Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I found a d44 for 250 these things go for 800-2000 around here for working TJ units. but this 1's been tamper'd with and someone's welded the spiders in. with the absence of C-clips in the 44 I should be able to remove the axle shafts and pull this whole carrier out regardless of welding................am I correct here

·
Registered
847 Posts
Commonly called a "Lincoln locker," as in Lincoln brand welders. Yes, pull the axles and the carrier should come out.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Yes. As long as all that got welded was the spiders it should be an easy fix. Being welded up I would take a real good look at the axles for any twisting or deformation of the splines.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
What the PO made was a "Spool" differential. I would recommend replacing the carrier also, as these applications tend to severely weaken the stock carrier as it wasn't designed for this.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yah if I take this thing it will be a total Revolution rebuild. shafts, RnP, master install set and locker........any junkyard brakes that can be cannibalized to get discs on a 44?? im capable of converting the 8.8 but kinda OCD and offset and stubby don't bode well with me. the way i'm seein it a beefed n trussed 44 should be as capable stock 8.8, which i'll never bust and both are similar investments, and it all stays Jeep...............

·
Registered
617 Posts
The later TJ's have rear disk brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts