Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum but not new to wranglers, had a 2003 sold after a few years. I loved the 2003, but i was single no kids at the time. Well fast fwd 10 years I'm married with two kids < 4 years old. I'm in the market for a new "car". Everything I test drive I'm not impressed today was Infiniti G37x & Nissan Pathfinder ( i know I'm all over the board). But I keep going back to the Wrangler and I like it a lot.

A few concerns, anyone with young kids do two car seats fit okay in back of Wrangler Unlimited?

I know if i go out and buy a Honda/Toyota/Nissan it will last 10 years with little to no problems (which is what i need), will the Wrangler? Reading on here all the issues people have makes me a little concerned, although I'm sure if i joined the g37x forum similar issues would exist.

I just want to make sure my love for the wrangler is the right move at this point in my life.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought my JKU in the spring and absolutely love it! I have two boys ages four and six. One in a booster, the other and a car seat. They fit in the back with plenty of room in the middle for their games and junk. We go on camping trips a few times a year, and there's plenty of room in the rear cargo for all of our stuff. I love taking the top and doors off in the summer, the kids love it too! I'm sure it'll be great in the winter as well. No regrets!

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Take the car seats with you to the dealer and put em in. It's what helped me decide. Also how much longer will you have the seats you got now and how much longer till they are in booster seats.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2013 jku and 3 boys 13, 9, and 2. All three of them fit in the backseat. 1 car seat plus 2 more. Like above - they really enjoy the top down, I have taken the doors off yet.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I have two kids that go in every day one is white one is 5 months black one is around 10 months. Guess which one is adopted lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
No way would there be a dog in my new car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We traded our 2 door for an unlimited so we could fit 3 car seats across in the back. The seats have to be under 18 inches to fit without the doors hitting when you close them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
3 boys and a girl here. Two in booster seats in the back with one in the middle.......take the doors off for some around town driving and they will love it at much as you will.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Jap0029, what car seats are those? Look like our Safety First Alpha Omega's....hopefully because then I know I can fit them three wide!

·
Registered
876 Posts
New to forum but not new to wranglers, had a 2003 sold after a few years. I loved the 2003, but i was single no kids at the time. Well fast fwd 10 years I'm married with two kids < 4 years old. I'm in the market for a new "car". Everything I test drive I'm not impressed today was Infiniti G37x & Nissan Pathfinder ( i know I'm all over the board). But I keep going back to the Wrangler and I like it a lot.

A few concerns, anyone with young kids do two car seats fit okay in back of Wrangler Unlimited?

I know if i go out and buy a Honda/Toyota/Nissan it will last 10 years with little to no problems (which is what i need), will the Wrangler? Reading on here all the issues people have makes me a little concerned, although I'm sure if i joined the g37x forum similar issues would exist.

I just want to make sure my love for the wrangler is the right move at this point in my life.
What ever happend to the "Good Ol' Days" when Dads arm was the seat belt. Way back when I had a CJ-7 one of my kids broke his nose on the roll bar because he didn't buckle up... LOL True story!

Lighten up, hang up the phone, don't text and I'm sure you will be OK!

50 Something

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Leave it to me to overstate the obvious....the car seats will fit. You have been a Jeeper for over 10 years and the fever is back. Fortunately Jeep has finally caught up to the fact Jeep people have family...welcome back!! You are in for a great ride!!

2012 JK 14K miles since Dec'11 NO ISSUES!!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I occasionally have to squeeze 3 kids in the back of my Unlimited... 2 in boosters one not. It is a bit of a tight squeeze for three, especially trying to get everyone buckled in properly. Now I'm getting the ever popular complaint of "he/she is touching me." They can ride in my wife's minivan all the time as far as I'm concerned.:whistling:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dakovich

You are correct. These are the Alpha Omega seats. We have the top off right now and we're about to head to Love Field so the kids can watch the planes take off and land. Still haven't gotten brave enough to take the doors off with the kids in it yet. Installed the Ace rock rails so the kids can climb in and out. The kids love the Jeep and its a great way for the whole family to have some fun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have one car seat in the middle for my one year old. I wouldn't care if I had to fit 3 back there and put my seat all the way forward to do so. I love my Jeep and will sacrifice a little comfort to enjoy it. I have so much fun in it and I know once my 1 year old daughter is a little older, she will love daddy's Jeep too. And that my friend is priceless.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 2 year old and a 4 y/o. Drive a 2012 JKUR. They have plenty of room in the back. They use to be in the back of a 2 door jeep. They dint mind either way, they both love the Jeep and yell for the top down every time we get in it.

Pull the trigger, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have six, yes....six boys. 10, 8, 6 1/2, 4 1/2, 2 1/2, and 1. We have lots of car seats and boosters around here. Love the JKU, and so do the boys when the doors and top are off. I am looking to add a third row of seats soon. Don't let the naysayers about safety turn you away. I wouldn't go off roading with doors/top off, but look closely and you will see stickers/owner's manual says that the top and doors offer no protection in the case of an accident. Properly restrain, and they will be way safer than sitting in the middle of the front bench seat with no belt between mom and dad (behind a metal dashboard) like when I was a kid. Take the precautions to buckle and restrain properly and have fun! If God wants you or them, he will take you no matter what restraint you have on.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I know if i go out and buy a Honda/Toyota/Nissan it will last 10 years with little to no problems.
That is a very dangerous assumption to make. Don't be a sheep and buy into the lies and ridiculous P.R. kool-aid that's been spread around the nation over the past 30 years. The japanese 4x4s have recall lists longer than a football field, and their fair share of problems. Nissan in particular has some serious mechanical problems with their 4x4s, but Toyota isn't much better. It drives me insane when people act like buying japanese automatically guarantees you no problems. That's a lie straight from he!!.

To answer your question, their are obviously some issues with the Wrangler. But... the new ones have 100,000 miles of powertrain warranty so it's not a bad investment at all. And not all Wranglers have problems. As far as kids go...remember that the Wrangler Unlimited has a terrible center seating position in the second row. There's no structural support in that spot. It's like sitting in a hammock. The engineers (as always) forgot to use common sense when making that design. But otherwise my 3 kids fit OK and they enjoy the Jeep more than they'd enjoy a regular SUV.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It has plenty of room for my three kids. 1 yr old in a car seat, 4 year old in booster, and the 8 year old in the middle. They all love the Jeep. I have not seen my kids smile as much as when we're in the Jeep with the wind flowing through the cabin.

·
Registered
502 Posts
3 across. 4 yr old behind passenger (he kicks my set too much) in a booster seat. 7 mos old baby in car seat in middle. 2 year old behind me in full size car seat. It's a chore, but they only ride on special occasions and of course trail riding on the weekend

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 9 year old daughter and a 6 year old son who fit perfectly and love riding in my 2013 JKU. Son is in a booster. Daughter is not. I had a 2004 TJ before and they were both in car seats. They LOVED having the top off!

Do it! Kids will love it!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts