Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought and received my hoist and now awaiting some warmer weather to install it. I've read some comments in other threads about the size of the boards for the ceiling joists and thus brings my question for my application. My joists run in what the directions call the "alternate setup" meaning they run from side to side instead of front to back. The garage is drywalled. Froze my fingers long enough to get up there and the joists are 2x4s. Beyond the 2x6s that are called for is any extra support going to be needed to install the hoist?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had the alternate layout too, and ended up mounting my 2x6s in 4 sections, each one secured to two joists. The main thing was to line up the mount for each pully directly over the hardtop so they would pull more or less straight up. The back pullys being a little closer together than the front ones. No extra support, and works great.

·
Registered
673 Posts
As long as you bolt each of the 2x6s into at least 4 joists you should be good. The top is not that heavy - I think it's about 200 or 250 pounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
agreed mine is the alternate set up just installed this past weekend. as long as you secure it well with the 2x6s should be fine.. just watch out for the mounting in the top plate. i didnt get a good location and the eye screw starting working its way out... ended up using another piece of wood bracing it across wall studs and re screwing the eye screw more securely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts