Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After work the other night two people decided to slam on there brakes in front of me and I totaled a mustang with my jeep going about 30, Jeep took it like a boss, however driving home I noticed my steering wheel is off and the traction control light is on and it kept braking on its own. Today I took the skid plate off to look at the damage and from the looks of it I can get my after market bumper now. Any suggestions on what to do about traction and please any suggestions on a after market bumper preferably under 400 since I'll have to throw in whatever my insurance claim doesn't cover
Below are the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I hope there were no injuries! You did a number on that Mustang. Initially I thought it was a smaller car like a Scion.

If the next to last picture is the front cross member of the frame. The frame could be bent slightly. Does the wheel on either side look farther back in the wheel well or angled compared to the other side?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Did it bend the drag link or is the wheel off center?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't really tell because I have 33 12.50 15s on this jk sport with no lift or anything so when I put the tires. On they were already pretty close to rubbing the bumper,
When I drove home from the scene of the accident I only went 30 because my steering wheel was off the traction control icon was on and every few minutes it's like it would brake for me and I'd lose traction.
I've been staring at both sides and it looks like one wheel might slightly off compared to the other one.
I'm pretty much a newbie to working on jeeps. This is my second jeep but throughout hs and college no money to mod so I'm just now getting into it

Attachments

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
1. Why did you drive it instead of getting it towed somewhere?

2. You should definitely have a competent body shop write you an estimate...separate from what your insurance says. Chances are there is more damage done than you can see. Make sure the transmission and transfer case aren't damaged as well. Even though it doesn't look too bad your Jeep has several thousand in damages.

3. The picture of your mangled crash bar is a good example of why you shouldn't cut it off for aesthetics like many people do. Had that bar been cut off you would have probably done more damage to your axle and suspension.

Glad you're ok! That's really the most important thing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
abs is firing off because the steering wheel is out of alignment. It senses your wheel turned but your accelerometer is reading straight ahead. Find out what put your steering wheel out of alignment (e.g., bent drag link). You can re-align your steering wheel with the turnbuckle on the drag link, but whatever damage caused it to go out of alignment is still there.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
as noted above have a shop check it, could be frame damage your not seeing...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Take it to the body shop for estimates. You could have tweaked the frame very easily. The steering wheel being off center is causing your TC light and activation. Big question, what is bent causing the steering wheel to be off center?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I have an appointment with a collision center on Wednesday , just spent 2 hrs getting the mustangs glass out of jeep and I still see it everywhere. I Decided it was a good night for the top down

·
Registered
16 Posts
1. Why did you drive it instead of getting it towed somewhere?

2. You should definitely have a competent body shop write you an estimate...separate from what your insurance says. Chances are there is more damage done than you can see. Make sure the transmission and transfer case aren't damaged as well. Even though it doesn't look too bad your Jeep has several thousand in damages.

3. The picture of your mangled crash bar is a good example of why you shouldn't cut it off for aesthetics like many people do. Had that bar been cut off you would have probably done more damage to your axle and suspension.

Glad you're ok! That's really the most important thing.

All good points. I'd be curious to see how much damage was actually done to your Jeep once a shop looks at it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am shocked the Mustang is so trashed. As you can see by my name, I have one of those too. Hope I don't ever get hit by a Jeep, wow.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
it looks like your drag link is really bent.. maybe tie rod too.. upgrade to currie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1. Why did you drive it instead of getting it towed somewhere? 2. You should definitely have a competent body shop write you an estimate...separate from what your insurance says. Chances are there is more damage done than you can see. Make sure the transmission and transfer case aren't damaged as well. Even though it doesn't look too bad your Jeep has several thousand in damages. 3. The picture of your mangled crash bar is a good example of why you shouldn't cut it off for aesthetics like many people do. Had that bar been cut off you would have probably done more damage to your axle and suspension. Glad you're ok! That's really the most important thing.
I'm glad you pointed that out to me...definitely going to reconsider what replaces it

·
Registered
614 Posts
What if you're replacing the crossmember with a bumper? A bumper made from 1/4" steel with a stinger? :)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I am shocked the Mustang is so trashed. As you can see by my name, I have one of those too. Hope I don't ever get hit by a Jeep, wow.
Speaking of Jeeps vs. Mustangs...

It was years ago, but I was rear-ended in my YJ by a Mercury Capri (a Mustang sibling/clone/copy back then).

Everyone use to laugh at those little bumperettes the YJ had in the rear. Well, the one bumperette, went right thru the Capri's grill, radiator, and battery, leaving not much of any of it. The Capri had to be towed away. Whereas, my bumperette wasn't even bent, just scratched a bit.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
What if you're replacing the crossmember with a bumper? A bumper made from 1/4" steel with a stinger? :)
Well the crossmember sits lower than almost every bumper made. Some bumpers require you to cut it off, while others have an optional skid plate that bolts to it. Some people think they are ugly and cut them off after adding aftermarket bumpers. You can see from the OP's pictures why keeping the bar intact is a good idea. It helps to protect the axle, drag link, tierod and track bar.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That Mustang absorbed several tons of kinetic energy that would otherwise have been transferred into the occupants' bodies.

OP, your hood is crooked relative to the grille. Hopefully it's just the grill being bent, and not the underlying bits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts