Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I recently acquired a 2007 JK that from what I can tell is bone stock.

I am a bit of a computer/technology nerd and I think I have narrowed it down to these two choices for the features I am looking for.

Now to the questions:
1.) has anyone actually seen/installed the new Alpine i209-WRA? What is it that makes it incompatible with the older JKs? (I am still waiting for a reply from Alpine-USA (not holding my breath)) if it is just trim and finish issues that is something somewhat easy to overcome.

2.) For 4x the price I see the upgrades including the much larger and a full daylight friendly screen and the water dust resistance as well as generally being a newer technology all around. Of these features, it is the element resistances that appeals to me. Does anyone have real world examples of rain splashing on their Pioneer or similar hu am I being overly cautious?

3.) I would like to add some form of steering wheel control I read that going through the pain of swapping in a '11 wheel doesn't get you anywhere due to TIPM issues. Is this correct or have these issues been overcome?

I will also be swapping out the speakers adding an amp and sub but all of that I think I have under control.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
2.) For 4x the price I see the upgrades including the much larger and a full daylight friendly screen and the water dust resistance as well as generally being a newer technology all around. Of these features, it is the element resistances that appeals to me. Does anyone have real world examples of rain splashing on their Pioneer or similar hu am I being overly cautious?
I can't speak to the 4201, I have the 8200 and have been caught in a rain storm without the top on and the radio came through fine, the heater control not so much. Even the SPOD which basically filled with water did fine.

As far as dust, I have dust everywhere. Can't remove a panel with finding more and everything seems to work fine.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The Alpine restyle kits replace part of the dash and bezel, require another part of the dash to be cut to fit up against it.

Early JKs have a different dash and bezel, so the restyle pieces won't fit correctly.

^^ early

^^ late

You would have to retrofit the later style dash pieces and possibly other parts to integrate the Alpine restyle pieces, and that would be co$tly over and above the already high price of the radio and associated integration parts.

If Alpine is true to form, they will likely release a double-DIN sized radio with the bulk of the features found in the restyle that can be made to fit without monkeying with all the dash pieces.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Edit: beat to it—see above.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Alpine restyle decks are a complete factory replacement of your current deck. The will use your steering wheel controls as well as incorporate with all of the other features in your Jeep that your current deck does such as the Bluetooth and so forth. On top of that you can add the extra computer module which will give you access to all the diagnostic info from your jeep and allow you alot of extra controls such as extra lights and winch control and tire pressure and so forth.
Dont get me wrong the deck is insanely expensive and I have a hard time justify the cost but it is a work of art.
Im saving my pennies for one to couple with all my other audio upgrades.
I to am a tech Geek and actually Manage an IT Team LOL.
With you having an early JK however you may need to do more modding or have a pro installer do the work so it looks good or buy the previous gen restyle deck with can be had for at least $1000 off right now.

Background: I recently acquired a 2007 JK that from what I can tell is bone stock.

I am a bit of a computer/technology nerd and I think I have narrowed it down to these two choices for the features I am looking for.

Now to the questions:
1.) has anyone actually seen/installed the new Alpine i209-WRA? What is it that makes it incompatible with the older JKs? (I am still waiting for a reply from Alpine-USA (not holding my breath)) if it is just trim and finish issues that is something somewhat easy to overcome.

3.) I would like to add some form of steering wheel control I read that going through the pain of swapping in a '11 wheel doesn't get you anywhere due to TIPM issues. Is this correct or have these issues been overcome?

I will also be swapping out the speakers adding an amp and sub but all of that I think I have under control.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts