Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Sahara 4 door with 21k miles. This is my first jeep so I knew that trying to put the top up was going to be a challenge. However after several hours, I knew something wasn't right. I took it to my local jeep dealership and I was right, something was wrong. The top did not snap into place as it should have and didn't fit right. Took 3 service guys to get it to snap in.

I was told that my top was older then my jeep. However, I purchased my jeep at auction - it was a previously leased jeep. Is it possible that whoever had this vehicle could put an older top on this jeep and still turn it in that way?

Any advice/help is much appreciated. I really like this jeep and it's perfect in so many ways yet...I have no desire to mess with the top and take it off which is unfortunate since I've had it less then 24hr :(

·
Administrator
41,909 Posts
A JK Unlimited soft top is a JK Unlimited soft top as far as I know. In 2011 as I recall, they changed the door surrounds and frame but the top is the same. I moved your thread here to the JK area so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon.

In the mean time, I just like to say . . .

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

Click here for tips to help you use the forum

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Congrats on buying a jeep, and sorry about the top issue. While I can't help you on your post, I can say that although it is unfortunate you can't mess with the top much, when you get a new one, you'll love it.
Taking the windows off and folding it back can be done fast and easy just like putting it all back together. There are plenty of posts where people either explained in great detail how the operate the soft top or post a link to a video to show you.
I will warn you that if you spend an extended time without the top on(and especially with the doors and top removed), you will feel a bit closed in when you put it back on.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

My understanding is that there were changes to the top in 2011.

Having said that, a top should fit any JK regardless of year as long as ALL the parts (door surrounds, folding mechanism, side curtains, tailgate bar) are of the same model year.

Dealers are notorious for being dismissive the moment they don't see greenbacks coming.

Good luck,

Aldo

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The previous owner may not have lowered it. They are tight as hell the first few times you put them up. I struggled with my '13 when it was new and its not even my first soft-top Jeep.

Putting it back together will be a 10 minute or so process once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
The previous owner may not have lowered it. They are tight as hell the first few times you put them up. I struggled with my '13 when it was new and its not even my first soft-top Jeep.
I know that with my Mustang, when I store it for the winter, I always leave it with the soft top up. If one leaves it down for a long period of time, the top can actually shrink. Possibly, the previous owner of the OP's JK, left the soft top down for most of the time, and has to simply work out any shrinkage, as you suggest?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Let it sit out in the sun for a while. That should heat it up enough to stretch it out a bit better.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
I was told that my top was older then my jeep. However, I purchased my jeep at auction - it was a previously leased jeep. Is it possible that whoever had this vehicle could put an older top on this jeep and still turn it in that way?
I can offer a general comment. I haven't bought many used vehicles, but I am always surprised on what people do to their vehicles before turning them in. I guess they get some satisfaction thinking they are screwing the dealer, when in fact, all they are really doing is screwing over the next owner.

On the last used vehicle I bought, the previous owner did things like keeping the factory floor mats, the rear cargo cover, and even the 2nd key fob. In your case, they could have sold/swapped their good top, and put on what ever piece of junk they could find just before they turned it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's responses and helpful info. I went to 2 different jeep dealerships and both said the exact same thing...it's not the factory top, it's not even a top for a 2014. It's several years old. Therefore, I need to get a new one. Not thrilled about it but given what I paid for it, it's worth it at this point.

In doing my research, I am looking at a Bestop or a QuadraTop...any suggestions? I'm thinking the sail cloth is the best way to go.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If I'm reading into your post correctly, you have the newer 2014 door surrounds, and an older style top. Check out the soft top help sticky thread on here, but basically any 2007+top will work on your Jeep IF you have the proper door surrounds for it. I'm guessing you don't. However you did say they eventually got it on correctly, so I'm not positive what the issue is without seeing it.

Since you are in Clearwater there are several Jeep clubs around you and I'm sure they would be more willing than the dealer to help you with it. Tampa Jeep Krewe is a big one down there, look them up.

Good luck and congrats on buying a Jeep!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Mike for the helpful advice. Trust me when I say, we got the top on but with the help of 3 guys from the jeep dealership. They noticed very quickly that it was not the correct top...even the 2nd place I went to picked up on that very quickly. Not to mention, it is LOUD when driving. I test drove a 2013 a few weeks ago and it was quiet so I knew something was wrong. Just frustrating...weather is beautiful here and I can't even take off the sunroof part, ugh.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Are the sides above the front doors not sealing to the door surrounds correctly? The newer tops use a cable that runs along the edge of the top on the sides that uses tension when closed to seal the top. The old style uses plastic clips that slide into the door surround similar to the bottom of the side windows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It turns out that the entire frame is bent. What we think happened is that the previous owner sold the original top and put this piece of junk on it. Lucky me. But, ordered a new top and frame and just waiting to have it installed.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i would recommend you consider asking the dealership to check all of the fluid levels and give your Jeep a thorough inspection. I find it extremely odd that the owner of a 2014 Jeep would remove a good top and replace it with a used bent one. I find it more likely that:

1. The Jeep is a repossession and was taken back when the top was off. They bought whatever cheap top was available just to sell it.

2. One of the Jeep owners (do a title check to verify how many owners it has had) sold the soft top, sold the Jeep to another owner who bought the bent top you have, and then sold it.

Do not believe what you were told about this Jeep. The fact that it is an auction vehicle does not, in my opinion, bode well for you. Have the Jeep thoroughly inspected.

Joe

It turns out that the entire frame is bent. What we think happened is that the previous owner sold the original top and put this piece of junk on it. Lucky me. But, ordered a new top and frame and just waiting to have it installed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts