Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first post
Thinking of getting a wrangler as a first vehicle for my daughter. She is currently 14 and was thinking of getting a wrangler instead of the typical honda civic to teach her to drive (Definetly manual trans) as well as spend some time making repairs prior to to her actually driving. We will not be turning her loose in it at 16 but want something she can drive. I drive a 07 GMC crew cab dually so that is too big for her to learn in and Wifeys drives a 2012 Pilot.

Am I off base with a wrangler as a first vehicle? are they safe enough for a teenage driver?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought me and my daughter a 2009 jku. This will be her first vehicle. The 4 door is much more stable than the 2 door and handles very well. We are not cutting her loose and letting her run the roads yet, that will take a while. Letting her get use to the Jeep and also how to work on it. It's like anything thing else in the world with kids, teach them how it works, respect it, and know what the dangers are. Then pray.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Would have loved to have a wrangler as my first vehicle. If you can afford to buy her one then I say go for it. Would stick to an older model, that way when she gets in a fender bender, which she will, it won't matter as much if it already has some bumps and dings. Plus the older models are cheaper. Not saying to go YJ old but maybe a 97-99 TJ or in that range. Hope that helps. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
I am a firm believer in first car being slow and built like a brick sh##house. I remember how I drove at that age!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would have loved to have a wrangler as my first vehicle. If you can afford to buy her one then I say go for it. Would stick to an older model, that way when she gets in a fender bender, which she will, it won't matter as much if it already has some bumps and dings. Plus the older models are cheaper. Not saying to go YJ old but maybe a 97-99 TJ or in that range. Hope that helps. Good luck. :)
I'd follow the above advice if you spend 2-5k on an older model that isn't pretty but is fully functional and safe she can beat the heck out of it while she learns and it isn't as big a loss as your 2009 you would have just spent 10-17k on and invest in clutch replacement pieces if you're going with a manual, I know my son burned out 2 learning

Stuckin CT

·
Registered
372 Posts
My first "car" was a 1983 jeep CJ7. This was in 1999 mind you. I loved it and learned a ton about how "cars" work and what it takes to keep them running right and how to fix it when it's not. I miss my CJ all the time, so ended up getting a YJ that looks almost the same.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I think a 2.5L YJ or TJ (or even a Cherokee) would be great for a Teen. My kids will likely have one....slow, safe, reliable and cheap to work on.

I knew someone who bought their 16 year old an older Acura MDX and paid like $8000 for it. Soon after they realized its repair part prices are horrid. $5000 for a tranny rebuild. WOW!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks
I am in the 2-4k range so that puts us out of the jku range. I just looked at a 1997 4cyl 5 speed that has 179k miles. has a bad exhaust and a good size oil leak coming frm the valve cover but everything worked and it drove ok seemed underpowered for sure. He is asking 4k No mods bone stock soft top Shiny paint, but a rust hole in the drivers front fender and passenger rear corner is bubbly. We are in SW Ohio

When did rollup windows come about?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Thanks
I am in the 2-4k range so that puts us out of the jku range. I just looked at a 1997 4cyl 5 speed that has 179k miles. has a bad exhaust and a good size oil leak coming frm the valve cover but everything worked and it drove ok seemed underpowered for sure. He is asking 4k No mods bone stock soft top Shiny paint, but a rust hole in the drivers front fender and passenger rear corner is bubbly. We are in SW Ohio

When did rollup windows come about?
The Rollup windows are on the "Full Doors". Half Doors have soft top zipper or sliders windows. Both can usually be found on Craigslist and will fit all TJ's.

The things your mentioned are probably pretty minor...check the frame and engine compartment over for crusty rust.

The valve cover probably needs to be tightened back down or re-RTV'ed...takes about 30 mins.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
My 11 yr old daughter will be getting my wife's '12 JK when she turns 16, unless something major happens to it between now and then.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it. other than playing into the "jeep, barbie, teenage girl vehicle" stereotype. lol. Kidding of course. I would have loved a wrangler as my first vehicle. Mine was a Volkswagen pickup, cool in it's own right.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
My only concern for my daughter would be if she tried to swerve to quickly and rolled it.
My tj is my first 4 wheeled vehicle (Ive been riding streetbikes since I was 13) and I love it as my first vehicle.

I've had to do abrupt maneuvers several times in my tj and have had no problems (this is without a front swaybar) I have never felt like it was gonna flip. In most cases a wheel will loose traction before anything serious happens, ie. front end sliding or a rear wheel loose grip. As long as she knows that it doesn't handle like a corvette and not to try and do a full lock turn a 40mph she should be fine, most situations can be avoided by common sense.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
My only concern for my daughter would be if she tried to swerve to quickly and rolled it.
TJ's are not like the old Samuri's and CJ's. They have much better safety standards, control and handling in emergency situations.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
TJ's are not like the old Samuri's and CJ's. They have much better safety standards, control and handling in emergency situations.
x2

·
Registered
137 Posts
I honestly wasn't aware of that.

My Dad drove (still has) a 94 Wrangler while I was growing up. I used to drive it whenever he would let me and that was one of the things he always harped on me about before I would leave.

However, short wheel base + high center of gravity + unskilled driver isn't something I would personally subject my daughter to.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I honestly wasn't aware of that.

My Dad drove (still has) a 94 Wrangler while I was growing up. I used to drive it whenever he would let me and that was one of the things he always harped on me about before I would leave.

However, short wheel base + high center of gravity + unskilled driver isn't something I would personally subject my daughter to.
If you think its not wide enough you could get aftermarket 15x10 rims with 3.75 back spacing and that will give it a low, wide, mean stance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you think its not wide enough you could get aftermarket 15x10 rims with 3.75 back spacing and that will give it a low, wide, mean stance.
True. Sometimes I forget my Jeep is taller than stock. Plus having some thick, tubular front and rear brush guards wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bad idea unless she's amazingly responsible, and has been around and operating mechanical equipment all of her life. Handling is, well, Jeep like, and all of her friends will be hanging with her, distracting her focus when driving. Deadly combination.

She will have accidents, and just hope they are not made worse by your decision.

I have two grown daughters as does my buddy. All of the girls had accidents in HS and college, and one was a total of a nearly new Honda Accord driving down Rt. 1 in NJ after college graduation - loss of control, her fault.

Just because you, and everyone else on this forum loves Jeeps doesn't make getting one for your daughter even close to a good idea.

Get her something easier to handle and less attractive to her friends, and tell her that she can trade it in on a Jeep in a couple of years if that's what she wants. Are you sure that this is about what she wants, and not what you want?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts