Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
2018, but only on the JL Model Wranglers.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
^^^ this.

All JLs have ESS, with the exception of 392.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
any idea why they do it ? and does it have any option to remove it permanently ?
It is to meet increasingly stricter emissions regulations.

You cannot remove it, but you can disable it with a programmer like Tazer. There’s also a push button to turn ESS off you can press every time you get in the vehicle.

You can also learn how to prevent ESS from engaging by modulating the brake pedal with your foot. It doesn’t take long to learn how to do it.

To be honest, ESS startled me at first, but I got used to it. Eventually you don’t even notice when it kicks in.

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude
14 Posts
It is to meet increasingly stricter emissions regulations.

You cannot remove it, but you can disable it with a programmer like Tazer. There’s also a push button to turn ESS off you can press every time you get in the vehicle.

You can also learn how to prevent ESS from engaging by modulating the brake pedal with your foot. It doesn’t take long to learn how to do it.

To be honest, ESS startled me at first, but I got used to it. Eventually you don’t even notice when it kicks in.
I'm almost used to it now although I still find myself monkeying with my brake pedal sometimes. Check out Youtube as well; there are a couple of other options for disabling it. You can turn the wheel, which is obviously not advised while driving because you might forget that it's turned, and you can apparently disconnect the inside hood latch sensor which only controls the ESS. The latter leaves a message on the ESS screen; I haven't tried it to verify it though.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I use a Tazer to disable it. Every few months it will flip back on and I get confused when I stop by my Jeep "dies" at a light but overall the Tazer remembers that I have it turned off most of the time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts