Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Hmmmm, some folks would just stop filling a little sooner and skip all the drama. But it was an interesting read. My '01 cannot be filled at full flow, ever. It's a Jeep thing I just deal with. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might tend to agree with you IG if I hadn't gotten a letter from Chrysler admitting this was an issue and an outstanding service bulletin existed on my Jeep. Just remember, the part that keeps gas from regurgitating out on a fill up is the same part that keep gas from spilling out of your tank on a rollover accident. Crash + Gas = Fiery Crash. No thanks...

·
Registered
85 Posts
On my 2011 jku I noticed close to the same thing. On my first fill-up I could here the vent tube fighting to let air out fast enough. I set the pump handle to the slowest speed and it shut off ok without spilling. Not proud of it but I worked at an old full service gas station for many years. Ran into a lot of vehicles that couldn't handle full flow out of the handle. Some were so bad you couldn't even set the slowest speed. I remember some small car that if you tried to go to fast it sprayed out of the vent tubes right at your face even before it was full. I'm not concerned about not being able to fill up as fast personally. I am more concerned about the safety factor and all the trouble to OP had to go through to get a known issue fixed. BTW I have also seen pump handles fail and not shut off at all. Had to kill a pump from inside when I seen a guy talking to someone as he pumped about 10 gallons across the parking lot. Hope it gets fixed for you and don't dealerships realize most of us have no desire going there unless it's needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Post your complaint here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/ for the world to see. If you have the corporate address they will be allowed to reply and possibly provide you with resolution.

I had an issue with a product I purchased once and simarly was being blocked by their customer service team. After posting my complaint, the company had an executive relations team that responded, obviously had more empowerment than customer service, and promptly offered a solution that was a benefit to myself and allowed them to save face.

Hopefully this helps ;-)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just assumed that you had to be careful because the fuel inlet to tank distance was so small; being that it’s a jeep. My gas fill inlet is behind the license plate, even lower than the newer jeeps. If I leave the fill nozzle in with it on full blast it will over flow when the auto shut off is engaged.

Also want to make one other note: the gas pumps do have signs that say “do not top off”

Ahhh Hell the government will have us in sandals, hemp clothes and driving electric cars soon anyway L

·
Registered
73 Posts
I received the recall letter from Chrysler in late April about the fuel spit-back problem with 2007 and up Wranglers. I took my 2007 Sahara in for regular scheduled service in May along with the recall letter. The service center replaced the gas tank, filler tube and vent tube during this service call. I was also provided a free loaner car for the day this recall work took to complete.

I don't understand why the OP's dealership balked on performing the recall as Chrysler directed even if a Chrysler Rep was present unless the OP'er pi**ed off the guys at the dealership about something. :confused:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just assumed that you had to be careful because the fuel inlet to tank distance was so small; being that it’s a jeep. My gas fill inlet is behind the license plate, even lower than the newer jeeps. If I leave the fill nozzle in with it on full blast it will over flow when the auto shut off is engaged.

Also want to make one other note: the gas pumps do have signs that say “do not top off”

Ahhh Hell the government will have us in sandals, hemp clothes and driving electric cars soon anyway L

This is a known issue, and has absolutely nothing to do with the way you fill the tank. Slow, fast, it doesn't matter. I have an '05 that has done this off and on since I bought it. Strangely enough, it's worse in the winter. The only way I've found to avoid the plash is to fill it EXTREMELY slow when I think it's two or three gallons from full, and listen closely. I can never use the auto shutoff, unless I want to dodge the geyser. This is at every pump, at every station. I've had 24 vehicles, and the Jeep is the only one that has ever done this. Still wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Oh, on the "Do not top off" thing. Topping off means to continue after the auto shutoff stops the pump. The blowback occurs AT the shutoff. Topping off isn't the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, we never top off our fills. Once the pump clicks off, we're full as far as we're concerned. We took our Jeep to this particular dealership because we have such a good relationship with them. They told me their regional Chrysler rep was there that day. I thought it was just a regional warranty rep gone renegade until we talked to a Chrysler customer service rep that said the same thing. DOT is very interested in this since it was part of their deal on the service bulletin not to give customers a hard time when they come in with this issue. Just wanted to post this to other JK owners who have this issue that it's a known issue and should be fixed without runaround.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
yes the company fixed MY 08 JK problem under 'extended warranty' status.

No it is not resultant from speed of fill up.

Since repair about 4 months ago, I have had zero issues with regurgitating flammable liquids out my gas spout.

Oregon prohibits the customer handling the gas nozzle in any case.

·
Registered
435 Posts
JeeperJake said:
Oregon prohibits the customer handling the gas nozzle in any case.
Not to offend you,, as I grew up in NJ..

But I believe they are the only 2 states in the union were the residents blow themselves up while pumping gas.

Move to another state,,, it's safer. :)

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
My Jeep has the same damn problem its annoying and I just have to make sure to stop it before the auto shut off or other wise go swimming in fuel. It bugs the hell out of me and I honestly thought i was the only one with this problem. I have never received a recall letter. Looks like im going to have to make a trip to crysler and get this issue resolved.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
8am-8pm M-F
9am-5pm Saturday EST
1-877-426-5337

Call these folks to get the claim process started.
They were very helpful and pleasant to deal with, and actually gave all the information by which to get the problem solved.

Have your Jeep VIN ready as they will need that for ID of the claim.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
re: "I believe they are the only 2 states in the union were the residents blow themselves up while pumping gas."

perhaps so, for years it seemed rather odd.....however now it seems quite civilized.....it actually has a LOT of advantages in fact.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My Jeep has the same damn problem its annoying and I just have to make sure to stop it before the auto shut off or other wise go swimming in fuel. It bugs the hell out of me and I honestly thought i was the only one with this problem. I have never received a recall letter. Looks like im going to have to make a trip to crysler and get this issue resolved.
My 06 Liberty had this issue but my 11 Wrangler does not. I did learn a long time ago not to try and squeeze in any extra gas after the pump stops.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My 07 has this problem but it was built Feb 22, 2007, a full 8 days too soon to be covered by the service bulletin. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had my JKU for 2 weeks now and have filled it up twice since then. This problem has happened to me on both occasions and I can't help but feel stupid as to why I have gas all over me after leaving the gas station. I've worked at a Jeep dealership for 3 years now and have sold and gassed up many Wrangler but never noticed this problem before. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem!

·
Administrator
41,912 Posts
I bought my '07 JKU back in September of this year. I noticed the burping at my first fillup.

I took it in to the dealer and they went ahead and replaced the whole tank!:eek:

I asked them about it and they said it was a known issue. In the past they would try to trouble shoot the problem but it always came down to a defective valve and replacing the tank is the easiest thing.

Thank God I bought the extended warranty!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts