Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm new here, so please be patient. I'm trying to fix my cousins Wrangler for Christmas. Her Four Wheel drive has never worked since she got it used. It's a 94 by the way. I read the checking vacuum write up and install writeup as well for the actuator motor. I've got 2 vacuum lines into the front end, and 3 into the transfer case. I'm kind of unclear how to check the T-case switch? Which one of these is the most common to go out? All the lines look good so I figure it's gotta be one or the other? I have a 4runner so I'm kind of new on the JEEP thing. If someone could help i'd appreciate it. We're all tired of pulling her out! Please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
first off i would try getting a good vacumm from a port under the hood somewhere, and put it to the port on actuator motor to see if it is engaging the hubs. then if not pull it and it should be fairly clear what the problem is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same issues, some times the vacumm harness are too loose and will stick to catalytic conv and burn. Also what payj90 just said..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll check it out. The vac lines all look good, I had to pull off the looming to physically look, but they seem alright. Its gotta be one or the other.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anybody that could tell me what the shift pattern is on the 4x stick? I can only seem to push it forward 1 click and back into a neutral position. Doesn't want to go anywhere else. I remember years ago there was a 4x I drove that required you to back up in order to engage the 4 wheel, do these do that? I've got vacuum at the front axle actuator regardless of stick position, And the front drive shaft does not spin regarless of stick position as well? Is there supposed to be vacuum at the front axle all the time? Does the Tcase vac switch control everything? I'm pretty confused about this thing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i went to rusys off road and got a permi-lok (posi-lok) $65.00 and did away with the vacuum lines all together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing is this isn't my rig, I'm doing this as a favor for my cousin. She has had this thing for a couple years and never has gotten it fixed. Could someone tell me what the shift pattern on the Tcase stick is please. I can only seem to push it forward and into neutral? She has aftermarket knobs on it, and no book.

·
Registered
600 Posts
all the way up 4lo...n...2hi....4hi

·
Registered
600 Posts
if your fixin as a favor definatly permi-lok it only comes into play when you go 4x4 and its actually an upgrade to the failure prone vacuum system

·
Registered
600 Posts
and no you should be able to shift on the move (although i recommend stopped or crawling just to be safe) all my np cases i shift while rolling (jeep YJ and chevy 2500 4x4)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks, As far as the permi lok kit, whats involved with installing this? If I'm putting this into 4lo which would be all the way forward, should I have the front axle turning at that point. I'm just puzzled as to why I'm getting vacuum on both lines going into the front axle actuator. everyone on here seems to say it's only one line. Do you think the valve in the Tcase could be causing this mix up?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is there anybody that could tell me what the shift pattern is on the 4x stick? I can only seem to push it forward 1 click and back into a neutral position. Doesn't want to go anywhere else. I remember years ago there was a 4x I drove that required you to back up in order to engage the 4 wheel, do these do that? I've got vacuum at the front axle actuator regardless of stick position, And the front drive shaft does not spin regarless of stick position as well? Is there supposed to be vacuum at the front axle all the time? Does the Tcase vac switch control everything? I'm pretty confused about this thing.
the patern is 2-4-n-4l this is front to back

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok thanks, As far as the permi lok kit, whats involved with installing this? If I'm putting this into 4lo which would be all the way forward, should I have the front axle turning at that point. I'm just puzzled as to why I'm getting vacuum on both lines going into the front axle actuator. everyone on here seems to say it's only one line. Do you think the valve in the Tcase could be causing this mix up?
you should not have vac on bolth sides of the axle at the same time its counterproductive the lines are hooked up wrong check the "stickey" on the top of the page entitled "how to fix all vacume problems and how to locate the problems" good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats what I thought, but the weird thing is, All the vac lines were wrapped up still like from the factory, so I doubt they are wrong. I've read the sticky, and was looking for a diagram to show exactly where these lines are supposed to go. I was just wondering if that valve in the Tcase, could be causing this problem? I'm also getting vacuum all the time, regardless of stick position? You can actually feel the vac on both sides of that

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two problems with this quote from the sticky: "If you have done all vacuum checks, and have passed all, but still does not engage 4x4. shift to 4x4 and drive a few feet with friend to look under to check if shaft from front of transfer case is spinning to front axel. if is, hook vacuum pump to vacuum line coming out of switch located on firewall beside the battery." Our axle does not spin, and I can't seem to locate any switch on the firewall???

·
Registered
270 Posts
if you put in in 4x4 and the front drive shaft dont turn then you need a t-case chain
yes the switch could be the vac problem

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the questions you were asking about the shift pattern maybe you do not have the shifter in the proper position
Just my two cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just trying to find out for sure what the pattern was becasue there's no identifing marks anywhere on this jeep. It's not mine, and I really don't want to ask her, besides the fact she dosn't have a clue anyway. I could only seem to push it forward and pull it back. 1 click either way. Sill doesn;t explain why I have vacuum on both lines going to the actuator? I was hoping someone could send me a diagram. On the thread above the pics don't seem to open for me?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts