Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently finished installing the Howell Fuel injection and electric fan in my 89 YJ 4.2L... What a difference in the gas mileage im getting!!! I havent measured it, but I have just filled the tank and will check the MPG on the next fill up.... But I can see the difference just from what gas was left in the tank before filling up... I will report back!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep.

When your driving down the road the air flow is cooling your radiator and your fan shuts off (in theory)

Even though carb guys will say carbs are better. Properly setup fuel injection mixes the air and fuel better thus in theory your getting the same power with less fuel.

Guess your proof these mods are worth it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
FI doesn't have any of the issues carbs do, that's why NASCAR has even been switching over to FI. More power, less fuel consumption, no cold start issues, auto altitude adjustment, and so on and so forth.

The electric fan certainly helps to because when you're moving and you need that extra power, you get it. The fan generally only runs when you're parked at an intersection at idle (from what everyone has been claiming that has done the swap), so even though you get an initial parasitic draw on the alternator, it goes away once airflow starts moving through the radiator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats one mod that needs to be done asap!!! I have to install a larger amp alternator.... Any suggestions??? I was looking at the Mean Green from Quadratec..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
MoltonYJ said:
Thats one mod that needs to be done asap!!! I have to install a larger amp alternator.... Any suggestions??? I was looking at the Mean Green from Quadratec..
Powermaster is what i recommend. Ther are a lot of places that sell them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just curious, what did you use for a fan? Did you buy a kit or something you pieced together?

Have been considering this for a future upgrade project.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm wondering if putting on the FI system moved the power band up at all, or at least made it wider. Same with torque. Those 4.2's have the awesomest torque at low rpm, it'd be cool if it stayed right where it was.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
From what I've read around the forums it actually improves torque and HP across the entire power band, meaning it has increased torque and HP down low.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious, what did you use for a fan? Did you buy a kit or something you pieced together?

Have been considering this for a future upgrade project.
Derale Performance Waterproof Electric Cooling Fan from Quadratec. A little pricey but installed very easy.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The electric fan certainly helps to because when you're moving and you need that extra power, you get it. The fan generally only runs when you're parked at an intersection at idle (from what everyone has been claiming that has done the swap), so even though you get an initial parasitic draw on the alternator, it goes away once airflow starts moving through the radiator.
Good info. Also to add, having an electric fan free's up the strain from the engine driving the belt that is cranking over the fan-clutch and stock metal fan, less strain = more power.

·
Registered
717 Posts
new alternator

Don't see any reason you would need a new alternator. Unless the one you have is only rated for 25A or so. Even then it would be enough to run the stock load on the vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't see any reason you would need a new alternator. Unless the one you have is only rated for 25A or so. Even then it would be enough to run the stock load on the vehicle.
I believe the factory alternator is something like 60A? I have a 5 ch 900w Alpine amp installed, two sets of Hella lights, etc.. Plan on doing a winch and some other mods.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
MoltonYJ said:
I believe the factory alternator is something like 60A? I have a 5 ch 900w Alpine amp installed, two sets of Hella lights, etc.. Plan on doing a winch and some other mods.
So turn off your aux lights and your stereo if you're going to use your winch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts