Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dave Smith Motors in Idaho advertises a "Slingshot" model of the Wrangler Unlimited. Has anyone purchased one? I'm not someone who could modify a Jeep without causing major pain to myself and my Jeep, so their Slingshot is appealing, but it does seem pretty pricey.

·
Registered
725 Posts
So what are they asking for it? It seems to be a standard AEV type 6.4L hemi conversion with some bed spray on the top, flares, and side steps. Is it north of $75K? Did they change out the gearing?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I had to Google what a "Slingshot" model was (basically just their name for a dealer-modded JKU).

SlingShot Edition | Only at Dave Smith Motors

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you'll probably pay much more for that particular, already-modded Jeep, than just buying a JKU Sport and getting the mods yourself (unless of course you're set on a Hemi :rofl:). I didn't think I could do the mods myself either, but hubby and I have done everything but the regear, and wheels/tires since I ordered them from a local DT. And I've learned soooooo much about my JKU in the process.

However, if you're entirely uncomfortable with doing it yourself, you can always find some local Jeep clubs and join up. I've found that there's lots of helpful, friendly folks that love to help work on rigs. If that doesn't sound like your thing, you can also find a reputable local 4x4 shop to do it.

All that said, I'm a firm believer in "your money, your Jeep" ... do what feels best to you, not what strangers on a message board would do. :rofl:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
This is only your second post in nearly 4 years? That is some selective posting right there!

·
Registered
759 Posts
If I was rich as hell I would do it. But im 21 with pennies in my piggy bank, so i'll just shut up now.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Looks nice with a plethora of AEV parts and some rigid lights. usually those types of dealer modded jeep go for outrageous prices and they usually end up sitting on the lot for quite some time because no one ever buys them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looks nice with a plethora of AEV parts and some rigid lights. usually those types of dealer modded jeep go for outrageous prices and they usually end up sitting on the lot for quite some time because no one ever buys them.
I'd buy one of they were in the 50-55k price point... I absolutely love my 14 JKUR but would love it even more with the 6.4 Hemi in it. I wonder if they would go with a D60 rear from the factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was quoted a price of $49,000 on a similar unit, but I don't know if it had all the bells and whistles of this one. I started looked at the Wranglers as a unit to tow behind my RV. I kind of got sidetracked with kids looking at colleges so now as the kids are getting closer to making a decision and me finding out how poor I'm going to be I'm back kicking tires and trying to learn more about the Wranglers from a practical standpoint.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice looking Jeep! I guess it comes down to how useful the extra's are to you. Than again, to take reasonable advantage of all those extras, it looks like you would have to take a very expensive Jeep into some serious off-roading. I'm not sure I could do that, but I sure wouldn't criticize you for doing that.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I was quoted a price of $49,000 on a similar unit, but I don't know if it had all the bells and whistles of this one. I started looked at the Wranglers as a unit to tow behind my RV. I kind of got sidetracked with kids looking at colleges so now as the kids are getting closer to making a decision and me finding out how poor I'm going to be I'm back kicking tires and trying to learn more about the Wranglers from a practical standpoint.
Unless it's stolen a Jeep of that build content would cost more then $49,000 in upgrades alone. If you found a new 6.4L hemi swapped JKU with NONE of the extras for 49K I would buy it this second, like get off the computer this second and buy it before I do!

I have no idea what Dave is asking for the Slingshot edition (reminds me of Talladega nights "Ricky Bobby... Slingshot ENGAGED") but I would guess it's 6 numbers long with a comma about half way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I checked on the price of the fully loaded "Slingshot" edition and your estimates weren't too far off. The rig is in the mid-80's with all the toys. I can't imagine taking something that expensive on Slick Rock or somewhere similar. I'd be afraid to drive it with that type of cost.

I guess my decision now is whether or not to buy one that is slightly modified or buy a stock unit and see if I can get mechanical enough to do some mods myself.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Salesman at a local dealer told me of some nut who bought a fully loaded Rubi then put north of $25K into mods. Said the guy basically had everything that made it a Rubi modded. He'd have been better off starting with a Sport, save about $15k. He must have liked that hood sticker.

Another local dealer offers several pre-modified JKs on the lot, mostly built out with Smittybilt stuff, done by a local mod shop. I didn't look too much at them and can't mention their "enhancement" price, but guess these are meant more for going a mile or two down the boulevard and crawling around the parking ramp and parking stylishly in a sunny spot outside Macy's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts