Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Instead of having us list a bunch of pros and cons. Tell us what you want to use it for.

·
Registered
610 Posts
They both suck. RAV4 FTW!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
there is no comparison

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instead of having us list a bunch of pros and cons. Tell us what you want to use it for.
Itd be a dd and took offroad at times. I would like some space for people in the back but it's not a have to have thing. I like them both, just don't know which one would be better for doing both offroad and on road.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,301 Posts
We have a Wrangler and a Grand Cherokee. They are both awesome, go anywhere vehicles.

The Wrangler is definitely noisier, poorer gas mileage, "truckier" (ours is a Willys Edition manual with the mud tires etc.), poorer safety ratings but a *lot* more fun to drive.

The Grand Cherokee is easier to drive in on-road wintery conditions. The Wrangler will go more places - rougher etc.

If I were forced to choose I would choose the Wrangler every time.:) If my wife were forced to choose she would choose the Grand Cherokee.

Probably not much help.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Are you talking new or.....

If new. They can both do the street fine. The JKU might have more space. And a STOCK Wrangler will definitely beat a STOCK Cherokee off road.

But you really need to clarify Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. YJ TJ JK JKU?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have a Wrangler and a Grand Cherokee. They are both awesome, go anywhere vehicles. The Wrangler is definitely noisier, poorer gas mileage, "truckier" (ours is a Willys Edition manual with the mud tires etc.), poorer safety ratings but a *lot* more fun to drive. The Grand Cherokee is easier to drive in on-road wintery conditions. The Wrangler will go more places - rougher etc. If I were forced to choose I would choose the Wrangler every time.:) If my wife were forced to choose she would choose the Grand Cherokee. Probably not much help.
ExPatWillys the noise and ride don't bother me much. I'd want a vehicle I can make mine, I just want it to go anywhere. I have always liked the wrangler so I don't know which one to choose

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you talking new or..... If new. They can both do the street fine. The JKU might have more space. And a STOCK Wrangler will definitely beat a STOCK Cherokee off road. But you really need to clarify Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. YJ TJ JK JKU?
Sorry bout that. Where I'm from, just "Jeep Cherokees" are xjs. I should've clarified. It would be between and xj and a tj.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The XJ will be much better on pavement, more refined, quieter, perhaps better mileage. Off-road the wrangler will be better but the differences are probably only seen at tougher trails. Drive both and your be able to make up your mind.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The XJ will be much better on pavement, more refined, quieter, perhaps better mileage. Off-road the wrangler will be better but the differences are probably only seen at tougher trails. Drive both and your be able to make up your mind.
X2. I've had both, the Cherokee was purchased to replace a wrangler that an intoxicated driver hit head on. It always surprised me off road, couldn't complain about on road. But it is not a replacement for a wrangler. I went back to wranglers since (duh)....and now I have no idea what I was doing in that XJ.

So drive both. Find out what's good for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I'll probably have to do. It wouldn't be to tough of trails because it wouldn't be set up for it. I'm planning on building a jeep I can devote to fully off-roading in the future just not now.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What is better wrangler or Cherokee? Please adds pros and cons of your choice, thanks
Consider you ask this on a WRANGLER forum and not a forum of all jeeps I think you really want the wrangler. If I thought the Cherokee was better I would be on the Cherokee forum right now with one in my garage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Consider you ask this on a WRANGLER forum and not a forum of all jeeps I think you really want the wrangler. If I thought the Cherokee was better I would be on the Cherokee forum right now with one in my garage.
I asked on a Cherokee forum too. I figured I'd get the opinions of the people that like them both

·
Registered
51 Posts
Owned a Wrangler(YJ), ZJ, XJ and even the full size Grand Wagoneer. Still have the YJ and ZJ.

For bigger ventures like camping, road tripping, etc the ZJ rules. Still plenty for offroad but not nearly the aftermarket support or pricing compared to the others.

DD and hobbies the XJ takes top honors. Cheap to buy upfront, plenty of cheap aftermarket support for offroad and a better road vehicle than a wrangler. Not much you can't do with an XJ except haul loads of crap.

Fun and style points........ Wrangler hands down. By far the worst road vehicle of the 3, can't haul spit, most expensive of the three to buy, probably the most expensive period because the are basically a never ending erector set. Can be built to a stronger offroad vehicle than the others but 99% of owners would never ever need that extra umph. So why in the world would anyone in their right mind buy one over the other 2? If a person doesn't know then I can't explain it. You have to learn that yourself. What can I say..... it's a jeep!

Back me into a corner though and make me pick one as my main on/off road, do everything, DD vehicle I'd pick a ZJ. Sucks being practical.........glad I don't have to pick.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
So many things different about the two, but what caught my eye was the difference in price. Seems like the Wrangler is more expensive....

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have an XJ and a TJ in my garage right now. XJ is my dd, TJ is the weekend fun toy. I would have to say, if you have just one, the XJ is better for daily use. I couldn't loose the cargo capacity for hauling people and other stuff and better towing capacity. I do all my own home renovations and yard work so it is constantly being filled with materials and tools for large jobs. I have taken my XJ across the US to the rockies and it performed well on mountain trails (it is stock). It also hauls my canoes and kayaks. That being said, the TJ is more fun to drive, especially without doors and top. I couldn't get rid of either. So, what is most important to you?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
The biggest question is do you need the ROOM? Will it be a DD? If the answer to both of those is no..get the Wrangler and plan to start "Building"...if the answer to either one is yes, it becomes a question of, "What are you willing to "compromise" to drive the Wrangler?

I know Jeepers that have XJs and some of those are built and also DD, but most that are built are trail rigs only. Thats fine their choice.

Not to start a "flame fest" but once a Jeep is no longer fun to drive on the street and is a "trail rig only", it is no longer a Jeep. Jeeps were built and designed to do both. If ya want a trail rig buy a sand rail or side by side...or build your Jeep to that level and have the fun of the build. Your choice...to me JEEPS do BOTH ........... Good Luck!!

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,301 Posts
I agree with the others. Drive them both and see what you like best.

Like I said I would choose the Wrangler over the Grand Cherokee even with all the "considerations" I listed (and I forgot about leaks :)). I knew about them going in and still purchased and enjoy the Wrangler. It is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned by a wide margin.

But make sure you know what you are getting into with the Wrangler....

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
If you need room for people and stuff go XJ if you don't need that much room and enjoy having the top down go TJ. Xj's will more thank keep up on the trail if built right.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts