Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have the Xentec. Hid headlights in their jk? What are your thoughts i just received then in the mail and haven't put them in yet

·
Registered
593 Posts
i had the mirimoto drop in HID which is a bit higher quality. Tons of light and often think they are better than the LED lights i tried out.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I dont know if your budget will permit, but consider a projector set up. I resisted greatly, but once I bit the bullet and got it set up, I would not go back.

I will be honest... I am one to try to find reasons to regret a purchase, but I have not one regret on a projector setup. The light beam is perfect, awesome output, nice even light, not blinding to other drivers and looks pretty cool!

I was worried about it looking like an "eyeball" but when you strip the chrome off the projector shroud, it leaves you with a nice black finish that really looks good.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
were did you get the projectors
I used these http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-stage-3-kit-h1.html

But you have to get your hands dirty since they won't fit in the JK housings. I had to cut the back out and mount them like this

Or you can get plug and play for a little over twice the price... http://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...ght-housings/morimoto-sealed7-headlights.html

I think there is a cheaper (marginally) site here http://www.hidprojectors.com/product.php?type=1 but all of the ones I've seen from there are not level. Whoever assembles those doesn't really care how they turn out.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Watch the sealed7s. They are a royal pain in the ass to fit. That's what I have, and dread the day I have to take them out to to change a bulb.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Why's that? Does the rubber bit in the back get in the way of stuff?
Yeah, on the passenger side, there is a wiring harness and a brake fluid res. in the way. I had to space out the brake res. with washers, and the wiring harness took finessing. With those out of the way, there are still air bag sensors that you really shouldn't move. I managed to get them in, but it was not easy. Thank god they are adjusted high enough, because even though there is still adjustment on the screw adjuster, there is not any room in the light buckets for any more upward movement. These are at least twice the depth of the factory lights.

Also.... I hope they fixed the housings on them. I had to completely disassemble the units and add 6mm of washers to space the projector units out more. With how they came, there was no way to get the back cap on with the bulbs connected. How that passes through a company without even a notice is beyond me.

This is how they are unmodified... and expected to be a sealed unit...

If I had to do it over, I would ABSOLUTELY do projectors again, just maybe from a company that knew what was going on...

One last thought.... their warranty isn't the best either. I had a flickering ballast, and even despite sending them a video of the light malfunctioning they insisted I send them a photo of the wires on the ballast cut in order to send a new one, expecting me to drive with one headlight until I receive the new one. Not a big deal I know, but that seems like a very poor choice for a business to make safety and liability wise.

I ended up getting a ballast elsewhere.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
That's really unfortunate. I also had a ballast flicker (wonder if its the same model?) And complained and was like look, I'm not driving with no headlights. They ended up sending me a different model ballast with the issue fixed and said that if I send a pic of the ballasts disabled then they wouldn't charge my card. Pretty painless.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
That's really unfortunate. I also had a ballast flicker (wonder if its the same model?) And complained and was like look, I'm not driving with no headlights. They ended up sending me a different model ballast with the issue fixed and said that if I send a pic of the ballasts disabled then they wouldn't charge my card. Pretty painless.

Thats good that it went better for you than me. They were pretty not understanding when I had my issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts