Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone switched satellite carriers? I was wondering if I could use the same set up (fm direct adapter, wires and antenna) if I switched from XM to Sirius. Would buying just a new receiver do? Or would I have to rewire everything and get a new adapter?
Thank you!
:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have done the same thing and initially tried to use the XM antenna on the Sirius unit. It works "OK" at best. Signal strength with the XM antenna was about a third of the signal strength using the Sirius antenna. Then you get into the terrestrial vs satellite reception...another story in itself.
As far as the power goes, probably relates to the unit itself but will also likely have to be rewired. If you have the adapter that plugs into either the antenna wire or directly into the CD changer plug, that should be the same

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

·
Im bringin flexy back!
678 Posts
have you already switched leo? we are an affiliate for sirius and can get i think 2 months free for new subscribers

·
Registered
353 Posts
off original topic but what does sirrius run a month? as i also have xm and am thinking of changing for xms loss of nascar to sirrius

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No haven't switched yet. I've been thinking about it for a while but haven't done it cause I've been lazy thinking I'm gonna have to rewire everything in the Jeep. 2 months sounds good though. If you have more details PM me please! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it's about the same 13 bucks, right?

·
Registered
353 Posts
thanks, i just looked at daves link 12.95

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stupid question: does anyone know what the difference is (when trying to improve reception) between a satellite fm tuner and a relay? I understand with the tuner you are supposed to be able to control your satellite through your stereo, but just concerned about reception.
Thanks and happy new year! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got a Sirius Startmate3 receiver as a Christmas gift and connected it to my radio using a Sirius FM Direct adapter and the reception is great. I wanted to do a direct wired connection via AUX IN or LINE IN input but since I have the radio with the in-dash 6-Disc changer this connection was not available.

Here is a link to a page with details on my install: http://www.a407.com/jeep/sirius/sirius_install.htm

This is how it came out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am Sirius now...

So I ended up switching to Sirius and set up my unit in a different place because the receiver was too big for the above the mirror location. I now have my old XM set up available for anyone interested. The pic below is the new Sirius. The link is to the old unit I have if anyone wants it. Thanks for all the feedback! Cheers :D
http://xmradio.com/xpress/index.xmc

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea I am also looking for mounting ideas... if anyone else has pics please post them :D

·
Registered
671 Posts
Stupid question: does anyone know what the difference is (when trying to improve reception) between a satellite fm tuner and a relay? I understand with the tuner you are supposed to be able to control your satellite through your stereo, but just concerned about reception.
Thanks and happy new year! :D
You can't control the sat radio thru your OEM radio with an FM tuner relay, what that does is knock out your existing FM reception and replace it with only the FM output from you Sat radio on that channel. Makes for a cleaner signal thru the FM. If you want to control Sirius over your OEM radio you'll need an OEM Radio with the 'sat' button and a Sirius direct connect tuner.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i got an xm sports caster for christmas what a joke. My reception is crummy and with the excption of opie n anthony an occasional bad word the name of song and artist i am not impressed. is it worth 12 bucks ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can't control the sat radio thru your OEM radio with an FM tuner relay, what that does is knock out your existing FM reception and replace it with only the FM output from you Sat radio on that channel. Makes for a cleaner signal thru the FM. If you want to control Sirius over your OEM radio you'll need an OEM Radio with the 'sat' button and a Sirius direct connect tuner.
Hey
Thanks for the info. I was curious because of the huge price difference. The two products I was looking at were these (I ended up buying the $20 one and it's great so far):
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d1tIqc...asp?g=247350&I=607SIRALP1&search=sirius+tuner
and
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRI...64589/catOid/-14621/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Thanks again!

·
Registered
671 Posts
i got an xm sports caster for christmas what a joke. My reception is crummy and with the excption of opie n anthony an occasional bad word the name of song and artist i am not impressed. is it worth 12 bucks ?
thats cause its a 30 dollar unit. I know you got it for Christmas but you get what you pay for.
Well that and u can blame the FCC for the crappy FM reception. even with Sat radio had to be controlled by the facist communication c*cksuckers. Aparantly with the wireless FM Modulators the signal output was too strong and would 'bleed' signal to other radios in the imediate area. Usually the FM band it would play on would be between 88.1 and 89.5. Now think back to the time you scanned thru those stations... whats there? Talk stations, Church music, you know old people stations, now then you cruise up to the stop light listening to your new XM radio, Opie and Anthony are doing something like the infamous 'Baby Bird' and the little old lady that was listening to church music is now listening to Pat getting puked on. Little old lady is appalled calls the FCC and they step in and make XM recall its product and turn down the FM output. Honestly in order to get any type of decent reception you'll need an FM Modulator or a direct input from your radio

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i got an xm sports caster for christmas what a joke. My reception is crummy and with the excption of opie n anthony an occasional bad word the name of song and artist i am not impressed. is it worth 12 bucks ?[/QUOTE

XM is not worth the 12$ we had it at work and it just blows switched to sirius and we are much happier. Opie and anthony suck they are on the fm radio

thats my 0.2 cents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts