Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 TJ, I am replacing the D35 with a Ford 8.8 with a SYE and new driveshaft. Once that is complete I plan on working on the D30. Has anyone replaced the stock D30 front axle assembly with a XJ D30? I have a 4.0L Manual transmission with 160K on the jeep. I am running 33's with a 4" lift.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have a 99 TJ, I am replacing the D35 with a Ford 8.8 with a SYE and new driveshaft. Once that is complete I plan on working on the D30. Has anyone replaced the stock D30 front axle assembly with a XJ D30? I have a 4.0L Manual transmission with 160K on the jeep. I am running 33's with a 4" lift.
The XJ has a high pinion D30 which is desirable. A lot of people have done it including myself. Unless you find one with the gears you are looking for you will have to re-gear. You can't use your current gear set as a HP30 has reverse cut gears.

It's also easiest to just swap over your axle shafts/unit bearings/rotors. There is a difference in the earlier year models that have a slightly different unit bearing height. Swapping all of your stuff will eliminate any issues. I can't recall what the year range was. You also want to get a non-disconnect axle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 8.8 is a 4.10 and my understanding is certain XJ's had 4.10 gearing. Will I need a new driveshaft with the HP30? Just to confirm, all I need to do is swap my D30 axle shafts/unit bearings/rotors and I am done? By the way I used to live in Aurora when my dad was in the AF, I also visited Aurora when I was stationed at Lowry a long time ago.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most XJs came with 3.55 gears. The XJs that were optioned with the towing package came with 4.10 gears I believe. If you are pulling the axle out from under the XJ and the diff tags are missing or unreadable look inside the Jeep and under the A/C controls there should be toggle switch that says towing. Not sure if all XJs had this but early 90's automatic ones did. The toggle changed the shift points.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Not all xj's are high pinion... 2000? and up have the same low pinion that your tj has
Compatible axles with 4.10 gears can be found in 4 cyl 5 speed tj xj and mj

1 - 6 of 6 Posts