Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the Brake rotors, or any other part of the brake system different among the 97-06 TJ wrangler model years? because AGAIN, there are people selling rotors for specific years! :confused:

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
I'm not completely sure, but I think its the calipers that changed, and that did have an effect on the rotors. Plus having ABS or not might have effected it :D

But if anyone is listing anything for a specific year, get the one thats "supposed" to fit your year.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Yes, in 99 they changed rotors in mid year. Really sucked for me because it's hard to tell what you have except for actually measuring the rotor hat.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
must be the same deal on XJ's too - didn't even think of it, but when I did my mothers discs, they had to sets of rotors at the parts store. :(

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yes, they did. My 97 TJ has calipers for an 05 TJ and the rotor thickness IS different. I have to order pads and rotors for that 05 model year if I want it to fit.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
The difference is in the size of the rotor cap not the rotor surface. Its like 3/16th of an inch difference. They are composite and cast rotors. If you put the wrong one on the jeep will not move!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, Thanks for all the info everyone...This site rocks! and another question..is there any brake upgrade for tjs using brakes from a different vehicle? i know they sell the big brake upgrade and EVERYONE that has it praises it...but its $750...which i do not have at the moment!

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
wow, Thanks for all the info everyone...This site rocks! and another question..is there any brake upgrade for tjs using brakes from a different vehicle? i know they sell the big brake upgrade and EVERYONE that has it praises it...but its $750...which i do not have at the moment!
Van and yes (Blaine) seem to have worked out pretty well all of the angles in replacing brakes on the TJ's Dana 30/44. Hell even the rotors they are using now are a couple hundred bucks. If you are looking for more stopping power in your TJ then there just isn't a cheap way to do it.

I'll let you in on the secret for the best brake mod on a Jeep with bigger tires. Stay further back. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts