Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Noobie Jeep owner here and amateur DIYer. Got the Smittybilt XRC Gen2 bumper with tire carrier installed by me and my brother, but I seem to be having trouble mounting my hi-lift jack to the built-in jack bracket on the tire carrier. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what, but all I have left are a pair of these parts.

the length of the bolt and the spacers seem unnecessary for mounting my hi-lift. I tried anyway and mounted the the bolts to the carrier. turns out they don't even match up with the holes on the jack's beam.

I'm at a loss here. I don't even know what those four holes above the silver-plated bottle opener are for... lol

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Interesting. I just finished this the other night. Did the SRC Gen II bumper and that exact tire carrier.

I was missing a number of bolts and had a lot left over. Made me think they grabbed one wrong hardware bag when shipping the bumper. Instructions were not that great, and as you know, nothing about the jack mount. I was also missing a bracket for the lights, so have to install those when I get the bracket. Should be able to do that though as it looks like I can put the bracket in then just snap the lights in after wiring.

FYI....2 gallan Rotopax cans will not fit on the holder. Waiting on some 1.75 gallon cans.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I've decided to ditch whatever those parts are for and just buy hardware from Home Depot to mount it. I tried using 1/2"x50mm bolts today but you will probably need around 60-70mm in bolt length and spacers for the jack to mount perfectly upright. With just the 50mm bolt it's mounted at an angle because the jack body is wide. Just some oversight that flew over my head.
The spacers shown that came with the original hardware don't fit flush into the jack's beam. And the long bolts with the welded washers are crap because the washers on them are not perpendicular, which explains why the bolts initially didn't fit through the jack correctly.

If you have the hi lift neoprene cover you'll have to mount the bolts at the 2 highest holes in the tire carrier bracket. Then you'll have to push the cover down a bit for the bolts to fit through.

and adverselection, aww man I was already assuming that the 2gal rotopax would fit! But oh well... thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hooked mine up using existing hardware. Actually left it with the 4x4 shop and asked them to slap it on there after hooking up some other things for me. Bumper and tire carrier all looks even and level, but mounted jack, and that portion of the carrier seem to lean in a little bit. Does yours look the same?

Also had those rear LED's put on a switch. They run low intensity in reverse, but when not in reverse I can turn them on and they are bright!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Bumper and tire carrier all looks even and level, but mounted jack, and that portion of the carrier seem to lean in a little bit. Does yours look the same?

Also had those rear LED's put on a switch. They run low intensity in reverse, but when not in reverse I can turn them on and they are bright!
I actually ended up going back the hardware store and got more washers and 80mm bolts to rectify the lean issue. Used the black spacers from the leftover parts and some nylock nuts to hold it all in together. Put the jack on, and topped it off with wing nuts for a snug fit and easier removal. Went for a test drive, hit a few potholes and the jack stayed put! Completely straight up too.

And I'm getting the shop to wire up the LEDs. For now, I'm fine with them just working when the reverse lights do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Adverselection,
Would you be able to share any details about how and where the wiring for the LED's is tied into your electrical system? I have same carrier and bumper on my JKU and have not wired the LED's yet.
And, thanks for the info on the jack mount. I had all the extra hardware with mine and had not figured it out. I even called Smittybilt about the hardware and they told me I must have gotten an extra bag for some other product! Go figure!!
Best,
Dean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Adverselection,
Would you be able to share any details about how and where the wiring for the LED's is tied into your electrical system? I have same carrier and bumper on my JKU and have not wired the LED's yet.
And, thanks for the info on the jack mount. I had all the extra hardware with mine and had not figured it out. I even called Smittybilt about the hardware and they told me I must have gotten an extra bag for some other product! Go figure!!
Best,
Dean
I just did the install a couple of weeks ago. Here's a link to how I did the wiring.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/just-got-my-smittybilt-xrc-gen-2-rear-bumper-how-do-i-wire-led-lights-1231425.html#post23954801

Lodewyk

·
Registered
336 Posts
I actually ended up going back the hardware store and got more washers and 80mm bolts to rectify the lean issue. Used the black spacers from the leftover parts and some nylock nuts to hold it all in together. Put the jack on, and topped it off with wing nuts for a snug fit and easier removal. Went for a test drive, hit a few potholes and the jack stayed put! Completely straight up too.

And I'm getting the shop to wire up the LEDs. For now, I'm fine with them just working when the reverse lights do.
i just ordered this tire carrier....was just curious if you could post pics with the hi-lift mounted, also do you have a 48 or a 60"? trying to see how high it sticks up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To everyone that has installed this bumper, I have a few questions and need help...

1. The bumper came with two flat rectangle metal plates with four holes in them. I used both, one as a washer for the bolts that go in the middle of the bumper and the other for the same bolts but as a spacer between the factory bumper support and the XRC bumper. It worked but it seems like the bumper tilts up slightly. Did you use both?

2. Where and how did you mount the bracket for the factory four pin towing harness plug?

3. When installing the tire carrier, how did you fasten the bottom bolt on the main mounting bracket (the one that mounts to the frame and has the circular pivot bracket the carrier mounts into? It says to use one of those nuts that is attached to the long metal pole but once the bumper is on, you can't access the frame rails. Short of removing the bumper several times, I can't figure how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting. I just finished this the other night. Did the SRC Gen II bumper and that exact tire carrier.

I was missing a number of bolts and had a lot left over. Made me think they grabbed one wrong hardware bag when shipping the bumper. Instructions were not that great, and as you know, nothing about the jack mount. I was also missing a bracket for the lights, so have to install those when I get the bracket. Should be able to do that though as it looks like I can put the bracket in then just snap the lights in after wiring.

FYI....2 gallan Rotopax cans will not fit on the holder. Waiting on some 1.75 gallon cans.
Did you get the 1.75 gal cans to work?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here you go!

Perfectly straight
RevLine
Could you let me know what size spacers, bolts, etc you used to install that hilift?? Ive been back and fourth to the hardware store and I'm getting frustrated finding something that would work.
Thank for the help in advance!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
How do you guys like this bumper and carrier setup? Thinking about buying but am unsure. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a problem with mine where every time I open the swing gate, the bolts that go down through the frame pivot walk off of each other. I think it's because my wheel + tire + jack are quite heavy, causing the pivot to bind against the bolt and unscrew it.

Eventually, they separate completely and the bottom of the pivot hinge "falls" through to the bumper below. I have to push it back up through the bottom of the bumper then re-torque the top 18mm bolt. No matter how much torque I put into it, I can see it walking counter-clockwise every time the swing gate is opened.

So until I get this figured out, I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm having a problem with mine where every time I open the swing gate, the bolts that go down through the frame pivot walk off of each other. I think it's because my wheel + tire + jack are quite heavy, causing the pivot to bind against the bolt and unscrew it.

Eventually, they separate completely and the bottom of the pivot hinge "falls" through to the bumper below. I have to push it back up through the bottom of the bumper then re-torque the top 18mm bolt. No matter how much torque I put into it, I can see it walking counter-clockwise every time the swing gate is opened.

So until I get this figured out, I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone.
Drill it and safety wire it

·
Registered
139 Posts
To everyone that has installed this bumper, I have a few questions and need help...

1. The bumper came with two flat rectangle metal plates with four holes in them. I used both, one as a washer for the bolts that go in the middle of the bumper and the other for the same bolts but as a spacer between the factory bumper support and the XRC bumper. It worked but it seems like the bumper tilts up slightly. Did you use both?

2. Where and how did you mount the bracket for the factory four pin towing harness plug?

3. When installing the tire carrier, how did you fasten the bottom bolt on the main mounting bracket (the one that mounts to the frame and has the circular pivot bracket the carrier mounts into? It says to use one of those nuts that is attached to the long metal pole but once the bumper is on, you can't access the frame rails. Short of removing the bumper several times, I can't figure how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I had the same questions as you.

1. I sandwiched the cross member that the 4 bolts travel through with the flat plates

2. Still haven't figured out where to put the trailer harness bracket. any one have Ideas or pictures for this? will I have to drill more holes in the new bumper?

3. using the pole mounted nut plate i was miraculously able to reach through a hole in the frame toward the front of the truck and reach that spot. its truly a miracle i was able to get the bolt to catch.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts