Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wrenches for Wenches.... Or, I need some help

Hee Hee... :whistling:

Seriously... can someone tell me why it is difficult to find larger size wrenches like 21mm, 22mm etc... in 6 point rather than 12? I always thought that I got a better *fit* with the 6.... but maybe I'm just imagining things :confused:

I need to buy a 19mm, 21mm and 22mm. I was planning on getting each in open/closed ends.... any reason to go another direction (like the ratcheting wrenches... I've never used one) I kind of like having the choice of open or closed... sometimes open gets into places easier, while closed seems to lock on better...

Also.... I'll be getting sockets in those sizes... should I get short or deep? I do not want to get both.... too much weight...

Filling in the tool box as needed...

Thanks for any advice :flowers:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Not imagining things, 6 point will be less likely to round off the corners of a nut and bolt. But in the metric sizes bigger than 20mm, 12 point is less likely to round off corners.

Combination wrenches are handy, box end (closed) for final tightening or loosening and the open end for quick turning.

While deep sockets are a must sometimes, more often than not you can get by just fine with standard length.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I never had a problem with 12 pt sockets, but I did find that Sears.com usually has a better selection than going to the store.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Ive found smaller 12 pt sockets are easier to smash onto a rounded rusty bolt, lol. But ideal conditions definitely favor a 6pt one

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello CG3

Im looking for my first JK. Since you are asking about metric sizes, im guessing the new JK's have metric size nuts and bolts. Is this correct.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Everything has gone metric.

To the OP,

You can still get 6 pt box end wrenches in the larger metric sizes, but only from the professional tool mfg. ie, Snapon, and they are expensive.

Get the short (std length) sockets. A lot of times that's all you can fit into the gap that you need to get into. If you do find the occasion that you need a deep socket, you can buy just that one socket you need.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the info.
> SilverRubi " But in the metric sizes bigger than 20mm, 12 point is less likely to round off corners." That's interesting. I wonder why? Puts an end to the search. I'll just get the ones Sears has online/on sale for P day :thumb:

I like the prices/warranty/look of Craftsman's Pro stuff. The full polish. I really like snap-on tools, but they are cost prohibitive for me, and the craftsman does the job... and still has a bit of a sexy look/feel to the polished stuff. Yes... I'm very visual.

> Vin - I'd actually gone so far as to put all the stuff in a *shopping cart* online, but then wondered about the 6 vs. 12 point on the larger wrenches.

Guess I didn't word it well re: the sockets..... was trying to figure what would have the highest chance of being needed on the road (deep vs. standard). As in away from civilization. Sounds like the standard will be the best guess.... I have both in smaller sizes, but don't want both of everything. Too many tools to carry.... don't know that I could do anything with them anyway... but for sure I can't without them :) I can for sure do basic stuff like change out radiator hoses, probably a serpentine belt, etc... Or - some savvy person may happen along with the know - how and not the tools :whistling:

> Silverback3..... metric/sae/torx. All of them...

Thanks again all for your input here :flowers:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Thanks all for the info.
> SilverRubi " But in the metric sizes bigger than 20mm, 12 point is less likely to round off corners." That's interesting. I wonder why? Puts an end to the search. I'll just get the ones Sears has online/on sale for P day :thumb:
As you get into the bigger sizes, the distance between each of the 12 poitns becomes greater so they grab the corners of a nut or bolt more like a 6 point.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Most craftsman sets I've seen (the big money saving ones) usually only go up to 18mm, which is fine for most of your work, but for the suspension I needed a 21mm so I when and bought a 10 socket set for like half of the 108 pc set. Buying a single socket would be like 12 bucks plus shipping so for 40 bucks I got a few extra.

The only one I need now is the socket for the axle nut and I think I'm good. I forget what size that is.

Wait for Sears holiday sales for the main tool set. You can get a nice 100+ piece starter set for like 50 bucks.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most craftsman sets I've seen (the big money saving ones) usually only go up to 18mm, which is fine for most of your work, but for the suspension I needed a 21mm so I when and bought a 10 socket set for like half of the 108 pc set. Buying a single socket would be like 12 bucks plus shipping so for 40 bucks I got a few extra.

The only one I need now is the socket for the axle nut and I think I'm good. I forget what size that is.

Wait for Sears holiday sales for the main tool set. You can get a nice 100+ piece starter set for like 50 bucks.
Yes, I have a set.... bought quite some time ago... but am just filling in with a few larger sizes as needed :thumb:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
T
Guess I didn't word it well re: the sockets..... was trying to figure what would have the highest chance of being needed on the road (deep vs. standard). As in away from civilization.
That is a really tough nut to crack. And unfortunately, sometimes the answer is "both". There are some bolts with limited clearance around them that you will ONLY get a short socket over, and some nuts with enough bolt sticking out of them that a short socket won't reach the nut.

My upper track bar nut is a bastard combination of BOTH of the above. There's too much bolt sticking out to get a short socket down to the nut, and not enough clearance to get a deep socket plus torque wrench over it. I have to get the socket seated first, then "persuade" the torque wrench to swivel into it...

I guess the best advice would be to get a full set of the short sockets, and then spend an afternoon pretending to remove any part of your Jeep that you can possibly think of having to replace. Make a note of anything your short sockets can't get, and buy just those as deep sockets.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a really tough nut to crack. And unfortunately, sometimes the answer is "both". There are some bolts with limited clearance around them that you will ONLY get a short socket over, and some nuts with enough bolt sticking out of them that a short socket won't reach the nut.

My upper track bar nut is a bastard combination of BOTH of the above. There's too much bolt sticking out to get a short socket down to the nut, and not enough clearance to get a deep socket plus torque wrench over it. I have to get the socket seated first, then "persuade" the torque wrench to swivel into it...

I guess the best advice would be to get a full set of the short sockets, and then spend an afternoon pretending to remove any part of your Jeep that you can possibly think of having to replace. Make a note of anything your short sockets can't get, and buy just those as deep sockets.
That's great advice. And I find it hard to believe that SOMEONE hasn't already done this. Heck, I'd be willing to PAY for a list of what is needed to work on my jeep... sizes/metric vs. sae/ etc... I've googled 'till my brain just quits.... then googled some more. I'm thinking about asking the mechanics at TeraFlex Plus when I'm down there next week. Pretty much all they work on is Wranglers and Cherokees.

Then - from that list, I'd whittle it down to what I think I could actually use...

·
Registered
14 Posts

And those reasons are why God created the Semi Deep sockets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts