Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the front diff cover the same as the rear? As in if I buy the bombshell I should just add 2 to the cart and put the same one on the front as the back?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I shopped for a new diff cover recently and noticed many manufacturers of aftermarket covers just listed a "Dana 44" cover, not specific to front or rear so I think they're the same (at least for Rubicon). Non rubicons have different front diffs vs back though of course.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
No they're different. Unless you have a Rubicon which has Dana 44s front and rear, or some of the special editions may also have 44s front and back.
But generally all 2 and 4 door JK Sports, X, Sahara's have a D44 rear and a D30 in the front.
Check the dealer invoice if you have it, or I think, and emphasize, I think you can go on Chrysler website and somewhere on there u can type in your VIN number and it will bring up the factory invoice.
Easier yet just eyeball it. We know all JKs have a rear D44, if the front cover is not the same and a little smaller than the rear, then u have a D30 in the front.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have an 07 if that makes a difference
Sport/Sahara? Rubicon?

Also, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge than me will chime in, but didn't some early 2007 Wranglers have a Dana 35 rear?

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
65,115 Posts
I have an 07 if that makes a difference
There are a few earlier model 07s with Dana 35 rears. Just look at your cover, if it has a rubber fill plug then it is a Dana 35, if it has a metal fill plug then its a Dana 44 the most common rear differential.

Only the Rubicon's from 03 through 2013 have both Dana 44s front and rear! These also have lockers!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That helped a lot. The rear looks like it is a D44
And unless you have a Rubicon, or your JEEP has had an axle swap, you will have a D30 in front

1 - 14 of 14 Posts