Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the general consensus is on the Gladiator?. I’ve seen one (outside only) looks very plastic . Does it live up to all expectations or fall short? I don’t like to judge a book by its cover , but at the same time true colors are important .😎

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
What are your expectations?

For me, JT is too long for driving around town and on the trail, and it is grossly overpriced relative to similar size pickups. For others, it offers unique looks, cool image and unlimited modification opportunity.

It all depends what your particular wants and needs are, and how much money you have.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'll echo Aldo. Depends on your needs.

At times, I would like the truck functionality of the Gladiator, but truly in this climate I would want a bed cover that can stash some taller items. With its length, break over angle would make it a pain up here. Everything I think it needs, is just bigger.

While properly configured, it should tow upwards of 7,500 but I bet it is a lot of work.

That being said... in a different environment and starting fresh, I would have one! Longer wheelbase should track awesome on the freeway, tons of variables, lots of storage that could be a campers dream. It is truly a niche vehicle like the Wrangler.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My only problem with it is that when I go from my Wrangler to another truck, pretty much any other truck, I realize how cramped the cockpit of my Wrangler is. It would be nice to have something with a little more room. I'm 6'5" by the way.

Like above... If I didn't have my Wrangler, I'd probably get one.

·
Registered
726 Posts
After owning a Ram, the only truck that I would buy is a Gladiator. But after a life of Fullsize trucks, I love my JK. It’s fun to drive, a breeze to park, and handles my trailer just fine.

But I could see myself in a JT next time.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
As others have said, it all depends on what your needs and expectations are. As I mentioned in one of the numerous threads already out there on the pros and cons of the Gladiator, mine has been, by far, the most utilitarian and enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. It has met my needs as a Jeep...and as a truck. It might not meet yours. A friend who ordered his Gladiator the same day from the same dealer is a Certified Master Off-Road Driving Instructor with the International Four Wheel Trainers Association. The Gladiator is his main work and recovery vehicle and he has been happy with it. His is lifted and running 37s. I'm still stock but may lift it in the next few months. It's interesting that every response to this thread so far has been from people who do not own a Gladiator. Other threads are filled with negative input from folks who think the Gladiator is too big or too expensive or full of imaginary issues. Perhaps it is for them. It might be for you. I doubt you'll get much criticism of the vehicle from people who actually own one.

Reactions: bill61 and WillB

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
No, if I’m buying a PU a full size bed is a must have.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
My JT is Jeep number 8. Driving feels the same as a JKU, and I really don't notice the difference in length.
Price is high? In the long run, if they are expected to hold value as good as the JKUs and JLUs, the relative cost is a lot lower than other competitors.
Maybe not for every one, but so far, I like it more than my JKU WW

Reactions: Digger70

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Just wondering what the general consensus is on the Gladiator?. I’ve seen one (outside only) looks very plastic . Does it live up to all expectations or fall short? I don’t like to judge a book by its cover , but at the same time true colors are important .😎
Best Jeep ever made and I'll never drive another Jeep that isn't a Gladiator.

It does everything my Wranglers did, but adds 90% more payload and 110% more towing capacity.

Plus, it's just a he11 of a lot more practical. This is the Jeep they should have been building since '87.

For all the people saying it's overpriced... check back with us in 4 years and let us know how much your Rangers and full size trucks are worth. The guys who bought Gladiators will still be sitting on a gold mine.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
And adds 21” to the wheelbase over the JKU and the JKU is already quite big for off roading. - No free lunch.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
For all the people saying it's overpriced... check back with us in 4 years and let us know how much your Rangers and full size trucks are worth. The guys who bought Gladiators will still be sitting on a gold mine.
Now that's going to be interesting. FCA is working overtime to build more vehicles and inventory is saturated. This is a fact. What that is going to do is lower resale value for all of us. It's already happening. Will a Gladiator still have historically high resale values? Likely not. Higher than a big 3 vehicle? Probably, but not by as high as you hope.

In the meantime, the cheaper, bigger, more powerful, better technology truck will cost less and feel better. Having sat in all of the different high end trucks, I can affirm that every other truck kicks the Gladiators ass in quality and comfort. The Gladiators higher resale value is not going to offset the drastically lower initial cost and four years of a better truck.

Believe me, I'm a Jeep fanboy through and through and I'd love a Gladiator but it is soooo hard to justify.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
You fellows are correct. You can get a full size highly optioned truck for the same price, or less, than the price of JT. I have one, an F150 Super Crew, 2019 Platinum. The Ford is more comfortable than the JT, a lot larger, and has more features. But other than a purchase price comparison, there is not comparison. I will tell you I walk past the Ford to drive the JT every chance I get.

Same could be said about the JLU or JKU. You can get a larger suv that is more comfortable for the same price or less.

BUT, I like Jeeps, I want a Jeep and I am always going to drive a Jeep. Just happens I have a JT now and like it.

I think people should drive what ever vehicle suits their needs and budget.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
Gladiator has much more competition than Wrangler. The number of body-on-frame SUVs has been shrinking. At last count, 4Runner was the only body-on-frame SUV left to compete with Wrangler.

On the other hand, the list of midsize pickups keeps growing, and in recent years full-size pickups have added “off-road” variants.

At the end of the day, it is all that pickup competition that makes JT look a bit silly at those prices.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I like it.
Sport with tow package and manual transmission looks tempting and not very expensive though.
Do I need it? Ofcourse not, i can rent a utility trailer and haul the same if not more with my JKU when needed.
Would I buy one? Yeeees :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Now that's going to be interesting. FCA is working overtime to build more vehicles and inventory is saturated. This is a fact. What that is going to do is lower resale value for all of us. It's already happening. Will a Gladiator still have historically high resale values? Likely not. Higher than a big 3 vehicle? Probably, but not by as high as you hope.

In the meantime, the cheaper, bigger, more powerful, better technology truck will cost less and feel better. Having sat in all of the different high end trucks, I can affirm that every other truck kicks the Gladiators ass in quality and comfort. The Gladiators higher resale value is not going to offset the drastically lower initial cost and four years of a better truck.

Believe me, I'm a Jeep fanboy through and through and I'd love a Gladiator but it is soooo hard to justify.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
If that's true, why aren't the banks picking up on it? Wranglers are in seemingly every driveway in America now, yet they are still commanding the highest resale value of any SUV you can buy. The Gladiator, with it's cool factor and lower production numbers, will certainly hold value even better.

As far as all the other trucks kicking the Gladiator's ass in interior design and comfort, I'm going to disagree and every single media review that's come out in the last 10 months also disagrees with you. The Gladiator objectively has the best interior of any truck in the midsize segment, and only the Ram 1500 can beat it in the full size segment.

Plus, which other truck offers solid axles, convertible top, removable doors, forty trillion accessories and parts, and still retains a 1,600 lb. payload and the option to tow nearly 4 tons? None.

The Gladiator is hard to judge by it's MSRP because there's nothing else like it.

Reactions: 15anvil
1 - 20 of 144 Posts