Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 unlimited I’m fixing up. The gas tank skid plate is quite rotted and in Canada quite expensive. Wreckers don’t have any. Has anyone used gas tank straps to hold the tank? I really don’t need the whole skid as I’m not off roading. If yes what brand etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,808 Posts
I have a 2008 unlimited I’m fixing up. The gas tank skid plate is quite rotted and in Canada quite expensive. Wreckers don’t have any. Has anyone used gas tank straps to hold the tank? I really don’t need the whole skid as I’m not off roading. If yes what brand etc.
Off hand I would say your issue would be that the stock tank is fairly soft plastic and without the metal "skid" holding it in shape it may not hold its shape.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a f150 with a plastic tank and a escape with one as well. Both have two straps one at each end. Do you think maybe manufacturers of different makes could use different thickness of plastic in their tanks. Never considered that

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
No matter the cost having a secured gas tank is priceless. Buy the OEM replacement skid plate/bracket. If you're handy install it yourself and save on labor expenses not on safety. If you can remove it you can install it...u can do it!

·
Super Moderator
6,808 Posts
I have a f150 with a plastic tank and a escape with one as well. Both have two straps one at each end. Do you think maybe manufacturers of different makes could use different thickness of plastic in their tanks. Never considered that
All I know is I wanted to pull the stock skid and pound out some of the dents and re-paint it. I did not think about it being what held the tank in place. I was surprised when the skid and tank came down together. I was also surprised that the tank seemed awfully flexible and not a rigid tank.
Not knowing what shape yours is in, I would hope you could pull the tank and skid down, clean up the rust and perhaps treat it with a rust neutralizer, and re-install adding an aftermarket skid. The aftermarket skids don't typically replace the stock skid, they seem to go over top of the stock skid.
Also, if you do try to drop the tank / skid make sure the tank is as near to empty as you can get it. I was pretty lucky with mine, it was pretty empty when I accidentally dropped it. But it would have been easier to deal with if it had been even emptier.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Look for the cheapest gas tank skid you can find. It's about the cheapest solution out there and far better than straps on our plastic tanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got all the bolts loose. Took out one at a time put anti seize on them and back in. Good thing for large bolts. Never seen so much dirt etc ever. The first foot or so of the skid dropped on the floor. Rusted that bad. The dealer wants $500. for the skid plus tax. Can just an after market skid be put on without the original?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just called the dealer across town. Remember I’m in Canada so our prices can be wild. Retail is $875. and dealer cost $690. plus tax. Also back ordered and she didn’t know how long. She suggested after market. Smart girl!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after the remaining skid is pulled do you just put the aftermarket one on or other adjustments so to speak?
I thought with the rust those bolts that hold the skid would break. Whew!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I ordered a rubicon express fuel skid. Price is good inc. shipping $153. Had this Jeep 6wks. and still doing stuff to it. Once the skid is here and on I will be able to drive it. How cool is that!.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picked up the skid today in Port Huron mi. Going back to Canada the boarder guy asked if there was any alcohol/tobacco in the truck. Nope just a skid and have a goodnight was his reply. Well wrapped and kinda heavy. Now to get this installed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts