Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always leave my phone at home when i need it the most.

I took my dog for a :30 trail walk yesterday while my wife was getting party supplies in the JKU. I come home to a half dozen missed calls from her.

she came out of the store to this sticking in her tire.

thats whats left of a metal ball point pen sticking through her sidewall.

exactly how did this come to be? did she run over a pen at the right moment and it stuck through? did somebody with a passion for pens stab her tire? truly it was purely bad luck.

truly a shame, this tire had less then 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I would say that it would take a lot of force to ram a ballpoint pen through the side of a big tire, my guess would be that she picked it up accidentally on the road.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When you go to the tire shop to replace it, see if they have a jar of all the things they've pulled out of tires. It's pretty amazing.

I don't think this one was vandalism.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Despite what cartoons show us, I don't think someone can just puncture a tire by jamming a pen in there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I always leave my phone at home when i need it the most.

I took my dog for a :30 trail walk yesterday while my wife was getting party supplies in the JKU. I come home to a half dozen missed calls from her.

she came out of the store to this sticking in her tire.

thats whats left of a metal ball point pen sticking through her sidewall.

exactly how did this come to be? did she run over a pen at the right moment and it stuck through? did somebody with a passion for pens stab her tire? truly it was purely bad luck.

truly a shame, this tire had less then 5000 miles on it.
I doubt someone could have shoved it in as the tire sets in the photo, but possibly it happened earlier.. Probably just ran over it in a way that you couldn't recreate in a hundred tries. JMO

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wanna say that it would be far fetched or unlikely for you to run over a pen at just the right angle to puncture the tire. Not to mention pens usually lay flight so it would be abnormal for it to be sitting at an angle to penetrate when run over. Though it does seem weird as well that if someone were to stab the tire, they would chose that location at the very bottom. Seems like it would have been simpler to stab higher up if it was intentional. Either way it does Suck! I'm sorry for your loss lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with the assessment that its highly unlikely someone intentionally did this, it truly is a crazy random happenstance, but these odds are lottery winners!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I bet that pen was against a curb, parking divider or rock when she hit it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
On Thursday one of my buddies at work managed to puncture a tire with a c-clamp that he ran over, the only thing outside the tire was the handle, the entire C portion was inside. And this was in a bfg km2.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
just some bad luck i'd say....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened to you. Is that the front or the rear tire? Sometimes the front tire runs over something and makes it bounce. It could be just in the right position to puncture the rear tire when it gets to it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Even though I have dealer tires on my Jeep, BFG All-Terrain TA Ko, I went to Discount Tire and purchased their road hazard warranty. It cost almost $300 for all 5, but one tire costs over $315. I can't afford to buy replacement tires if a sidewall is punched either on the trail or the street. They also balance, rotate, and repair for the life of the tires.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I don't think anyone did this. The pen is pretty low and close to the ground to be shoved in there. Would take a pretty amazing force to puncture the tire at the angle showing in the pic. My feeling is she picked it up and random as it may seem...these things do happen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even though I have dealer tires on my Jeep, BFG All-Terrain TA Ko, I went to Discount Tire and purchased their road hazard warranty. It cost almost $300 for all 5, but one tire costs over $315. I can't afford to buy replacement tires if a sidewall is punched either on the trail or the street. They also balance, rotate, and repair for the life of the tires.

That's awesome about the road hazard -- thought that was only available if you got the tires there.

Tovrin, sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discount Tire

I agree. I also went to Discount and paid about $260 for all 5 of my KM2's. One tire alone costs over $300. Well worth the insurance.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If there is really someone strong enough to jam a ball point pen into the sidewall of a tire, I say you don't want to mess with them anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,935 Posts
Next week, if you have a pencil sticking out the side of your tire I say someone is out to get you.

;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dumb luck.

I had a large bolt go through the tread of one of my tires.... And rocks, nails, screws, brush, even a staple like from a staple gun.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts