Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Would you trade your JK for a Raptor?

13K views 125 replies 62 participants last post by  getlucky 
#1 ·
I just think the Raptor is the only other truck that comes close to the JK in the cool department. Yet, it's much rarer, and thus, unique... Man, I'm struggling with this...

#5 ·
....I wouldn't trade my JK for CASH MONEY!!!!

#8 ·
The only thing that bugs me about the JK is its shoddy quality. And no, I don't wanna hear about 'your' Jeep and how it's perfect and rides like a Caddy...Yeah... The Raptor is unique, and it comes with a much higher quality rating...but it'll cost you.

#114 ·
I've owned enough to disagree about the shoddy quality remark; maybe you meant fit/finish is low-rent compared to say a Range Rover?

With regards to shoddy quality (or robust design), the Raptor isn't better than a JK or even a unibody WK2 GC in one important area: frame strength. Raptors have a nasty reputation for bending their frames when going off road and it's not isolated incidents. I say this as one who generally I likes (and has owned) Ford trucks.

#12 ·
straight up? not only yes but hell yes.

#19 ·
Buy a caddy if you want caddy.

Fast SUV is one thing. Fast capable SUV is another. I want we a range rover sport sc but it felt too small and a step back from my 5.7L durango.

The caddy is roomy, fast, and luxury. I like the raptor, but not over my jk. I love my jk.
Caddy's are goofy looking.... It's just that a lot of Jeep slappies will reference them when describing their jk's...

#21 ·
Nope. When i had my Silverado SS i usta walk on ford raptors. The truck is way to played up. The only people around here who have them are jersey shore look alikes who bought them bc its high off the ground and has stickers on it. I do love my wrangler but if i could go back in time i think i would keep my SS. Plus its a ford and who the hell wants those! Lol

#22 ·
Folks, we have a FORD buyer in the thread; his main concern is "shoddy quality" but me thinks he's not looking in the right direction.

If you don't like the way the jeep handles or is built, cool. That's your prerogative. But don't knock our vehicles down because you don't like yours. The raptor is a "meh" vehicle and it won't cost me a dime and do you know why?

Because I'm not buying one. ;)

Hope you'll stay in the Jeep family but if not then have fun in your ford.

#25 ·
Not knocking your vehicle. Jeep ranks low, as do many Fords, in initial quality rankings... That's a fact. Working for Ford, I know the r&d put into the Raptor, so that's why I'd consider it. Other than that, I just don't like what is available from Ford right now (maybe a Mustang)...

#24 ·
Raptor no. Velociraptor...... I would have to think about it. The problem is that they are built for different things. If I lived in the desert and wanted to blast down desert roads the Raptor is perfect. 411 horsepower crawling over rocks in the high rockies works but just seems like the wrong tool for the job. Sure I could drive a nail with a sledge hammer but after a day of it I would be asking why.

#26 ·
If I was to seriously consider somehing like this I would have to do the oll pro and con thing between a new Raptor and my JKU

Handling
I am sure the Raptor rides great on the highway, mine with hydro assist and highout pump along with the fact that I am running 3k rpm at cursing speed is a bit twitchy.

Ride Quality on road
Not sure about the Raptor but my coilovers make for a surprisingly good ride. I bet the Raptor wins though.

Power
Haha poor JK

Roughness/toughness/durability
Raptor dosnt stand a chance in this this one

Ability to have fun
Probably about the same but in two totally different ways

Money
I have more invested in mine then a Raptor would cost, even one with a blower. If I got a new Raptor I wouldn't leave well enough alone for long anyway and would really be spending some coin.

The fact that there is no place that I could go in a Raptor that I couldn't go in my JKU but yet there are lots of places I can go in my JKU that I couldn't go in a Raptor AND still drive home afterwards means I would not trade for one.

#28 ·
If I was to seriously consider somehing like this I would have to do the oll pro and con thing between a new Raptor and my JKU

Handling
I am sure the Raptor rides great on the highway, mine with hydro assist and highout pump along with the fact that I am running 3k rpm at cursing speed is a bit twitchy.

Ride Quality on road
Not sure about the Raptor but my coilovers make for a surprisingly good ride. I bet the Raptor wins though.

Power
Haha poor JK

Roughness
Raptor dosnt stand a chance in this this one

Ability to have fun
Probably about the same but in two totally different ways

Money
I have more invested in mine then a Raptor would cost, even one with a blower. If I got a new Raptor I wouldn't leave well enough alone for long anyway and would really be spending some coin.

The fact that there is no place that I could go in a Raptor that I couldn't go in my JKU but yet there are lots of places I can go in my JKU that I couldn't go in a Raptor AND still drive home afterwards means I would not trade for one.
Very good analysis....not sure what u mean by roughness... the raptor can come with a 6.2 L v8--that's rough and tough.

#37 ·
Add me to the "Raptors look like shhhhh" category. Those things are fugly! As far as them being "unique," aren't they essentially just another "fast truck?" Like the ford lightning? And didnt Chevy put out an S-10 with a 454 in it back in the 90s? And the SRT Rams. I feel like "fast truck" is as tired a concept as "fast SUV."

bottom line imo: If you want to go fast, buy a sports car. If you want to go off road, buy a jeep. If you want something that is less speed-capable than a sports car and less off-road capable than a jeep, buy a raptor.

#39 ·
I just think the Raptor is the only other truck that comes close to the JK in the cool department. Yet, it's much rarer, and thus, unique... Man, I'm struggling with this...

I don't think you can take the top off (well...once). You might can take the doors off, but not easily. I don't think there's as much stuff you can do to mod it as a Jeep. Even if you could, it still looks like a truck. I like trucks...just not as much as a Jeep.

Sorry. I like driving naked. I'm on my third Jeep. If anything, my next vehicle will be going back to a TJ.

#40 ·
As my Jeep sits right now, yes. If I had the funds/won the lotto to throw unlimited money (60s, ORE Double Throwdown, LS swap, etc) at the Jeep, I'd stick with the Jeep.

Not a real Raptor (full blown baja truck with Raptor skin) but this would be pretty close to the above mention modded Jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.