Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I know there are about a billion threads already on this very subject, so here is another one (everybody groan) because both my dad and I couldn't find a relevant thread after hours of searching.

Long story short, I found out that my rear axle is a stock 35, with a 3.07 gear ratio. I've been running 33 inch tires, which came with my jeep. The PO swore up and down that I had 3.73 gears, so I figured that I would ride it out and wait for an axle to blow up or something and I could do an axle swap. There was no axle tag indicating which gear ratio I had.

The 3.07 has to go. Driving uphill in third gear going 55 mph is not cool.

I debated the idea of the popular 8.8 swap, or even a Dana 44. Here in Nevada, there aren't that many options for a junkyard axle, and craigslist is pretty much useless.

My plan is to have a shop do a 4.10 re gear for me, and replace the limited slip clutches in the rear, which are pretty much thrashed, from stupid me running 33s on a 3.07. They quoted me at $1500 for front and rear, which doesn't seem too excessive. I don't plan on ever getting bigger tires, and I don't do any super crazy vertical rock crawling which requires lockers and winches and what not. So am I barking up the wrong tree?? If I was smarter, or had more money, I could do my own axle swap, but major projects typically end up with my jeep on jack stands for a few weeks, and this is my daily driver.

The Dana 35 is a great axle, said no one ever. I know that everybody says not to invest any money in it at all, but I've heard other folks run all day with 4.10s and 33s, which no problems. My dad says putting an axle truss on it will prevent all the dana 35 horror stories from happening, but my dad also likes to avoid telling me important details about how they work.

Can anybody help me out here??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I guess some other Jeep details would help.
89, with a 4.2, Howell TBI. AX15 tranny, 4 inch skyjacker lift. No other mods that I've done, but I'm finding surprises every day.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I am here in Vegas and it took me 6 months to find an 8.8. And yes it is the best for a YJ.

The D35 has issues with tires bigger than stock and lockers. They are old and beat and even though mine held up well they can be broken out here.

They break axles, spider gears and even the ring or pinion.

Check with Adams Driveshaft and see what they recommend talk with John he wheels a YJ.

Pm me if your still looking I will ask around about an 8.8 for you.

Mines going in this week if I can handle the heat. Front is in and referred just have install the rear and get it welded up.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you have a LSD in the rear that's not stock! Where in Nevada are you? I just got a 8.8 at a local junkyard here in SoCal 4 hrs away from Vegas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Reno. There is a pick and pull here, but they don't have many exploders with intact drive shafts. I've debated heading over the hill to Sacramento, where I'm sure I can get a deal on something. The shop I got the quote from is from Driveline and Gear of Reno, which is where I've had previous work done on my truck, and the Reno 4x4 forum has nothing but nice things to say about them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts