Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passing along to fellow JKers...saw this hit this morning:

Just saw this pop on AP and Reuters...

(Reuters) - Chrysler Group LLC is recalling 630,300 newer-model Jeep SUVs, some because of delayed deployment of airbags and others due to the potential of leaking transmission fluid, the company and U.S. regulators said on Thursday.
(AP) For Wranglers with 3.6-liter V-6 engines, Chrysler says a power steering fluid line can wear a hole in the transmission oil cooler line. The SUVs can leak fluid, damaging automatic transmissions. Dealers will inspect the lines for free and replace them or install a protective sleeve. The recall begins in July.
Also, 221,100 Jeep Wrangler SUVs with 3.6-liter engines from model years 2012 and 2013 will be recalled because of possible leaking of transmission fluid. Chrysler said a component of the Wrangler's power steering system may rub against a transmission fluid cooling line, causing the fluid to leak.

The Wrangler recall includes 181,000 vehicles in the U.S. as well as 18,400 in Canada, 3,300 in Mexico and another 18,400 outside North America.

Concerned customers in either case can call Chrysler at (800) 853-1403.
I saw some leakage under mine the other day so am going to check. It's early but if anyone else is hit by this would be interested to know what they replace. Will do the same on my side.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Chrysler Group said Thursday it is recalling 435,000 Jeep sport utility vehicles to repair problems with their air bags and transmission-fluid lines.
The announcements comes two days after the Big Three automaker said it would defy a separate recall request from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which asked for a recall of 2.7 million late-model Jeep Grand Cherokee and Liberty vehicles. The regulator believes they pose a greater fire risk in rear-end crashes.
Thursday’s recall covers 254,000 Patriot and Compass vehicles from model years 2010 to 2012. The vehicles are subject to a software glitch that could cause air bags to deploy late.
The automaker also said 180,000 Jeep Wranglers from model years 2012 and 2013 are being recalled to address a fuel-line leak that can damage the transmission.
Chrysler said there are no known injuries or accidents related to those issues. The recall starts in July, and the fixes will be done for free.

Read more: Chrysler Recalls 435K Jeep SUVs | Fox Business

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Check the other threads just posted on this issue...one has some good photos. I just checked mine...manufactured in October, 2012. There is already a thick rubber sleeve going all the way around that bend so it is apparently something they caught mid-year. I'll still have a dealer check it when I take it in for the first oil change.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If the airbag delay is anything like the horn delay, it probably goes off 2 seconds after you launch through the windshield.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
This issue is something Chrysler has known about for awhile but wasn't going to fix. However, the recent backlash in the media about Jeep refusing to fix the fuel tank issue on some older Jeeps is why they've decided to bring this very cheap and very fast fix to the forefront and issue a recall. They're off-setting the bad media earlier this week with some good media, even if the two issues aren't related.

Sort of sad.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Anyone have any info on the delayed airbags? Trannies can leak all day long...ya don't want your head leaking from a delayed airbag.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like it is only for automatic transmissions from the article. I called my dealer and they pulled the vin. Nothing shows for recall yet but they said that's not unusual for the manufacturer to announce then begin to push the recall notices.

The bummer part is I noticed mine leaking and just crawled up underneath. I can see the hose fully covered in transmission fluid and dripping down onto the axle. Ill snag a piture and post it here in a few.

She goes into the dealer tonight. Good thing is it will be under warranty anyways so I won't have to wait on the recall.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the heads up. Anyone have any info on the delayed airbags? Trannies can leak all day long...ya don't want your head leaking from a delayed airbag.
Airbag recall is only on the Compass and Patriots...not Wranglers.

2010-2012 Compass and Patriot vehicles built between May 6, 2008, to July 20, 2012. The issue with these vehicles is that there is a potential software glitch, which could not deploy the seat belt pretensioners and side curtain airbags, should the vehicle be involved in an accident where the vehicle rolled over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jeep Wrangler Recall

There is a recall for the transmission line, however the recall notice I received on 8-24-2013 states that Chrysler has not shipped the parts for the recall yet. Once the dealer receives the parts another recall letter will be sent to customers. I went out today and inspected my lines. Turn the left front tire outwards. Lift and support the splash shield. I sliced open a 6 inch piece of 3/8 fuel line longway and slide this over the transmission line. Secured it with 3-tie straps. Mine wasn't touching, but I decided to protect it anyway.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
^ That's similar to how I fixed it.

I had contacted my dealer when the news broke out of curiosity - they said there is no separate cover or hose separator available, if it was part of the recall they would order the entire hose assembly and put it on. I hate having dealers work on stuff, it's not exactly broken after all.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts