Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to order a JKUR and I am on the fence when it comes to the 730N vs. 430N.

Coming from the German car world, I am used to what some call a "confusing" nav interface on the 730 so that is not a concern. I am also aware of the different features between th two options.

Given your experience with reliability, would you go with the 730N again and why?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would say no. I am good with car audio tho. For the price of the 730 i can just about put a full system in a jeep.

Even if you have to have a shop do it i still say save your money. Take the money you save and get a top of the line head unit put in and your jeep will sound much better and still have just as many options if not more.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am not real familiar with the 430 but the 730n has been incredible so far very easy to use and the sound is very good I didn't even realize all the options it has, but i have paired 3 phones to it and put my itunes library on the hard drive. Best stock stereo I've ever had, blows away my old harmon kardon that was in my land rover

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am not real familiar with the 430 but the 730n has been incredible so far very easy to use and the sound is very good I didn't even realize all the options it has, but i have paired 3 phones to it and put my itunes library on the hard drive. Best stock stereo I've ever had, blows away my old harmon kardon that was in my land rover
When transferring your iTunes library to the hard drive, do you have to reformat the songs to MP3? I just bought a Grand Cherokee for my wife and would like to load her library. Thanks!

481 Posts
Yes, I have found it easy to use. I like the voice options. I also like recording the trails I run. I use an ipod/iphone and don't transfer my music to the hard drive, as it is a duplication of effort.

·
Registered
355 Posts
No, absolutely not. I have had the 730N on my GC for over 10 months and it still loses the home address within 2-3 days of reseting it, plus losing presets on a regular basis. The voice recognition does not work at all anymore and I have had a customer service case open on it for over 3 months, after repeated visits to the dealership. There are other forums where this is a regular topic of discussion and frustration.

Chrysler will no longer replace radios in an attempt to fix them and the last call I had from my customer service agent had the message of "We do not have a fix at this time and have no idea of a timeframe for a fix". Now, these problems did not occur until a couple of months of ownership so you may have good luck with it for a while, then like mine and many others it may or may not go belly up to a certain degree.

That is why I ordered the 430N in my Rubicon. There was no way I was going to risk having similar problems with the new one, not that there haven't been some issues with the 430, but I believe most of them have been corrected...I hope.

·
Registered
338 Posts
fireron said:
No, absolutely not. I have had the 730N on my GC for over 10 months and it still loses the home address within 2-3 days of reseting it, plus losing presets on a regular basis. The voice recognition does not work at all anymore and I have had a customer service case open on it for over 3 months, after repeated visits to the dealership. There are other forums where this is a regular topic of discussion and frustration.

Chrysler will no longer replace radios in an attempt to fix them and the last call I had from my customer service agent had the message of "We do not have a fix at this time and have no idea of a timeframe for a fix". Now, these problems did not occur until a couple of months of ownership so you may have good luck with it for a while, then like mine and many others it may or may not go belly up to a certain degree.

That is why I ordered the 430N in my Rubicon. There was no way I was going to risk having similar problems with the new one, not that there haven't been some issues with the 430, but I believe most of them have been corrected...I hope.
Why would Chrysler not replace a malfunctioning radio? I mean if it is broken and they cannot fix it, isn't it under warranty? Strange.

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
No way!:nonono:

If you have ever owned a good (doesn't even have to be a great) after market radio/nav unit this one will be a huge disappointment.

Use the search function and settle in to read why this is a waste of money.

I started a 730N thread here:http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/the-730n-rhr-q-and-a-thread-133496.html, but it is not picking up much steam. No one has answers for the lack of quality features of this unit.:banghead:

·
Registered
355 Posts
The replacements radios did not solve the problem(s). If interested, PM me and I will let you know the other forum and you can read the problems folks are having for yourself. Customer Service also told me they will no longer replace defective units as replacement has not helped so far.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the 730n but I didnt really know of a big difference when I bought it. it is just what came on my jeep off the lot. still not sure what ALL of the differences are.

If I had it to do over again I would have ordered with the 430n. I only really like the head unit cause I can control my ipod and leave the ipod in the center console and eventually just put the music on the hard drive.

I dont really use the nav and havnt found a use for the voice recognition yet but I would love to be able to show my mph on the screen (not sure why I want it to show it, just seems cool) and i remember reading some other things the 430 can show you that the 730 does not but cant recal what all it was.

To me it seems like the 430 should have been the more expensive upgraded version.

·
Registered
145 Posts
jimmyzwheelz said:
When transferring your iTunes library to the hard drive, do you have to reformat the songs to MP3? I just bought a Grand Cherokee for my wife and would like to load her library. Thanks!
All I did was copy and paste my itunes library onto a thumb drive then use the usb port to dl it on the hd, that also works to put your itunes music on any non ipod/iPhone like my android phone

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like my 730N, mostly for the Nav and satellite functions. The Sirius traffic and weather is sweet, don't know if that's available on the 430. Sound quality is not as good as what I expected, that may be common to both units however. At first, the VR seemed like a lot of work, but once you learn how to use the voice commands, it's pretty good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have had my 730n for about 4 months now, love it and have had no problems to date. I was concerned when I ordered that the nav was not garmin but when I realized the map update data comes from the same company...well did not seem to bother me as much. I pair multiple phones and leave a 160gb Ipod in the center concole. I agree that it is a little pricy as compared to aftermarket systems but one point to consider that everyone seems to forget, stock systems are covered under the veh warranty, aftermarket, 1 year, maybe. Good luck

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
All I did was copy and paste my itunes library onto a thumb drive then use the usb port to dl it on the hd, that also works to put your itunes music on any non ipod/iPhone like my android phone
I have gone as fast as to simply leave a flash drive plugged into the center console.
it's selectable as another source

·
Registered
18 Posts
One thing that the 730 has, that I'm not sure the 430 has, is navigation by GPS coordinates.

On some of our more out of the way rides where all we had was a landnav map because there are no roads, the "put in a coordinate and get where you want to go" has been very good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree that it is a little pricy as compared to aftermarket systems but one point to consider that everyone seems to forget, stock systems are covered under the veh warranty, aftermarket, 1 year, maybe. Good luck
Also, and I may be way off on this, but it seems to me that factory head units are not as tempting to someone looking to rip out your stereo. even if it is a nav stereo.

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
Looking to order a JKUR and I am on the fence when it comes to the 730N vs. 430N.

Coming from the German car world, I am used to what some call a "confusing" nav interface on the 730 so that is not a concern. I am also aware of the different features between th two options.

Given your experience with reliability, would you go with the 730N again and why?
If the search option here on the forum is too complicated I would not recommend the 730.:redface:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts