Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a wrangler.. I would like to hear downs and ups about them..

I was a mechanic by trade and have no problems fixing things but hate to put in the time, if I dont have to..

I am looking at getting an automatic, and understand 03 and up 6 cyl. comes in a 4 speed instead of a 3 speed in prior years.

This is going to be my only car and it has to be hard dors and top for the winter..

I would like to get a 2000 or 01 but feel the 3speed auto's gearing might not be good on gas..

I always wanted one sind my friend had on in highschool.. I am now 27...

Newbie here help is appreciated..

thanks..

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well, as I have owned a jeep, then a ram, then a jeep again, I barely notice the rough ride, however, they are no Cadillacs, that is for sure. Very noisy too, if you have a soft top. None of that bothers me much at all. As I haven't driven a stock jeep in years, nor have I ever driven one with a hard top, I can't give you an opinion on that. To me, a less than smooth and quiet ride is all part of the awesome experience of owning a jeep, and what sets us jeepers apart from the rest of the auto community (or maybe its that we are all just downright insane). I say if you have wanted one for that long, go for it, you can't beat driving a jeep.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually drove my buds 92 wrangler.. it was not a hard top.. and it did have 33''s with a 4 inch lift.. I do not like the ride at all.. It was way too stiff for my taste.. I hope the tj with independent suspention instead of leaf springs would make a bit of a difference...

anyone went from leaf to independent?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have wanted one since i eight and my Uncle Charlie took my Dad and i into the Tenn. woods at night and just went werever we wanted...I finally got one and am 42 and absolutly love it. Naterg is right no caddy not even a blazer or Tahoe depending on you vintage but man take the top off and turn up the radio and drive....Oh yea don't forget the wave....It's a jeep thing you will understand when you get one.

Greg

also No gas milage 15-17 on my 01 2.5 but better than 9 on my 81 Blazer.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I actually drove my buds 92 wrangler.. it was not a hard top.. and it did have 33''s with a 4 inch lift.. I do not like the ride at all.. It was way too stiff for my taste.. I hope the tj with independent suspention instead of leaf springs would make a bit of a difference...

anyone went from leaf to independent?

Never been in a leaf the 97 up TJ has coilspring with a straight axle not indipendent but a decent ride again no caddie. come by and i'll take you a cruise.

Greg:wavey:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice.. I know all about the wave.. I ride (bikes that is,, R1). but never seen 2 jeeps close by to catch the wave. just crashed the bike at the track.. an going to take a break, for a bit.

I figured off roading might get me outdoors more. Currently I dirve a 89 mazda b2200, Hopefully the ride is a bit better then that, truck...

I wonder if it is noisy with a hardtop on a tj?

Thinking to look at a 05 X, this weekend.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Nice.. I know all about the wave.. I ride (bikes that is,, R1). but never seen 2 jeeps close by to catch the wave. just crashed the bike at the track.. an going to take a break, for a bit.

I figured off roading might get me outdoors more. Currently I dirve a 89 mazda b2200, Hopefully the ride is a bit better then that, truck...

I wonder if it is noisy with a hardtop on a tj?

Thinking to look at a 05 X, this weekend.
Honestly, the noise is something most people get used to. I drove to Michigan from here (about 10 hours) with the soft top up and yes, my ears were ringing a little, but it wasn't something that drove me nuts. I have also driven to Atlanta (about 4 hours) with the top down, and, tho it was a little more rough than if the top were up, it was manageable. Though, as I have stated before, I have been driving a jeep for a long time, and have a high tolerance for small annoyances, especially when it has something to do with anything I love as much as my Jeep.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My TJ is my bike replacement. It is like riding a tractor - but I love driving tractors. Serously though, the shocks I have are rumoured to be "Too stiff for humans". Both my wife and I have bad backs, but this IS our favorite vehicle.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
with a hard top its not too noisy, mostly just some engine noise, but nothing bad

and the reason to buy a jeep is not for the on road comfort, but for the off road capabilities

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Tj's ride just fine, put the hardtop on and most of the wind noise is gone, although the soft top is not that bad either. As far as the 3 vs 4 spd. I had a 97 auto 3spd and it did fine. Had 30" tires on it and no issues. As far as gas mpg between the two tranny's I think they are close..which means nothing more than a few mpg difference if any at all. I think I got somewhere around 15-17 mpg but it was a while ago so don't recall.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Better rides will be had in TJ's due to the suspension type (97-06). For an even better ride, consider a long arm suspension or the TJ Unlimited (longer wheelbase).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I ride long rides with the soft top and no ringing. i ride my r6 on long rides and there is definatly ringing. You just learn to cope with whatever you drive. If you dont cope with the jeep, like my girlfriend, it will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I would like to add my two cents by addressing teh fuel mileage issue. I dont know how much an overdrive really helps fuel mileage. I have the old three speed automatic and I avereag eabout 15 City and 18 Highway. Thats pretty good for a straight six with the aerodynamics of a brick.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cant wait to check it out.. I deal with a lot of noise with my truck already.. this decision may not be so practical with me right now but.. o well.. I ride long rides on my bike up the canyons with no ear plugs under my helmet anyway... I always wondered how the trails are like when riding in the canyons..

I know I'll like it..

I hear the straight 6 are unbreakable, any remarkable stories on how long they last?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I was in your boat about 8 months ago. Always wanted one, and despite the lack of logic I did it - and damn glad I did. Love it! But knew I would. Agree w/everything said so far. It's no Tahoe or Explorer, and you'll still get some wind/engine noise even w/HT on. BUT, it's a Wrangler, nuff said. Regarding the MPG, I have a MT and AT and can't tell one bit of diff in the lousy mileage I get. Can beat 16mpg avg to save my life. But, then again, it's a wrangler, nuff said.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had a B2000 and a Scrambler hardtop. The ride really is about the same. Had my hardtop off about as much as on though. The noise really isn't too bad and it is more of a feeling the engine thing than a hearing it thing but I feel more comfortable with that. My Wrangler is an 04, standard trans. and it is noisier than the automatic. Go for it, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
and i've seen a tj with 330,000 miles on it for sale on craigslist "high miles but runs like new" of course it only cost 2K compared to all the other at 8K, but hey it shows that the drivetrain will last forever!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts