Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Rubicon JK with a hard top. Soon installing AEV 3.5" Lift Kit with 35" tires

I want to eventually put a rooftop tent on it. Any recommendations on best roof rack to support the rooftop tent later? Something that will also let me take off the hard top if needed in the summer?

·
Registered
691 Posts
This could quickly devolve into a “what oil is best” discussion, but a couple clarifications on your requirements might help. Is budget an issue? Will the rack live permanently on the Jeep?

I chose cheap on the rack (Kargomaster Congo) and mid line for the tent (Tepui). Love my setup. The rack does not live on mine and can be removed in 20 minutes as can the tent. However, I don’t care what rack- $2k Gobi, or $600 Congo- you get, it will be very loud with no top or a soft top at anything over 50mph. I needed ear plugs with the tent and soft top.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If budget isn't an obstacle I recommend the RhinoRack Backbone system with the Pioneer Platform. It's a bit of an issue attaching the tent to the platform and I am still not quite through trying to determine the best way to accomplish this. But, it is a solid rack and sits fairly low to the roof. Not cheap though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This could quickly devolve into a “what oil is best” discussion, but a couple clarifications on your requirements might help. Is budget an issue? Will the rack live permanently on the Jeep?

I chose cheap on the rack (Kargomaster Congo) and mid line for the tent (Tepui). Love my setup. The rack does not live on mine and can be removed in 20 minutes as can the tent. However, I don’t care what rack- $2k Gobi, or $600 Congo- you get, it will be very loud with no top or a soft top at anything over 50mph. I needed ear plugs with the tent and soft top.
Which gas cans are those?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If budget isn't an obstacle I recommend the RhinoRack Backbone system with the Pioneer Platform. It's a bit of an issue attaching the tent to the platform and I am still not quite through trying to determine the best way to accomplish this. But, it is a solid rack and sits fairly low to the roof. Not cheap though.

----

is that the best quality option for something thats easy to take off and on from a hard top?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don’t know about that. When I bought thit Jeep it had the backbone already installed. It is fairly easy to install and remove. But I will leave mine on there.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
----

is that the best quality option for something thats easy to take off and on from a hard top?
The Rhino backbone system keeps the skeleton in place allowing the rack to come on and off as needed. TrailRecon on Youtube has one of the best documented installs and long term views of it. Neat system! I'll lean towards it if I go roof rack especially since a smaller rack matches up with the Bestop Sunrider.

The Teraflex Nebo system is a pretty cool second choice. It allows to remove the center slats from the roof. Not sure about the actual rail removal. Not nearly as popular, but looks lighter in weight.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Hi have a cheap smittybuilt SRC, works perfect for the ocasional expedition, it is fixed, does not pivot backwards, but there is enought room that with plenty of hands (four pairs), you can lift the hard top and gently slide it backwards without bumping into the rack.
I will say it is loud, I would not want it year round unless I was living out west and going on regular adventure trips which is sadly not the case.
Keep in mind that it interfers with the stock rear plastic bumper, you could cut out a hole in the bumper to feed the tube. I am lucky that I have the rear hard rock bumper so I pulled off the caps between the bumper and the fenders and that gave enough room for the tube to fit.
I also got a smittybuilt tent las spring it was on sale like for $650 on ebay, took it to colorado on a to week trip and has a great value.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
DiD HF stop selling these? I don't see them on their site anymore.
Oh wow, I just looked and couldn’t find them there either. Bummer as they are pretty good quality. I’m lucky and a store is 10 mins from the house, so I don’t get anything on line from them. Q

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi have a cheap smittybuilt SRC, works perfect for the ocasional expedition, it is fixed, does not pivot backwards, but there is enought room that with plenty of hands (four pairs), you can lift the hard top and gently slide it backwards without bumping into the rack.
I will say it is loud, I would not want it year round unless I was living out west and going on regular adventure trips which is sadly not the case.
Keep in mind that it interfers with the stock rear plastic bumper, you could cut out a hole in the bumper to feed the tube. I am lucky that I have the rear hard rock bumper so I pulled off the caps between the bumper and the fenders and that gave enough room for the tube to fit.
I also got a smittybuilt tent las spring it was on sale like for $650 on ebay, took it to colorado on a to week trip and has a great value.
How is the noise with the tent in the front of the rack? I tried it for one trip and even with the hard top needed ear plugs.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
How is the noise with the tent in the front of the rack? I tried it for one trip and even with the hard top needed ear plugs.
Oh yeah it was definitely loud. I was driving solo so I didn’t mind and just cranked up the radio volume :D
Maybe next trip I’ll inch it back a lttile but, but wanted to more or less Even distribute the weight on the Jeep.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh wow, I just looked and couldn’t find them there either. Bummer as they are pretty good quality. I’m lucky and a store is 10 mins from the house, so I don’t get anything on line from them. Q
Tractor Supply sells some made by Midwest Can. On sale now for $40 each. Might go and look them over.

·
Registered
408 Posts
and I am still not quite through trying to determine the best way to accomplish this.
What about adding Rhino accessory bars?

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a 2014 Rubicon JK with a hard top. Soon installing AEV 3.5" Lift Kit with 35" tires

I want to eventually put a rooftop tent on it. Any recommendations on best roof rack to support the rooftop tent later? Something that will also let me take off the hard top if needed in the summer?
Nebo by teraflex I can vouch remains very easy to take hardtop on and off. 4 extra bolts to loosen. I think it looks great too and isn’t much louder. I don’t put a RTT on but rather use it for gear like traction devices etc. I’d put rhino ahead in everything but aesthetics (YMMV) - carries a bit more weight, easier to add/remove (I think?) - but wow it’s spendy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts