Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a local car stereo shop install a pair of Alpine SPV-65x-WRA speakers in the dash and roll bar of my 2017 2-door JK, along with a 1000 watt sub (2 12's in a sealed box) and an amp (Alpine KTA-30FW, 75 watts RMS x 4) and a head unit (Alpine i207-WRA).

To be completely honest, I really don't like how the SPV-65x-WRA speakers sound. They have a ton of 200-700hz, and they are a bit harsh in the 3.5k range, and they have very little crispiness up in the 14-16k range. They kind of sound like a bullhorn. In my opinion, a good speaker should be loud where our ears are not very sensitive, up in the 14-16k range, and softer in the 3.5k range where harshness occurs. I can correct some of this with the head unit's EQ, but it still ends up sounding weird, and the head unit reduces the volume going to the amp when you use the EQ to prevent clipping, so using the EQ extensively results in a signal that's not as loud.

The shop that installed the speakers will replace them within 30 days if I'm not satisfied, and these speakers were explicitly recommended by the shop as sounding good in the Jeep so I feel like it's partially not my fault. I just really don't want to be that guy and go back to the shop and tell them to pull the speakers back out if I don't have to, and I especially don't want to do that if it turns out that I'm just hearing the sound of the jeep cabin resonance or something. I was thinking I'd prefer some Hertz speakers. People say they are loud and bright which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anyone else installed these speakers? What did you think of them? Have you tried any other speakers? Do Jeeps just sound boomy and boxy and you have to deal with it?

·
Retired Moderator
104,208 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Your i207 head unit has an abundance of settings that will help you "dial in" the sound of the speakers. While I haven't heard those exact SPV-65x speakers, the 9 band parametric should indeed be able to shape the sound some. You don't want to use EQ to do massive boosts in any one range of frequencies, but some sound shaping and cuts in problem areas won't hurt anything. The parametric aspect of the EQ means you can not only boost or cut 9 individual bands, but you can move those bands in relation to one another to zero in on problem areas. You can also adjust the slope of those adjustments, so that the areas around a given band are boosted or cut gradually or sharply. Start with a "banana curve," with gentle boosts in both the lowest and highest portions of the spectrum, and then reduce individual bands slightly in the problem areas in between.

While it is entirely possible the sound of the SPV-65x simply isn't something you are going to like, try tuning first. Every speaker manufacturer has a slightly different take on what sounds good, what sounds right. People like those running the shop that sold the speakers to you also have their own ideas about what constitutes good sound that may not agree with your own. Failing that, there are plenty of really good 6.5" component speakers on the market priced from mild (like those Alpines) to wild. Before swapping them out, listen to as many as possible- brands like Focal, Hertz, Image Dynamics, Hybrid Audio Technologies, JL Audio, Rainbow, Dynaudio, Diamond Audio (to name a few) all offer component speakers that should fit and have a fighting chance of sounding great to your ears.

Keep in mind that Alpine's "power pack" amplifiers are more of a booster than a true amplifier, in that they boost output from the head unit's built in amplification to arrive at the power figures they quote- distortion originating in that tiny, easily clipped chip amp in the head unit gets amplified and is included in the final signal sent to your speakers. While I understand the draw of those power pack amplifiers- affordable, small footprint- they can pass along some artefacts in the sound coming out of the speakers compared to a true, clean outboard amplifier that is dealing with a pre-amp signal from the head unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
basicxj, the Alpine Power Pack can be set to accept RCA inputs.

I did go to Best Buy and I demo'd a bunch of speakers, and I liked the sound of the Kickers compared to the other Alpine and Kenwood speakers they had. They are (1) loud and (2) have lots of high 13-16k detail. I noticed they have tweeters made of PEI like the Hertz speakers (couldn't demo hertz speakers because Best Buy didn't carry any), so that's another point for Hertz in my book (hertz are even higher sensitivity and use PEI tweeters like the kickers).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't speak to the speakers you purchased but I can say it is incredibly difficult to set the levels in the Jeep. The sound stage is less than ideal and so are the speaker mounting locations. I installed Polk component speakers and it took me weeks to get them dialed in properly for my ears. Also to be noted, you absolutely NEED packing behind the speakers. If the shop didn't stuff any in there, you might be well served doing so yourself. Cheap pillow stuffing from Amazon works quite well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tweeters, midrange drivers, and subs. I want less midrange. Wouldn't polyfilling the midrange boxes make the problem worse? Bear in mind I've never used polyfill so I've never heard what it sounds like in person

·
Banned
291 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry you had that experience with the speakers. Here is a video I made about our speakers and I couldn't be happier. Now I need to find a nice head unit.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
I have tweeters, midrange drivers, and subs. I want less midrange. Wouldn't polyfilling the midrange boxes make the problem worse? Bear in mind I've never used polyfill so I've never heard what it sounds like in person

Polyfill will add a bit of accuracy to the speaker, but it does it at the expense of loudness.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
I just had a local car stereo shop install a pair of Alpine SPV-65x-WRA speakers in the dash and roll bar of my 2017 2-door JK, along with a 1000 watt sub (2 12's in a sealed box) and an amp (Alpine KTA-30FW, 75 watts RMS x 4) and a head unit (Alpine i207-WRA). The backs vibrate so badly at the higher volumes that you may as well call them speaker cones working opposite to the real ones.

To be completely honest, I really don't like how the SPV-65x-WRA speakers sound. They have a ton of 200-700hz, and they are a bit harsh in the 3.5k range, and they have very little crispiness up in the 14-16k range. They kind of sound like a bullhorn. In my opinion, a good speaker should be loud where our ears are not very sensitive, up in the 14-16k range, and softer in the 3.5k range where harshness occurs. I can correct some of this with the head unit's EQ, but it still ends up sounding weird, and the head unit reduces the volume going to the amp when you use the EQ to prevent clipping, so using the EQ extensively results in a signal that's not as loud.

The shop that installed the speakers will replace them within 30 days if I'm not satisfied, and these speakers were explicitly recommended by the shop as sounding good in the Jeep so I feel like it's partially not my fault. I just really don't want to be that guy and go back to the shop and tell them to pull the speakers back out if I don't have to, and I especially don't want to do that if it turns out that I'm just hearing the sound of the jeep cabin resonance or something. I was thinking I'd prefer some Hertz speakers. People say they are loud and bright which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anyone else installed these speakers? What did you think of them? Have you tried any other speakers? Do Jeeps just sound boomy and boxy and you have to deal with it?

First of all... good luck getting good sound in a jeep. 2/3 of the problem is the limited size of the boxes. Secondly... once you start cranking things, feel the back of the roll bar boxes. You will notice them to be vibrating like crazy. This adds tons of distortion and does a really great job at canceling out the more worthwhile signals. (it's where the boomy/boxy sound is coming from).

For the record... I purchased/installed a set of Hertz Mille MP 165.3 pro speakers in the rear. They sound worse than the Alpine premium sound speakers which came with the jeep. I ended up keeping the Hertz tweets and crossover and putting the alpine mid drivers back in. The Alpine's are deeper and push right up against the back of the boxes which seems to keep the back from vibrating excessively at the higher volumes

High end you can always correct by adding some higher quality tweets, but the 200-700 Hz woes... most of that has to do with the crappy undersized boxes. Find a way to correct that problem without sacrificing a lot of real estate.... then hey... let me in on your secret!

The best that I have found which SORT of works is extreme EQ adjustments and bigger amps to make up for the eq extremes.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I do not have those speakers but I was not satisfied with my JBLs after I installed them either. It took a while to get them dialed in where I wanted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, I just noticed on the customer Q&A on crutchfield's website somebody asked "What's the difference between the 0db TW level and the +3db TW level for the tweeter crossover?". Did not realize this existed, I'll have to ask the shop what they set it to

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have Hertz for the front and a 10" sub, all to a 1200 watt amp.
It sounds better than factory speakers for sure, but not what I wanted.

Recently rented a cherokee while my jk was getting the recall airbags replaced and the sound system on the cherokee was very nice. Not sure what it had.

One day i hope car audio catches up to home audio.

Would LOVE my setup in my jeep!
If I could put my peachtree nova 65 and svs sb2000 in my jeep I would in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I have Hertz for the front and a 10" sub, all to a 1200 watt amp.
It sounds better than factory speakers for sure, but not what I wanted.

Recently rented a cherokee while my jk was getting the recall airbags replaced and the sound system on the cherokee was very nice. Not sure what it had.

One day i hope car audio catches up to home audio.

Would LOVE my setup in my jeep!
If I could put my peachtree nova 65 and svs sb2000 in my jeep I would in a heartbeat.
Car audio has caught up to home audio years ago. The problem is the environment. It's relatively easy to get good sound inside a controlled environment like a house.

The default locations of speakers in a Wrangler are far from ideal. That's the biggest problem. So replacing speakers in stock locations won't gain you much if anything. It will take quite a bit of work to get great sound in a Wrangler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts