Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I would like to receive some tips from you about TJ's Jeep.
For 10 years I've had 4x4 vehicles, 2 CJ's and a Samurai Suzuki, but now I'm thinking about the TJ Wrangler. I live in Brazil and unfortunatelly here the Wranglers family is not so common. For this reason I would like to take the correct way.
My decision defined, TJ, but each one to choose?

The topics that I would like to be highlighted follow below:

- Transmission: each one is better, auto or mec.?
- TJ year: which year to buy? 97/98/99/00 or 01? Also here the importation started in 1997 and stopped in 2001, it back in 2007 until today.
- Lift kit: On April I'll in USA, so I'm thinking to buy a lift kit for my future Jeep, which one is the best choice? I'm thinking to put 4" lift kit and 1" of body lift, I prefer something like the Procomp 4" Stage I or 3.5" Rubicon Express system. And which other changes I've to do because of that?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english, if you don't understand some question or what I tried to say, I can try to explain better.

Very tks again.....:thumb:

Filipi

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well how are you planning to use the jeep? Daily driver? Weekend off road toy? Rock climbing? Trail riding? Mud machine?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Where in Brazil are you?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
As far as auto or manual, that is really up to you and how you like to drive. It is really a personal decision.

As to the model years, I don't think there is much of a difference.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Where in Brazil are you?
I only ask because I can't imagine wanting a stick if you live in a large city. When I was in Salvador the traffic was horrible and the hills don't help much. I would hate to drive in SP or RJ.:nonono:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only ask because I can't imagine wanting a stick if you live in a large city. When I was in Salvador the traffic was horrible and the hills don't help much. I would hate to drive in SP or RJ.:nonono:

I hate too, also here in my city the traffic is terrible. But we adapt, and the Wrangler will be my second car, not to use daily.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as auto or manual, that is really up to you and how you like to drive. It is really a personal decision.

As to the model years, I don't think there is much of a difference.

I've heard, from some guys here, that auto is better than manual transmission, when we are passing over obstacles, like in trail riding situations, but when we are driving in a highway, for expample, is the opposite.

My Jeep will be used almost all the time for trails, and for this reason I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of auto transmission. For example, which one can provide me more handling in trail riding situations? If is the case, which one can resist more to the hard situations, like "climb" a Rock, or cross a mud place?

The auto transm. are not so usual in Brazil, the most of cars use manual or semi-auto transmissions, for this reason I've to look the maintenance side, here for auto is more expansive, and much more, than for manual. If you, who are experts in Wranglers, says me that there is no big differences, between manual and auto TJs, I would choose the manual, just because of the maintenance facility$$$$$.
Otherwise, I should choose auto transmission, I think!!!!:)

I'm asking because I've seen, in many videos and photos, that in USA the manual Wrangler is very common in trail riding situations (that is my case).

Tks....

·
Registered
356 Posts
The auto trans in the jeeps pretty much bulletproof. My r32 3 speed is wonderful. Solid as the day i bought her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Auto is easier off road.
I heard that with auto we have a better handling, I mean more control...

I`m getting a conclusion, maybe is better for me to get a manual, considering the special maintenance that auto needed, at least here, that we don't have experts in this kind of transmissions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard that with auto we have a better handling, I mean more control...

I`m getting a conclusion, maybe is better for me to get a manual, considering the special maintenance that auto needed, at least here, that we don't have experts in this kind of transmissions.
The wise choice for Brazil would be manual for the reason you mentioned, in case of problem, you'll find nobody to work on the auto. The manual is common knowledge were you live.

Keep in mind you are asking those questions on a forum were we are by far a majority living in the USA, were we can find spare parts and mechanics everywhere. Even if it is rather simple to work on a TG and you can do a lot yourself, finding spares at a decent price might be difficult if the vehicle is not sold on a big scale.
Rare makes driving it expensive if anything bad happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The auto doesn't normally need maintainence because they are very strong transmissions. I guess if you did end up damagin it you would just need a swap.
Tks...:thumb:

The wise choice for Brazil would be manual for the reason you mentioned, in case of problem, you'll find nobody to work on the auto. The manual is common knowledge were you live.

Keep in mind you are asking those questions on a forum were we are by far a majority living in the USA, were we can find spare parts and mechanics everywhere. Even if it is rather simple to work on a TG and you can do a lot yourself, finding spares at a decent price might be difficult if the vehicle is not sold on a big scale.
Rare makes driving it expensive if anything bad happens.
Raptor,

You understood excatly the point...
Particulary I prefer auto, my father has a normal car auto, and is very confortable drove it in the traffic....and I believe also in Trail Riding situations but, because of the reason described by you and how I usually drive manual Jeeps, I'll look for a manual Wrangler, It's cheapper....:D...and it has a simplified maintenance....:D...

Guys.....very tks to help a Brazilian friend to take a decision....:thumb:
When I buy my TJ I'll put some photos here and share some experiences with you.....

Tks again and I wish a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!!!:dance:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts