Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a 1991 jeep wrangler YJ. It's stick shift, when I go from first gear to second gear it makes a grinding noise. When I go from second, third, fourth and fifth it doesn't grind, it works perfect.
When I shift down second to first it also grinds.
I have a brand new clutch and throw out bearings.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Your syncro's in the tranny are worn out.. Learn to double clutch into 2nd gear, or match up your RPMs for a smooth shift.. Do this and you can live with it forever..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I go from first gear to second slowly, it doesn't grind. Im hoping to fix it soon, I need to look into how much it will cost. I also heard if i put a different (i think thinner oil) it might help as well. Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yep? I have a 95 yj and just replaced the clutch and all ? It grinds second & forget downshifting? I got to take it back apart? IM waiting for time

·
Registered
9 Posts
one of the local mechanics here (NC) just quoted me $997 to replace the clutch slave cylinder, the clutch and all associated parts ... needless to say I'm living with my sometimes clutch that doesn't.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Ok guys, you're not listening, not to be rude or anything, but it's not a clutch problem. It's a transmission problem. The syncros between 1st and 2nd are always the first to go out, as those syncro's work the hardest. #1 ; if you want your syncros to last forever, learn to either double clutch between gears, or match up RPMs properly while up or downshifting. #2, obviously it's too late for those good habits to do you any good, but it you do those things now, the shifter will fall into second gear with no grinding. #3. if you choose to have your tranny rebuilt, instead of learning to shift with what you have, go ahead, you have way more money to spend than I do, on needless things. #4, if a mechanic is telling you it's your clutch, check it by starting up in 2nd gear, at idle,with your foot hard on the brake, ease your clutch out, if your jeep tries to lurch, bucks, and stalls out, then your clutch is still good. Guys, please, if you have extra money like that, then send some my way to help pay for gas for our next trip to Moab!! ;)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Ok guys, you're not listening, not to be rude or anything, but it's not a clutch problem. It's a transmission problem. The syncros between 1st and 2nd are always the first to go out, as those syncro's work the hardest. #1 ; if you want your syncros to last forever, learn to either double clutch between gears, or match up RPMs properly while up or downshifting. #2, obviously it's too late for those good habits to do you any good, but it you do those things now, the shifter will fall into second gear with no grinding. #3. if you choose to have your tranny rebuilt, instead of learning to shift with what you have, go ahead, you have way more money to spend than I do, on needless things. #4, if a mechanic is telling you it's your clutch, check it by starting up in 2nd gear, at idle,with your foot hard on the brake, ease your clutch out, if your jeep tries to lurch, bucks, and stalls out, then your clutch is still good. Guys, please, if you have extra money like that, then send some my way to help pay for gas for our next trip to Moab!! ;)
100% correct, if it grinds in one gear but not the rest then its a trans problem not the clutch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
in my case I'm having intermittent issues with not being able to shift into any gear. I've read some of the threads about making sure the clutch is bled properly (the Clutch MC was replaced by the PO), and even after following the instructions to ensure proper clutch bleeding, the issue still occurs. Since I know my ability levels aren't up to replacing it myself and thus took my 93 YJ into a local mechanic for an estimate. He told me that the clutch slave cyl was "likely" leaking and that I might as well do the clutch while they were in there. ... so I'm learning how to work around my clutch/transmission issue until I can afford the replacement.

·
NASCAR JEEP!!!!
470 Posts
same grind here as well. changed out the old fluid to synchromesh and all grinding gone. not saying that will solve the problem forever, but it definitely helped. especially when it is cold outside.

·
NASCAR JEEP!!!!
470 Posts
yeah, i got it at advanced. i think it was 5 or 6 bucks a quart and it took 4 if i remember right. you'll want to invest in one of those pump things too. makes it much easier to fill the case.

·
NASCAR JEEP!!!!
470 Posts
hope it works for you. for the 30 bucks in cost it's definitely worth the effort

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree, definatley a syncro prob. Just put in a new tranny due to this. But double clutch makes no sense. How do you double clutch while you drive. Have heard the term before but I guess I don't get it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
double clutch

You put the clutch in, shift to neutral, let the clutch out, ajust the rpm to match what it will be when you shift into the other gear (up or down). Once you have the rpm correct, you shift into the other grear. You have depressed the clutch twice, thereby double clutching.

You will get the hang that you drop your foot back on the gas a certain amount when shifting up and depress it a certain amount when shifting down. Just a matter of practice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine grinds between 2nd and 3rd. So I'm following the advice given above, and it seems to be helping.

My understanding is that it costs the same to fix whether you do it now, or wait until its un-driveable. So you might as well keep going with it.

Have you tried just skipping second gear? IE: 1st to 3rd.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts