Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So long story short my wrangler (79k miles) had a oil leak and ran on low oil for a while and now the motor is severely damaged. Took it to a jeep dealership, they said it'll need a full motor replacement. I still owe $9K on it and I'm trying to weigh whether I should just sell it and bite my losses or replace the engine. Anyone who has any experience or any advice - that would be greatly appreciated.

The damage is done, and the motor still runs, I could continue using it until it ultimately craps out - I have no idea when that would be. I'm not trying to spend $5K on a motor replacement but I would consider paying a smaller amount. So if anyone knows whether jeep helps out folks in my situation that would be greatly appreciated.

Really any advice anyone has to offer about any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,739 Posts
Hi Guys,

So long story short my wrangler (79k miles) had a oil leak and ran on low oil for a while and now the motor is severely damaged. Took it to a jeep dealership, they said it'll need a full motor replacement. I still owe $9K on it and I'm trying to weigh whether I should just sell it and bite my losses or replace the engine. Anyone who has any experience or any advice - that would be greatly appreciated.

The damage is done, and the motor still runs, I could continue using it until it ultimately craps out - I have no idea when that would be. I'm not trying to spend $5K on a motor replacement but I would consider paying a smaller amount. So if anyone knows whether jeep helps out folks in my situation that would be greatly appreciated.

Really any advice anyone has to offer about any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
First, I would never involve the dealer in that sort of thing. I would take it to a qualified independent shop.
What does "severely damaged" mean? Does it run poorly?
You can likely find a used motor and swap that in.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I honestly don't think Jeep will help you here. I figure you'll be $5k better off if you replace the motor and sell it, instead of selling it with a busted motor. Your selling market will be 99.9% smaller if it has a busted motor too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are they basing their recommendation simply on the fact that it was run with low oil levels, or have they actually taken it apart and noted issues inside the engine? If it's running now, a reliable engine rebuilder should be able to take it apart and replace everything that was worn excessively from low lubrication. I would think you could have the engine rebuilt to like new for $3-5k (depends what it needs though). Could even be less - there could actually be very little wrong, it depends how low it was on oil and how long it ran that way as to how much damage it actually did.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You might check into a used/rebuilt engine and find an independent shop R&R the old and replacement engines. Should be significantly less expensive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You might check into a used/rebuilt engine and find an independent shop R&R the old and replacement engines. Should be significantly less expensive.

Great idea. You can also get low mileage engines from wreckers parting out crashed Jeeps. If you go this route, or if you get it rebuilt, get a warranty on the engine. A reputable shop should give you at least a year warranty on an engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer some of you guys questions. The dealer I brought it to is the one my uncle works at so I believe his folks are giving me a fair and accurate evaluation. It still runs, but the motor is damaged in a way that indicates it will need to be replaced.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,362 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Remove the oil filter, and see if it is full of metal. Then base your next move on what you have seen.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a 2013 Honda CR-V that popped a motor at 64k miles. I had all the service done at Honda on time but was 4k out of warranty. I contacted Honda America and after a week of investigation, they covered 90% of the costs. So for $700 I had a new motor. 20k miles later it is still going strong.

So, if your Jeep is in otherwise good shape it is probably worth putting a new motor in it and running another 150k to 200k miles. Or as others said, a rebuilt or salvage motor. Or a V8 swap. :drinks:

·
Registered
44 Posts
To answer some of you guys questions. The dealer I brought it to is the one my uncle works at so I believe his folks are giving me a fair and accurate evaluation. It still runs, but the motor is damaged in a way that indicates it will need to be replaced.
It's running, and I assume since you didn't say it was dumping oil or coolant out that the block isn't cracked. So it probably doesn't need to be replaced, but it probably needs to be rebuilt. Dealerships do not rebuild engines, which is why they just said it needs to be replaced. An engine shop can tell you what it really needs. That's where you need to take it if you are serious about getting it fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts