Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, first time poster but looking forward to checking out all the features.

Got a question: we have a 97 Wrangler, auto, air, soft top, and overall good to better than good shape. My son managed to wreck it last week. The damage is to the passenger front end (fender, most everything steering or suspension on that side), axle and frame look to be good though. He also managed to break the "brain" chip that runs the motor (a $600-$700 part or so I'm told).

Not insured for collision, just liability. So, I'm thinking of totalling it and starting over. How much do you think the Jeep is worth as is? Don't need anything exact, just an idea of if it's worth $1k, $2k or what?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It depends if u are going to part out ,scrap, or sell ...is the steering or suspension crushed as well?as per ur post just being hit on the fender just stating that "everything" is on that side. You can find used computers and have them flashed.i would strongly recomend having a collision shop look for damage if u are unsure, if you would like to keep it ,and base your opinion off of that. As for rough prices in your area i would look at Craigslist,eBay,this forum to get a general idea to see if its worth it for you.Remember estimates are usually free u just need to free up time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Scrap :500
Fix : pending on damage and your ability to find used parts and mechanical ability...
Parts: varies ... Pending on what extras you may or may not having installed post did not say if it was modified.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Please post pics. You will be surprised how cheap and vastly available parts for TJs are along with IMHO, one of the easiest vehicles to work on.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just for comparison, I got my jeep with a salvage title from a shop that had fixed it up. Here's a picture of what it looked like. I've had no issues with it, and they obviously thought it was worth the time to fix it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Those posts are helpful. Here's a pic. Hard to see much as it's sunk in the mud. It's now at a friend's shop, and he's giving me the parts list. FYI: the worst of the damage is underneath. Not to worried about cosmetics at this point, just want it safely/dependably drivable or move on to something else.

I do have someone who has mentioned buying and repairing it for a nephew. No idea what to ask for it, if I go that route.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I vote fix it, if you still want a tj. Think about if you buy a new vehicle it is a can of worms. You will more than likely need to cover some maintenance items and possibly some unexpected things. That doesn't look too bad. At least with that jeep you know what issues it has or doesn't aside from the new damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, better news from my shop friend, as he's finding radius arms, control arms (upper & lower) and such pretty cheaply. Note: he doesn't think the axle is bent (which is good news). But, he's having a hard time finding an ECU for a 4 cyl automatic, or at least finding one for a decent price. Suggestions?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Buy all the suspension stuff off craigslist and salvage yards. Guys practically give away stock control arms, track bars ect on Craigslist just to clean out their garages after doing a lift. Even stock front fenders are cheap as they are often replaced with aftermarket upgrades.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya'll are the best. Thank you so much for all the suggestions and thoughts. I've searched junkyards in our area - NO Wranglers close to the same year, but will check eBay and Craigslist.

Thanks again guys . . . will keep you updated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts