Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Unlimited with no prior issues. Towed our camper today and after disconnecting the trailer connector (7 way... factory cable), the craziness began (the lights were on when I disconnected... usually don't do this). Attempted to start, heard a couple clicks and the dash lights started flashing sporadically.

Turned key off, popped hood and heard a relay chattering. Turned out to be the start relay so I pulled that just to stop the noise. Popped the battery terminal off and let it sit for a few then put everything back.

Current status... won't start and as soon as I turn the headlights on, dash lights start freaking out I have a rotten egg smell coming from the relay/fuse box. I can turn on the parking lights and fog lights with no issues... appears to be related to the headlights. FYI, I also disconnected the trailer harness and brake controller but that had no effect.

Any ideas? TIA.

·
Registered
810 Posts
2010 Unlimited with no prior issues. Towed our camper today and after disconnecting the trailer connector (7 way... factory cable), the craziness began (the lights were on when I disconnected... usually don't do this). Attempted to start, heard a couple clicks and the dash lights started flashing sporadically.

Turned key off, popped hood and heard a relay chattering. Turned out to be the start relay so I pulled that just to stop the noise. Popped the battery terminal off and let it sit for a few then put everything back.

Current status... won't start and as soon as I turn the headlights on, dash lights start freaking out I have a rotten egg smell coming from the relay/fuse box. I can turn on the parking lights and fog lights with no issues... appears to be related to the headlights. FYI, I also disconnected the trailer harness and brake controller but that had no effect.

Any ideas? TIA.
Grounds on the fender, footwells. Loosen a little then retighten. Open the TIPM with the negative cable loose from the battery, check and make sure the positive wire coming from the battery is tight. Leave the neg cable off for about 10 minutes and then reconnect and try again.

Man that sucks.. the smell coming from the TIPM is concerning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking it may actually be the battery and it was just coincidence that it failed (or started to) immediately after unplugging the trailer connector. Voltage is running a little low and I've heard a weak battery causes ridiculous symptoms in newer Wranglers. It is old so I'll replace it tomorrow... fingers crossed. Still not sure about the smell thing but we'll see.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the battery and just coincidence on the trailer thing. Not sure what I was smelling but, I have to say, this was the craziest set of symptoms I've ever seen from a bad battery.

Thanks for the replies...

·
Registered
810 Posts
It was the battery and just coincidence on the trailer thing. Not sure what I was smelling but, I have to say, this was the craziest set of symptoms I've ever seen from a bad battery.

Glad that is all it was. :thumb:

·
Registered
501 Posts

The trailer probably put a little bit more load on your battery. Gone are the days of slow cranking, dying battery symptoms. With the modern computer controls, it seems it's crank or no crank now.

My JK decided not to crank just the other day after sitting just a short time with no prior indicators. It can be surprising.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts