1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just put a set of Hella's glass lenses and did the H4 bulb conversion for right around 100.00 big improvement over stock lights I used 90/100 watt bulbs. I got everything off of Amazon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Which shootout are you talking about? I'd be curious to read it, because the Deltas are usually ranked pretty low. Maybe they updated their reflectors or lenses or something.

I went with Cibie reflectors, Osram 70/65w bulbs and a direct-to-battery harness from RallyLights (SMS). Based on everything I've read, I wouldn't recommend going with any bulb higher than 60/55w if you're using the factory wiring with adapters... Unless you like melted wires in your vehicle.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just put a set of Hella's glass lenses and did the H4 bulb conversion for right around 100.00 big improvement over stock lights I used 90/100 watt bulbs. I got everything off of Amazon.
This is the route I went with also. had these in most every vehicle i have had over the years that use a 7 inch headlamp and I use the 80/100 H4 bulb also.
I noticed a couple people say the melted wire issue but I have had mine in for almost a year and no melted wires to date and no sign of the factory harness even getting warm. not saying it cant happen but any one have a pic of said melting of the wires? I do agree the light harness is a little skinny. the adapers are pretty beefy..one would think an issue would have popped up by now but I might be missing something
Cameron

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which shootout are you talking about? I'd be curious to read it, because the Deltas are usually ranked pretty low. Maybe they updated their reflectors or lenses or something.
This one:
JKOwners.com - The community for Jeep JK Owners

I went with Cibie reflectors, Osram 70/65w bulbs and a direct-to-battery harness from RallyLights (SMS). Based on everything I've read, I wouldn't recommend going with any bulb higher than 60/55w if you're using the factory wiring with adapters... Unless you like melted wires in your vehicle.
Yeah, I'm planning on sticking with 60/55 as I don't want to mess with the wiring at this point. I'm looking for a simple, fast, easy upgrade. Down the road I may opt for something else.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I noticed a couple people say the melted wire issue but I have had mine in for almost a year and no melted wires to date and no sign of the factory harness even getting warm. not saying it cant happen but any one have a pic of said melting of the wires? I do agree the light harness is a little skinny. the adapers are pretty beefy..one would think an issue would have popped up by now but I might be missing something.
My thing is that the factory wiring for the H13, 60/55w bulb is sized for the 10 amp max draw (5 amps per light at 60w) of those bulbs. Putting 100/90w bulbs in ups your potential max draw to almost 17 amps (8.3 amps per light at 100w) over the same factory wire. The wire WILL get hotter... Will it get too hot? Maybe. I don't know for sure, but I don't want to be the one to find out.

This one:
JKOwners.com - The community for Jeep JK Owners

Yeah, I'm planning on sticking with 60/55 as I don't want to mess with the wiring at this point. I'm looking for a simple, fast, easy upgrade. Down the road I may opt for something else.
I thought that might be the one. The only real, direct comparison in that shootout are the stock reflectors with upgraded bulbs and the IPF H4 kit (LED headlights are a whole different animal). I'd be curious to see how the new Delta DOTs stack-up against the Cibies and Hellas, though. Hillidwellers' mega article was written before the Delta DOT reflectors were out.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
My thing is that the factory wiring for the H13, 60/55w bulb is sized for the 10 amp max draw (5 amps per light at 60w) of those bulbs. Putting 100/90w bulbs in ups your potential max draw to almost 17 amps (8.3 amps per light at 100w) over the same factory wire. The wire WILL get hotter... Will it get too hot? Maybe. I don't know for sure, but I don't want to be the one to find out.

I thought that might be the one. The only real, direct comparison in that shootout are the stock reflectors with upgraded bulbs and the IPF H4 kit (LED headlights are a whole different animal). I'd be curious to see how the new Delta DOTs stack-up against the Cibies and Hellas, though. Hillidwellers' mega article was written before the Delta DOT reflectors were out.
I agree with your wattage and current analysis. It would be fine on 12ga wire to run the 100w lamps, but I don't know what size comes from the factory. I will see if I can identify it later when my Jeep gets home...

I also agree that much of what's written on headlights is now obsolete as almost everyone has new products out that replace the items that have been tested and written about.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I still don't see what the issue is with the stock headlights. Are they as bright as the luxury vehicles? No, but they are sufficient to drive in the darkest of areas. If the issue is with off-road, then you need off-road lights. I have a 2014 and don't know if older years are any different though.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
I still don't see what the issue is with the stock headlights. Are they as bright as the luxury vehicles? No, but they are sufficient to drive in the darkest of areas. If the issue is with off-road, then you need off-road lights. I have a 2014 and don't know if older years are any different though.
They are all the same, and honestly it's ok to be satisfied with the stockers... :beerdrinking:

But for me, they were way short of my expectations. I felt like I could stand in front of the Jeep with a camping lantern and see farther. For $100 and about 10 minutes swapping them out, the Hella's brought me up to where I thought stock headlights should have been.

I did mine way before any sub $400 LED options existed. I might have gone that way if they did...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Different people will have different opinions on the stock headlights. A lot of that will be because of the type of driving you do, and the places you do it. But... Spend some time behind the wheel of a Jeep with upgraded headlights and you'll quickly see what the stock lights are missing.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Different people will have different opinions on the stock headlights. A lot of that will be because of the type of driving you do, and the places you do it. But... Spend some time behind the wheel of a Jeep with upgraded headlights and you'll quickly see what the stock lights are missing.
I hear ya. My wife has a new MDX with headlights that look like spider's eyes and they are amazingly bright and clear. I can drive hers and my Jeep just the same. I do feel the need to wear sunglasses when I drive hers though. I guess it depends on how sensitive your eyes are. If I compare the JK to my old CJ, the JK has amazing headlights. For me, the JK lights are more than enough for the darkest streets. I guess they are like power windows, nice to have, but not a must have.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The JK has worse headlights than my 66 Chevy. I can outpace them at posted interstate speeds (almost to the detriment of my Jeep and a deer). I constantly double check my dash to make sure they're actually on when I'm somewhere that has street lights or traffic, because they're completely drowned out by everything around me. They're borderline unsafe and it's stunning to me that anyone is satisfied with them. Maybe mine are worse than most, I dunno.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The JK has worse headlights than my 66 Chevy. I can outpace them at posted interstate speeds (almost to the detriment of my Jeep and a deer). I constantly double check my dash to make sure they're actually on when I'm somewhere that has street lights or traffic, because they're completely drowned out by everything around me. They're borderline unsafe and it's stunning to me that anyone is satisfied with them. Maybe mine are worse than most, I dunno.
That's because Hill doesn't have enough street lights.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
So I went with these:
Delta Tech 011148-50X - Delta DOT Hi/Lo Xenon Headlight Kit for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I installed them this morning, so I won't get to check them out on the road until tonight. I'll report back and let you guys know what I think. Super easy install (about 15 minutes).

Phil
Take some beam pictures of them pointed at a wall from 25' away. I'm curious to see how they look. Also... Do they actually have the black "Delta" printed on the front, or is that just in the marketing pictures?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I went through the same thought process but the jump from these to the QTech LEDs isn't that much. One thing I've learned after years of modding is sometimes its better to pay a little more vs having to upgrade multiple times and spending even more in the long run. Hope these work out though! I'm interested to see your results.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
I went through the same thought process but the jump from these to the QTech LEDs isn't that much. One thing I've learned after years of modding is sometimes its better to pay a little more vs having to upgrade multiple times and spending even more in the long run. Hope these work out though! I'm interested to see your results.
Agree, but the prices on LED's were still $550+ when I did my H4 conversion. If they were $379, I probably would have gone LED at that time too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts