Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. So recently I snagged a deal for a set of used rims and tires. I put them on, and about a week later one of the lug studs broke(rear driver side). I fixed it, and everything was fine and dandy for a while after that. THEN about a month later the brake caliper on the same wheel came off and rode up and bent the shield (didnt put loctite on). Well this time I took it to a mechanic and I asked them to inspect everything and make sure its all good. After this, I started to feel a slight vibration through my gas pedal and a "wub wub wub" sound starting around 40-45 mph. So I switched out the rims/tires with my old ones just to see if it would fix the problem, and nope it did not. I brought it to a trusted local mechanic and he "extensively" inspected and found nothing but said its probably the tires.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Also the sound is loudest on the driver side.

·
Retired Moderator
100,609 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Check the driveshaft joints. Check tires for cord separation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bent rim or flat spots on tires?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Here are some guesses:

Check if one of your lug studs is bent. It can be tough to tell just eyeballing it, but a bent stud can do that to you.

Check your parking brake on that wheel and see if it got tweaked. While you're at it, take a look at the rotor and make sure it's wearing evenly. Give it a good cleaning and make sure there's no grit between the pads and rotor. Also make sure the rotor is not bent.

Jack the wheel up and carefully see if you can reproduce the noise with it in the air. Observe the wheel to see if there's any shimmy. Put your hand on the diff and see if you can feel any knocking.

Also, this is probably something you already know and have already done but just in case... double-check your wheel mounting. When you're finger tightening your lug nuts before putting the wheel back on the ground, try to wiggle the wheel. If you find any play, tighten the lug nuts that have play in them. Keep doing this until there's no more play. If you don't do this right, you could wind up with this kind of problem.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Wub Wub is usually Tire Tire. If you have switched the tires out and it still does it I'd suspect that one of your rear axle flanges is bent, that would also explain why your brake caliper let loose. Lift the rear tires off the ground and spin them to check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts