on the car fax and was told they'd never sell a car that needed a ton of things replaced. It's a Mitsubishi dealer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts