Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded a 2012 Sport S stick for a 2013 Rubicon stick w/Connectivity and Premium Top (Max Tow was thrown in for free). While I had my eye on ordering a 2014, this deal was too good to pass up.

Either there was something SERIOUSLY wrong with my 2012 transmission/clutch, or the 2013 transmission/clutch is that much improved. It's like butter! Not only do I need to get used to the new ratio and shift points, but the effortless-ness, both up and down. It's almost too easy to change gears now. No straining. No clanking. No nothing but the sweet, sweet sound of smooth shifts.

I absolutely love my new toy, and plan to get it dirty tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Man my brother's 2013 sucks to shift and makes so many noises. Sounds like you got a rare one lol

·
Super Moderator
23,483 Posts
I test drove a 2013 rubi last week with 6 speed and while the tranny was quiet the throws between shifts seemed long not like the newer short shifting manuals I am used too. It reminded me of the older ones I was used too not that it was a bad thing. I am dealing to trade my 13 jku on a rubi and probably will save the $$ over the auto and go with a manual this time around.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had two second thoughts about stick vs auto when I bought the 2012.

One was reading where folks thought the latter afforded more control when crawling.

The other was whether I would get tired of it.

I've not encountered any problems with a stick (except maybe a smelly clutch now and then), and after a year I'm still in love with the more interactive driving experience a stick commands.

And this after not having driven a stick in over 20 years!

I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you. Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
747 Posts
My sedan has tiptronic.. My Rubi when I purchase will be 6pd, however a good buddy of mine has a '12 rubi auto and it does ride and shift beautifully.. Honestly, for me it's 6 one way, 1/2 dozen the next. Whatever I can find a better deal on will find a home in my driveway.

·
Super Moderator
23,483 Posts
My sedan has tiptronic.. My Rubi when I purchase will be 6pd, however a good buddy of mine has a '12 rubi auto and it does ride and shift beautifully.. Honestly, for me it's 6 one way, 1/2 dozen the next. Whatever I can find a better deal on will find a home in my driveway.
If I got find an auto for the same price it would be a no brainer for me. the new auto shifts great both manually and in auto mode.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
65,033 Posts
If I got find an auto for the same price it would be a no brainer for me. the new auto shifts great both manually and in auto mode.
Agree on the auto, because it is great, both on and off highway.......:thumb:

Back in the dark ages, when I was a young Lad, "40s thru the 60s" I had 3 speed manuals, both on the Colum and the floor, next came the close ratio 4 speeds with Hurst linkage and Boy would they ever power shift through the gears. Next technology advanced and the automatics improved and I have never looked back...........:nonono::nonono::nonono:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hmmm.. please tell me more about the shifting the 6spd manually.. Would this be the same idea as my Passat TDI with tiptronic with the +/- ?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The 6 spd manual transmissions are the same for all of the JK's, unlike the autos. My 10 Rubi shifts the same as you described. Sometimes the stars line up when they're built and you get good ones.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
65,033 Posts
The 6 spd manual transmissions are the same for all of the JK's, unlike the autos. My 10 Rubi shifts the same as you described. Sometimes the stars line up when they're built and you get good ones.
It depends on the time of day THAT IT IS ASSEMBLED...........:eek::eek::eek:
You get some quality if built before Lunch, but after Lunch some of them Union assemblers have just sucked down too much Budweiser and smoking Dope for lunch, and there goes the quality, sad but true!:facepalm: This is not fiction, but fact..................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
23,483 Posts
Hmmm.. please tell me more about the shifting the 6spd manually.. Would this be the same idea as my Passat TDI with tiptronic with the +/- ?
you mean the 5sp auto. yes only the paddles are not on the steering wheel you just tap the shift lever right for up left for down. works very good.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I had two second thoughts about stick vs auto when I bought the 2012.

One was reading where folks thought the latter afforded more control when crawling.

The other was whether I would get tired of it.

I've not encountered any problems with a stick (except maybe a smelly clutch now and then), and after a year I'm still in love with the more interactive driving experience a stick commands.

And this after not having driven a stick in over 20 years!

I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you. Good luck with your purchase!
i regret not getting a stick but....being able to hang my foot out the side of the tub at lights is kinda cool. But in 4lo, the automatic has a very interesting feature....

·
Super Moderator
23,483 Posts
probably talking about hill descent which works really well.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My previous 2 wranglers were manual's so naturally that's what I got the jk in and looking back I wish I'd gone for manual. Around town I love the manual but on the trail the auto just feels like cheating lol. I miss my tj's 5 speed too. I fly through the gears so fast in the jk I rarely even use first.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
what's hill descent? And i was talking about where you can idle it out and it runs like a manual with the clutch out. But i havent tried it on rocks because im not interested in rock climbing.

·
Premium Member
7,229 Posts
what's hill descent?
Pg 470 in the owner's manual:

Hill Descent Control (HDC) – If Equipped

HDC is only intended for low speed off-road driving.
HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills in
off-road driving conditions by applying the brakes when
necessary.

The symbol indicates the status of the Hill
Descent Control (HDC) feature. The lamp will
be on solid when HDC is armed. HDC can only
be armed when the transfer case is in the “4WD
LOW” position and the vehicle speed is less then 30 mph
(48 km/h). If these conditions are not met while attempting
to use the HDC feature, the HDC indicator light will
flash on/off.

When enabled, HDC senses the terrain and activates
when the vehicle is descending a hill. HDC speed may be
adjusted by the driver to suit the driving conditions. The
speed corresponds to the transmission gear selected.

However, the driver can override HDC operation by
applying the brake to slow the vehicle down below the
HDC control speed. If more speed is desired during HDC
control, the accelerator pedal will increase vehicle speed
in the usual manner. When either the brake or the
accelerator is released, HDC will control the vehicle at the
original set speed.

Gear - Approximate HDC Set Speed
1st - 1 mph (1.5 km/h)
2nd - 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
3rd - 4 mph (6.5 km/h)
4th - 5.5 mph (9 km/h)