Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Wow, virgin section! Lets talk Pypes Performance...

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jeffrey.dean 
#1 ·
The unit i had in the jeep goes back nearly two years. It opens up the noise of the jeep to actually let you knownita running. Fairly loud startups through to idle. The driveability of the noise is perfect, i think. But, the noise gets to a raspy pitch up at higher RPMS, or when stabbing the throttle quickly. Not perfect. I would prefer a more bass noise, but hey, its a 6cyl.

Constuction is solid. No complaints. Although its an AZ vehicle, so i do t see much rust inducing grime except for a few trips up north in the winter.

The bad: THE BLACK COATING SUCKS! It wore through to bare metal within months. It is not heat reaistant. So, what i do, buy a can of high temp krylon thinking i can rattle can it back to subdued perfection of course. That lasted about a month before completely flaking off. I dont know if it was the temp, or just the surface wasnt prepped correctly (i just cleaned, wire brushed, and sprayed).

Second bad... the exhaust muffler originally started to rattle about 1 1/2 years after instal as if an internal baffle was loose. I contacted Pypes and they replaced it under warranty! Pretty nice of them.

Overall, its an ”ok” system and a definite cut above stock if you want some grunt noise to go with the go peddle.

I dont have conparisons to make to any other, but i would buy again, as its the best sound i have heard over any other online videos.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dan,
Thanks for your review! Sorry for the delayed response. Pypes is the sponsor of the "Exhaust & Headers" and has been getting this sponsorship setup for a few weeks now.

From our experience, some customers have had issues with the black coating fading, while others have not. It seems to be some Jeeps are running hotter than others and we are looking into what mods are causing this issue.

I am glad to hear you got setup with a replacement muffler, as all of our products carry a lifetime warranty.

Pypes Exhaust just released a new axle-back exhaust for the 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK's. It is different from our cat-back setup. There is a different black coat paint used, which should help with the high running temps fading the coating. More information about that exhaust can be found here: https://pypesexhaust.com/i-23437302-2007-18-jeep-jk-dual-exit-axle-back-sjj20s.html

#3 ·
Sweet! Thanks for the updates. By far, this system is solid, and does what it was expected to. Im more a function over looks kinda guy, so not a huge deal with the coating, but a little annoying. Understandable about the higher heat of some jeeps accounting for the fade.

The warranty assistance from Pypes was outstanding. They made me a happy customer!

#4 ·
The eight-speed automatic, operated via a cool, Louisville Slugger-sized shift lever, or the new six-speed manual that’s unfortunately only offered with the familiar Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6. That eight-speed ably replaces a crapulent old five-speed, and lifts fuel economy to 18/23 miles per gallon city/highway in both two-door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.