Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jeep Newbie
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fighting with my horn all day. Don’t know if the problem is with the Grant steering wheel or somewhere else in the electrical system. The horn worked before I started the steering wheel replacement so I’m at a loss as to what the problem might be. A search found this info.
Another common malady is bent/missing aluminum contact pin/spring.

Keep in mind, the horn button just completes the ground to energize the relay.

At the plug that connect to the horn, the gray wire should have 12V at all times, and the black wire should show continuity to ground when the button is pressed. test those two thing to see which direction you need to go.
My aluminum contact pin & spring are intact but the horn still doesn’t work. So I removed the spring & rod and ran one end of a wire directly from the bottom of the plastic shaft (that the spring & rod reside in) and over to a ground. My theory here was that this would complete the circuit and the horn would honk. But it didn’t.

I’m confused about the quote above where Drednot says the gray wire should have 12v at all times. My horn is grounded directly to the frame of the Jeep so if the gray wire were to have 12v going through it the horn would be honking full time. Just to be sure, I tested the gray wire and it shows no power going to the horn.

So what am I missing?

Oh, and where is that damned fuse for the horn? There is nothing in the fuse box (under the dash, drivers side) that says "Horn". I checked the other accessory fuses and all of them are good. I looked out by the battery and there isn't another fuse box, at least not one that I recognized as being a fuse box.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yes. Only wire. Check the fuses in the pdc under the hood. One of the relays in the PDC also operates the horn. Swap the relays to rule them out.

·
Jeep Newbie
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes. Only wire. Check the fuses in the pdc under the hood. One of the relays in the PDC also operates the horn. Swap the relays to rule them out.
I can't find it!! I've looked all around the battery area, up in front and all around but I just don't see it!

1988 Jeep YJ

·
Registered
163 Posts
Long shot here fellas, but I had a problem with the horn button that came with the Grant steering wheel I put in my 73 F250.

All contact with Grant customer support was fruitless.

However, I was able to fix it myself. With the horn button out of the wheel and turned over, you can see a thick solid wire thing coming out the side of the button.

Pull on this, it's sprung, and actually only connected at one end. You can pull it all the way out and hook the "free" end onto the outside of the button casing.

Pop it back in and viola! Horn has been working reliably for 2 years now.

I have pics on my PC at work, will post later if needed.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Does it have a fuse block under the dash on drivers side mine does. the wire in the wheel just makes the relay kick in.

·
Jeep Newbie
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it have a fuse block under the dash on drivers side mine does. the wire in the wheel just makes the relay kick in.
Yes, there is a fuse box under the dash, drivers side. But none of the fuse's are marked "horn". I checked all the fuses thinking that maybe the horn piggybacked with another accessory fuse, but none of them were blown.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 87 2.5 has the relay under the dash to the left of the fuse box. Seems like it was white and rectangular shaped. It was the cause for my horn not working. The PO had wired the horn straight to the battery with a switch on the dash just to get through inspection. Of course I removed all that after I figured it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts