Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I know that's bit of an oxymoron since yjs (mine included) can be a money pit sometimes. I know it's not a classic or collectible by any means but I find strange comfort knowing it's a safety net meaning if my house burned down and I lost all my cash and hackers drained my bank account and I lost my job tomorrow, the yj could be considered a liquid assest to stay affloat meaning I can probably sell it at around 8k and Im fairly certain as long as I don't crash it/f it up, it won't depreciate yearly as modern cars do. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
452 Posts
As with my guns, if I can buy them, use them and easily sell them later for break even or a little more, then yes, it is an investment.

If I had to dump $2-3k in a $3k vehicle I could only get $4500 for later, than no, it's not an investment. But that's what toys are for! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
No, i have way more money invested in my jeep than i would ever get out of it if i tried to sell it. But thats fine because it's not for sale and never will be.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I looked at the investment charts. YJ's, beannie babies and NASCAR commemorative plates are all the same grade of investments.

An asset yes, an investment, no.

·
Super Moderator
13,957 Posts
INVESTMENT???? HA!!!

If my investment manager gave me the "return" on my investments that my YJ does, I'd have my 'business associates' Louie and Guido go visit him.

There's no way I could ever recover all the money I 'invested' in my Jeep. Especially if I had to pay someone to do the work.

That said, If I had to pay to rent a vehicle to do what I do with my YJ, I might be money ahead.

Fun Costs. I don't drink, use drugs, chase women, have an airplane or a boat. All those things are expensive. My YJ may be an inexpensive vice....It could be worse. I could have a yacht.

My Jeep replaces a long series of H-D Road King motorcycles. The costs for the running the motorcycles (wife rode a V-Rod) was a little more than the Jeep.

Fun Costs. Getting old sucks.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, I can think of only one scenario in which my jeep could be considered an investment.
When I die, someone's gonna inherit it - for free - and therefore made a killing!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would argue that there is some collectible value to them. And it would definitely qualify as a classic car as time goes on. Jeeps have been around since the 40s, and we own the one with a drastic design change that lasted for only seven years. I think that’s got to count for something, but maybe only to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
INVESTMENT???? HA!!!

If my investment manager gave me the "return" on my investments that my YJ does, I'd have my 'business associates' Louie and Guido go visit him.

There's no way I could ever recover all the money I 'invested' in my Jeep. Especially if I had to pay someone to do the work.

That said, If I had to pay to rent a vehicle to do what I do with my YJ, I might be money ahead.

Fun Costs. I don't drink, use drugs, chase women, have an airplane or a boat. All those things are expensive. My YJ may be an inexpensive vice....It could be worse. I could have a yacht.

My Jeep replaces a long series of H-D Road King motorcycles. The costs for the running the motorcycles (wife rode a V-Rod) was a little more than the Jeep.

Fun Costs. Getting old sucks.

Good Luck, L.M.
I agree with LuckyMac here, just I still have 4 Harleys and my Ol-Lady [wife] has two 1946 HDs, a 80" flathead and a 61" knucklehead, now that hers are over 70 years old, they are an Investment she has had for years, but the YJ is a Money Pit, maybe 50 years from now it will bring the Grand kids some money too! :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine is definitely an investment. It gets me to the highway in bad weather. My drive way is 2 and 1/2 miles (shortest way) of lava flow, deep mud (during monsoon), 4 foot snow drifts (winter time) and just plain gruesome non-maintaned Arizona ranch roads. And I have an extra firewall computer stashed away in a Faraday cage in case of an emp event. It's paid for and after 2 years of fiddling with it and replacing every piece of drive train and most of the wiring it actually drives darn good (knock on wood). I guess the definition of investment is in the eye (pocket book?) of the owner of these mysterious machines. Just enjoy it and know it will always be worth something to someone.

Reactions: Instructor9

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mine was an investment since I traded a Triumph for it just before winter time.

Several thousands later...that thought process is now gone. I'm definitely in the hole.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got mine for such a sweet price and then traded my way into an almost free set of doors and a hard top that I could sell it for at least a couple thousand more than I have in it, but I'd hardly call it an investment. It certainly isn't a money pit at this time though. We'll see how that plays out in years to come.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My yj certainly was an investment, as much as any vehicle purchase is. But it saves slot of money over the lifetime of the vehicle. Suppose instead of buying a YJ for 5k, I bought a new suv for 30k. Not only do I save a ton of money because I can pay the 5k in cash and avoid any interest payment, but I'm also not losing any money to depreciation. I can save further by investing in tools and knowledge (education is priceless) and doing most of the maintainence myself. I estimate I'll put in about $1000 per year maintainence so over 10 years in the yj I still won't have paid even close to the 30k to match the first day cost of a new vehicle. It's a good deal!

·
Super Moderator
13,957 Posts
CHeimCO make a good statement. Compared to a new JL for $45K+, my YJ is a good deal.
One thing he didn't mention is keeping my poor old brain functioning. I have to figure out how to do a whole lot with not too much.
I have to search CL for deals and plan on what mod comes next. I'm constantly learning how to do things and how to adapt what tools I have to the task at hand.
The most complicated thing I think I've done was to remove the computer and all the related rats nest of wiring and at the same time I pulled my dash to paint it and to also install a HEI distributor. Figuring out what wires to cut out and which wires to keep took a whole lot of thinking.

In Colorado, the cost of buying or renewing your license plates is based on the value of your vehicle. My plates are cheap.

An investment is where you expect to end up with more money than you started with.
My Jeep is a toy and a good deal. I might get half out of it from what I put into it.
Until it's worth a lot more than I've put into it, it's not for sale.

Good Luck, L.M.

Good luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
My dinner was an investment.... had a 7x7 at steak and shake tonight.... the sandwich was $9.99 plus a drink came to $11.xx.....

Honestly I expect a crappy R.O.I.......

·
Super Moderator
13,957 Posts
My dinner was an investment.... had a 7x7 at steak and shake tonight.... the sandwich was $9.99 plus a drink came to $11.xx.....

Honestly I expect a crappy R.O.I.......
I know what you mean. Everything I eat turns to sh**.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Instructor9

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its as good as it gets

I have had my YJ since new (1995) its never been to the dealer i have always done the maintenance,always parked in the garage not a scratch on her.
I don't care if its not worth much she mine and i love it!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have had my YJ since new (1995) its never been to the dealer i have always done the maintenance,always parked in the garage not a scratch on her.
I don't care if its not worth much she mine and i love it!
Wanna sell it?:bop:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts