Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing is driving me crazy!! First I have a 1998 TJ, 4.0, 5-speed. I had a whistling noise, turned out to be intake gasket. Replaced that, then it started the HIGH IDLE problem. I have cleaned out the throttle body, installed a new IAC valve and new TPC, still idling high. I checked and could not find any vacuum leaks. The parts house people told me to disconnect the battery, to reset the computer, tried that and still no luck. It does idle down normal (750 rpm's) occasionally but nothing to say it is fixed. When it is idling high, it is around 1250 - 1500 rpm's. Like I said, it is making me go crazy!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
High idle is normally, 99 times out of 100, caused by nothing more than the intake manifold was not properly positioned over its positioning studs. That causes a big vacuum leak which causes high rpms.

Remove the intake manifold and carefully reposition it so it seats properly and I'll bet $$$ your problem is solved.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry, I was hoping that you would chime in!! That is just the answer I didn't want to here. Would that cause it to idle right occasionally?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, guess what I am doing later. Come on down to north ALABAMA, I'll buy the beer!! Thanks for the input

·
Registered
229 Posts
Jerry I think we need to vote you in as member of the year you always have some helpful insight to add I don't know if you here this enough thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts