Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive had a weird problem with my jeep lately ill be driving down and all of a sudden the hole vehicle jerks, rpms jump down low, it loses all power, then it goes right back to normal, a minute ago it happened to me and i pulled in the driveway and pulled it out of gear, i sat there a second then the roms went really low ( like 300-400 rpm ) then it went back to about 800 ( idle ) it did that about 3 times then died, i started it back up, moved it then it shut off again. Wtf is wrong?? Bad gas? Fuel pump/filter? At first i thought my clutch was going out but it still did it when it was out of gear and idling. I need to know this is my DD. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Check your ground wires first. Clean and tight, clean and tight.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
I would say you need to clean the throttle body and idle air control valve (IAC) see if that helps your issue, this is a common issue on TJs and free to give it a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc9ilkiRoTU

·
Registered
238 Posts
As said above, also ck clean and tighten both ends of bat cables, negative and positive, ck battery voltage with engine off and with it running. Ck fuel pressure at the rail with key on, then with engine running then while driving

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Could maybe be throttle position sensor?
Not saying no, but highly unlikely as it did/does it at idle as well. TPS does not even have to be hooked up and the engine will idle fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
(Don't know if it applies to Jeeps but...)
I had a similar problem with my Grand National. I checked all the grounds, TPS and throttle body. On the GN there's a magnet sensor on the flywheel? When I cleaned it with some sandpaper, no more lunging, jerking other things you are going through. I don't know if Jeeps have those sensors. I'm too new to the Jeep.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the throttle body a minute ago and it looked really good and clean and i checked the distributor cap and rotor button and they looked good, ( i also noticed a corroded ground strap ) i also need to clean my battery terminals but im still confused of what is causing the problem, could it be fuel pump, filter, injector??

·
Registered
238 Posts
You need to do the basics first, of which involves checking, cleaning and tightening of the batt cables then go from there. Diagnosing a problem starts with checking the easy stuff first. Have you checked all the stuff that was mentioned above?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to do the basics first, of which involves checking, cleaning and tightening of the batt cables then go from there. Diagnosing a problem starts with checking the easy stuff first. Have you checked all the stuff that was mentioned above?
I still need to check grounds but i highly doubt that is the problem

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
I still need to check grounds but i highly doubt that is the problem
it is often the problem!!! Just try it, it is free!! You ask for help and are getting common problem solutions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seafoamed it today, runs a lil better, still didnt solve the problem, tomorow im gonna try to clean throttle body and battery terminals and maybe grounds

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Check fuel rail pressure or better still fuel trim data from OBD port when it is acting up as if it is due to low fuel pressure the fuel trim values will jump up

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You didn't give the year of your TJ. But, based on the information of erratic RPM's, and dying, I would say to check the cat. It is a known problem with TJ's. In fact, there was a recall for certain years. If the cat is clogged/broken/defective, it would cause the same problems.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its a 99, if the cat is the problem ill just take it off and clean all of the comb out of it. Also i looked on prodemand.com and i could not find any recalls concerning this but it said it could.be crank position sensor or the iac

1 - 20 of 43 Posts